COVID-19 and writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Mar 17, 2020.

1. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

2020 has been a garbage year so far. I'd trade it in. I'd even take 2001 or 2008, honestly.

I had some months without writing, and even abandoned a novel, but I'm about 70 pages into a new one and submitted a short story the other day, so I'm back at it.

My heart goes out to people who are really isolated by the quarantine. It sucks to be lonely an anxious.

2. Birch Anderson

Birch Anderson New Member

To tell the truth, I'd been telling myself since the middle of 2019 that 2020 would be my magic year, when I'd stop being such a pissy chip-on-the-shoulder hermit and get out and meet people. At 28 and with no friends, I felt obligated. That I'd stop hoarding my stories, telling myself that they're absolute garbage, and try to allow others to read them. Then Covid-19 sprung up and flooded the US, and my plans fell apart rather swiftly. I live in the woods in Minnesota, which means I'm [relatively] safe, or less prone to infection, I should say, but that doesn't make me feel any better. Do I say "Hooray, I still have no one to talk to?"

I have plenty of short stories finished, none that I'm actually happy with, none that I've submitted anywhere. I don't expect traditional publishers to sign me up (because I don't have a million Twitter followers), so my only hope and closest-at-hand plan is to self-publish a couple collections. My novel drafts are not without some progress but still frozen so I can work on smaller projects.

The other week at work, someone asked if I began writing during the onset of the Covid-19 quarantine measures. I know it was a bit irrational to feel incredibly offended by the question, but I couldn't help it. I've been writing for a lot longer than that, and the fact that I don't have any actual proof of that doesn't help. I'll just keep writing, though.

Wild Knight and Rzero like this.
  3. saldanamoreno

saldanamoreno New Member

I only decided to get back into writing last year around the summer. Covid-19 hasn't changed my work schedule. I work in a lab for a big New York hospital. It was pretty stressful. the stress led to a profound feeling of anxiety and depression. It's tough for me. It feels right to put pen to paper and write down my thoughts, to write stories. I keep lying to myself about all of the things I would have done if there were no pandemic. The reality is my life wouldn't have changed much. Well that's not exactly true. My wife has been out of work for months and that puts a lot of stress on us. My daughter has just started the third grade via remote learning. So it has changed a lot only it isn't as drastic as my imagination makes it out to be. My fear is that this "new normal" is unsustainable for me and my family. I'm trying to stay positive though. What helps me feel good is when I set out to complete a goal and actually accomplish it with respect to my writing goals.

Birch Anderson likes this.
  4. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

This thread is long and I've only read the first post. At this point in time I can say that the pandemic/lockdown didn't help me write more, but it certainly helped me getting my finished stories ready (I create the design of my books myself, as well as the ebooks). I think it has also helped me get more beta readers and even reviews.

But the year is not over yet. I'm working on revising at the moment, but I could yet write something new.

We should have a lockdown every year, even when the pandemic is over (hopefully!). I vote for the month of January, because it's miserably cold and who wants to go out in that weather?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    J.D. Ray likes this.