Creating an evil businessman

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by SilentWaves55, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GiveMeBackMyMagic

GiveMeBackMyMagic Member

I don't think blonde hair and blue eyes is cliché at all. His colouring isn't really all that interesting. What is interesting, as detailed above, is what he does and mostly WHY he does it. From the guy has a motivation, a belief system, that can drive him to do all the evil stuff you envision, I'll eat it all up. ESPECIALLY if it's to cover up an inadequacy, fear or trauma. For example his belief could be 'I am worth nothing unless I succeed' as at home as a child he was only given positive attention when he'd achieved something amazing. Or it could be 'The world is against me and I'm going to take them all down' because he went through trauma early in his life that makes him suspicious, wanting to attack before he's attacked. There are so many ways you could go with this. You can have any cliché you want - the mousy librarian, the nurturing schoolteacher, the evil businessman etc - as long as they have motivation and emotional history they become REAL. And a complex character made complex for the sake of it can be incredibly flat to read. It's all about the HEART.

2. dprice80

dprice80 Member

Fully agree with this. You could make the businessman a cliche but if they have a good reason for being a cliche then it would work. I think having conflict is what makes a character interesting. They could be good natured, but because of the way they were brought up they think they have something to prove. A classic example (actually someone I know in real life) is someone who's father was rich and then lost all his money. The father tries to drill into his son all these phoney life lessons (usally under the influence of alcohol), trying to teach the kid to win back the family pride. The kind natured boy becomes quite selfish, power hungry, frustrated with his position, feels like the world owes him something etc., is a womaniser. That would give you a good reason for the character to do all sorts of bad things. But because the basic premise of their life strategy is flawed, things always go wrong. He eventually realises that he is a cliche, that his father was a bit of a loser who just got lucky, and that he really needs to find his real self. He starts to become a better person, but can never really let go of his greed.. etc. etc. I think that dynamic would make for lots of interesting sub plots.

3. ashtonelias

ashtonelias New Member

I’d suggest a really weird-looking strawlike toupée, a orange spray tan created with some product at Walmart, weird shiny white makeup under and around the eyes, and a massively oversized suit. Also, beady eyes and a mouth that constantly appears to be puckered out. Give him an extra whiny voice.

This is all inspiration of the moment and not based on anything in the real world.

4. James Terzian

James Terzian Member

Why not make him unassuming. Like a well spoken, gives to charity type of guy to keep up a good public image. His appearance should be like that. Maybe like a Superman where he awkward when talking but really evil master mind and the persona is just a disguise . Let me know fi you get what I am saying

5. James Terzian

James Terzian Member

that is what I last guy said lol

6. SilentWaves55

SilentWaves55 Active Member

I think it's a great idea to use and fits well.

I like this one too, thanks!