1. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

Creative Entomology!

Discussion in 'Research' started by 67Kangaroos, Nov 10, 2009.

Calling all bug lovers! It's time to name some new species! :D (you can even name it after yourself if you want!)

But first, initial entomologicallyness questions:
    1. Are there any tiny beetle-like flying bugs that swarm? And for what reasons would bugs swarm (migration? reproduction? feeding? something else?)
    2. Which kinds of bugs are, for the most part, solitary?
    3. What bugs eat other bugs? (I know spiders, but any others?)
    4. Which bugs are cannibals? (I know praying mantis, but any others?)

The next is creative naming (if you can provide a possible scientific name, that's very welcome :D ). Any and all ideas are appreciated (Since I'm using this in a book, please let me know if you would require credit for the naming... because I might make it far enough to send to publishing someday...*dreams of far off future*):

a. What would you call a GIANT (human sized) roly-poly (a.k.a. pill bug)?
    b. What would you call a dog-sized roach?
    c. What would you call a tiny beetle-like flying bug that swarms? >.<
    d. This space for creating a bug with a name to go with!

And finally, for those bug lovers who are reeeeeeally into entomologyness:

1. When identifying new bugs, what would be your first instinct - saying it's from a certain order or suborder or family or what? For example, if seeing a beetle, would you say "Oh, it's something in the coleopteran order" or would you be more likely to be able to classify it further?

2. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Can't you invent your own species of bug that suits the role and create a latin name for the fictious order?

Usually, with species, you go top down, order, suborder, family, species, subspecies...

3. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

Indeed. And I have already, though I never learned latin, so I went with "layman's" names. ;) It's really a very small part of the story, but I like to get opinions from peeps who know the stuff. (Just like, I dislike when there's some small tidbit about Japan that's so blatantly wrong or overgeneralized into trivial matter... I appreciate when someone does a little homework before they add stuff, even the small stuff, into the paragraph.)

This I know, but since I've never discovered or identified a new species, I was hoping to get some input on persons who do - i.e., is it possible to know exactly what family a newly discovered bug is just by looking at it or would it have to be a broader estimation until you got all up in the bug's business and found out just where it needed to be classified.

4. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Ok I studied latin in high school. 5 years, long time ago, in a far, far away galaxy...

But in any case, if I can be of help pelase tell me more about your species.