1. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Novel Creative Tangents

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Deleth, Apr 18, 2011.

So I've been working on my novel for a while, and whilst writing it I have been rereading the Harry Potter books in preparation for the final movie to come out (I know they are different that is not the point).

The problem is that as I read through the book I get the inkling to take a foray back into Fanfiction in the Harry Potter universe for a single short story idea I have. Here's the question, In your opinion, is it alright to put an original project on hold to write a small fanfiction project?
    (bearing in mind that I believe even writing fanfiction can help one fine tune the writers craft)

Curious what the opinions are out there. :)

2. Smoke

Smoke New Member

It all depends on some things. If thinking about the snippet is going to be like a rock between you and the book, might as well shift it. If it's going to bring friends, leave it there.

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I write what I feel compelled to write. Currently have two novels in progress and am considering a short story entry. As long as you'll be able to go back to it, I would do whatever appeals.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I think it's good to take a break from a project and work on something else. It will give you a fresh perspective when you come back to it, and you might notice things you didn't before. One thing though, if you have any ideas for the project you're thinking of abandoning for a bit, make sure you note it down so you don't forget them.

5. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Good thoughts, I really like the idea of getting a fresh perspective on what I have been slugging away at for a while as long as (and this is the important part to me) I am able to get back to the original project.

6. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

If it is so important to you that you finish your original project, then you will. You'll make yourself get back to it and finish it.

But if you're still concerned, then maybe give yourself a goal of when to get back, whether it be you write 1000 words of your new idea, or you come back in exactly two weeks. Just hold yourself accountable.

7. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Fanfiction is the best way to get away from your story for a little while, and still do something half useful. I think fanfiction is a better distraction than writing another proper story, as you're less likely to feel as comitted to a fanfic.

8. Mr. Blue Dot

Mr. Blue Dot New Member

I stopped working on my novel to try out a short story idea in a different genre recently. It was only supposed to be a 2-3 day break while I worked out more details for chapter 2 and 3 of my novel. It's now been 2 weeks, I have one 3.5K word short story, 2 others being written, and all of has been building a 1000 year timeline of the land.

Just don't get too sucked in to your quick side project! :D