1. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

Critique others -- it makes you a better writer

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by AspiringNovelist, Aug 13, 2015.

Hi All.

I've only been on the board for a short while, but I've already reaped benefits I wound't have if I had stayed in my on little corner of the writing world.

The biggest benefit is critiquing. Personally, I learn from seeing what other readers find troubling about a excerpt and what they find pleasing. Lately, I've been offering my own critiques of works and the original posters seem to appreciate the interest and effort.

And my own writing has improved dramatically -- I was never a good self-editor before, but now I can tear apart a paragraph in minutes. When in critique mode it's as if I have no pride of authorship -- I just want the best story.

So, if you have time, swing by the workshop and critique a short story,l flash fiction or novel. View the other critiques. If you're like me, it will make you better writer.