Curious about this....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lemonhead, May 22, 2008.

1. kisonakl

kisonakl New Member

Specialty: Science fiction/psychological/philosophical

It's quite difficult to write in this genre mainly because of the amount of detail needed, and the fact that it's hard to come up with an original philosophical thought, but it's also the most fun, I find.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I'm 24 and I write horror poetry, used to write fiction, but I mastered the amount of gore I wanted to with that and don't want to share it with anyone, so I've gone to writing horror poetry instead. Harder to get published and to be taken seriously in the publishing world, but meh!

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Thirty-something, and I leave the fantasy writing to my husband.

I write romance novels, niche erotica, ad copy, newsletters, newspaper/magazine articles -- all to pay the bills.

In my spare time (insert cynical laughter here), I write general fiction.

4. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

I'm 17 and I usually write general fiction, poetry and a smattering of personal essays. I've written ONE fantasy story, maybe, despite my great love of the genre.

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

12 - solely fantasy.

I started out writing mystery and adventure, though, but fantasy was always the genre that captured my imagination whilst I read, so I decided to try my hand at that. It's now the genre I write most. I write mostly novels, usually 300+ pages.

6. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Young and fantasy. Reasoning: well, I can't help when I was born, so that's the 'young' part of it :D. The fantasy...I don't feel like I know enough about the real world yet to write convincingly about it. And whenever I read history, I wind up tweaking a few things before I consider writing about it. Although I've lately started looking into poetry and writing some flash-fiction set in the real world.

7. Amor

Amor New Member

I'm 13. I write fiction, and within that genre, I write humor, drama, and a bit of just general stuff. My target audience is teenagers :)

8. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

22 - Whatever comes to my head! Right now I'm working on something that will probably be considered science fiction.

One of my writing professors told me that people who write fantasy are either young or young at heart because you've got to have an incredible imagination to write it. I completely agree :)

9. schrei

schrei New Member

I'm 16 and I write horror, particularly the gory kind. I've been told I'm sick in the mind and quite frankly, I love it:love:

10. Trave_xx

Trave_xx New Member

16 Fantasy, lol.

11. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

15 ~ anything fiction, from an American Revolutionary war minuteman to a spaceship commander. It's all good! :)

12. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo New Member

30...and mostly non-fiction and poetry. (I know, who would have thought?) But it makes sense...in both cases there is more freedom to write in the way I like to write. I know most would say fiction has more freedom, and I have over the years tried to ease my way into fiction..but there are so many rules I just cannot keep straight in it...

13. Klee

Klee New Member

19 (I'll be 20 in four months...[oh noes!]). Fantasy, but I like to think that I stay away from cliches, dunno if I actually do it.

14. IthinkSHElovesYOU

IthinkSHElovesYOU New Member

hi

14, everything!!!LOL:eek:

15. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

18- Fantasy. I think it helps to be able to escape this world every now and then.

16. Amarantha

Amarantha New Member

Almost 15 and fantasy- what a surprise! I started out with realistic fiction, but decided that worldbuilding was too much fun to ignore. It seems to me that in fantasy, I can control the tone of the whole piece more easily than if I have restrictions on what the world can be like. I try not to focus only on the world, though; my main priority is always telling the story through the characters.

I'll write poetry once and a while, but most of that has a fantasy feel to it as well.

17. Flubagalub

Flubagalub New Member

15. I mainly write comedy, but I'm currently in the very early planning phases of stories in genres like fantasy, sci fi, crime, etc (and by "very early planning phases" I mean I've got the basic idea for the story and maybe written a few pages on plot, characters, etc, but I haven't started writing the actual story or figured out all of the small twists and turns the story will take).

18. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

15 - religious fiction, realistic fiction and drama. Fantasy was always, IMO, an escape from the reality in which we live. Imagination is not always unreal - it is just reality of what we cannot see.

19. lessa

lessa New Member

from seeing how young most of you are I guess you could label me ancient.

anyway I write childrens stories. full of talking animals and imaginary friends.
    stories that use the readers imagination to get into it.

old body young head. or maybe childish would be a better description.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're still a young'un compared to me, honeybun... i'm the 'ancient'!...but now that we have a new member who's got a decade on me, even i'm not the most ancient any more...

21. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I'm 16 and I tend to write mostly short horror stories. Sometimes I scare myself! :eek:

22. blueroses

blueroses New Member

I'm 16 (soon to be 17) and I tend to write within the "normal guy going beserk" genre or the "Crazy guy isn't really all that different from you" genre. Guess I got that from Poe. :)

Though my first novel would technically be put in the science fiction catagory I tend to stick to more realistic settings.

By the way charisma I really liked what you said about imagination!

:)

23. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Chronological age...fought in Viet Nam before 1970. Yes, it looks like I am in the top three "elder statespersons" of this group.

Experiencial age...grew "old" in an instant during my first firefight in Nam and life experiences since then make me well "over the hill". I've built businesses; coached soccer, basketball and baseball; raced dragsters; ran a mental health clinic; fished tournaments as a professional bass fisherman; owned a Wing Chun martial arts school; played blues guitar for 40+ years; taught behavioral studies in college; and studied physics for an unfulfilled "career" as a theoretical physicist.

Current age...I seem to grow younger each year as I discover more things in life that get me excited. I'd estimate my present age around 31...I'm anxiously awaiting retirement so I can add more new experiences!

I enjoy many forms of writing. I wrote articles for a fishing magazine for fifteen years. Before that, I wrote a cookbook and two articles that were "published" in the local college: Modern Physics Debunks Existentialism and The French Super Phoenix Breeder Reactor - A Fool's Solution to Energy. Today, I enjoy writing sci-fi, action war stories and am working on a spy novel called "Queen Exchange". I am also trying to start a publishing company.

This is what happens to A.D.D. kids when they become A.D.D. adults! LOL

.....NaCl

24. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Seventeen, eighteen on the 10th, and I write fantasy and roleplays. :)

25. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I am 18 and have written; Cosmic/Pychological horrors, Mysterys, General fiction and Thriller stories.

My influences: H.P. Lovecraft, Edger Allen Poe, Thomas Pynchon, Tom Clancy.