Cuss Free

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

First off, I don't like the idea of the authority telling me or anyone else what words we are and aren't allowed to use. Plus come on people there is no such thing as a "bad" word. It's just a word. A series of sounds that have been strung together in order to express an idea. Just like every other word that has been created. They are only tabboo because people chose to make them that way. So as a proud American, I say **** L.A. county and **** that kid for starting this whole damn thing. It's all a bunch of humbug (which, by the way, was also considered a really bad word just a few generations ago).

2. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I dont really like anyone telling me what I can and cant say, what I can and cant put into my body, who I can and cant marry, what I can and cant buy, what I can and cant know.

Tip of the iceberg! :eek:

Kidding. Only sorta. I highly doubt LA County can last very long. I doubt it's lasted this long.

3. Nedjes

Nedjes New Member

I find it difficult to look upon any attempts at controlling language without at least suspicion, if not simple hostility.

I think a more productive use of the time could be spent teaching people how to swear more creatively.

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Words only have the power and the meaning you give them.
    If you don't give them meaning and you don't give those kind of words power it doesn't matter.
    People should be able to say cuss words all they like.
    People are people.
    And like people we will get along some days and not get along others.
    We don't need people to tell us how we speak our anger or to express how we feel.

5. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Have any of you heard of the Streisand effect?

It's the idea that when; a word, idea, or expression is banned from use, it will instead increase in use. This is supposedly because the brain sees censorship as a form of mental illness that needs to be fixed.

This usually happens on the internet but can occur in real life to. Like the time network executives asked South Park to cut down on the use of the word: shiza (can you guess what this word is in English?). What followed suit was the episode with its own personal shiza-o-meter.

I wonder if this law will have the same effect…

6. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

The No Cussing Club is the lamest thing I've seen on Youtube. I wanted to slap that kid across the face when I watched his video.

Of all the trillions of issues that he could draw attention to, swearing came up as the top one? Swearing? Seriously, this kid's just attention whoring.

7. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I try not to swear, I would really like to stop, mainly because I don't like when my 4 year old picks up the words.

But I can't get mad at him because he says them when he is supposed to. He will drop something and say, s**t really loud. It's too funny, but at the same time I don't like for him to do it. It's complicated.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Amen to that. I took a class on the history of the English language, and I was very interested to learn that some words became "bad" words purely because people thought they sounded ugly. The "f" word, for instance, was anglo saxon or something (I obviously paid very close attention...) and meant "to beat against." However, there were other ways to express the same concept that sounded prettier, so people decided that was a potty word.

And now my mom yells at me when I say it in front of her...sigh.

9. lessa

lessa New Member

Cussing seems to take different routes depending on where you live.
    I grew up in a town where a living was based on sales (so salesmen didn't swear)
    I moved to a mining town and everyone swore. even sales clerks in the stores.
    At first this shocked me since I wasn't used to it.
    I still don't swear and my 2 sons don't when around me.
    I know they do when on their own but still not to the extent that I hear other
    young people.
    It may be cultural or it may be a way to make someone feel bigger and better than
    they should.
    All I know is I hate it but what I hate more is spitting.
    yucky habits both.

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Didn't 4Chan shut that kid up? Haha
    While cussing is a rather tasteless thing, it really helps when you're so incredibly angry that no other word fits the description of your mood. So in that, I think cussing is alright in moderation.

11. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Yes, we're all going to wear little filters over our mouths. They come in pink, blue and red. Of course pink is the most popular.

Not really.
    I don't cuss anyway--I have three small kids who repeat EVERYTHING!
    Hm...I wonder how that no cussing thing is going to work with my three year old. His 'tr' sounds come out as 'sh's and his 'ck's come out as 't's. SO everytime he says "You're tricking me" (one of his favorite phrases), it sounds pretty foul... :rolleyes:

12. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

:D :D Kudos for making me literally LOL. 4Chan shuts everyone up. But everyone knows 4Chan is a joke, so it equally doesnt do anything. (I just confused myself.) All I know is that I try to avoid 4Chan at all costs after initial exposure. :p

I am confused though.
    Was this a law that was past or just something that everyone collectively decided to attempt, like a rally?
    I thought it was just a rally...

13. becca

No this was actually supposed to be an ordiance for a week or something. I read it in some online news stuff.

Mcarpenter, I would like to tell you something totally funny about little people and their sounds. My 4 year old was saying something for like a week that sounded like 'f'd in the head.' But we weren't sure. Finally realizing he was saying 'bonk on the head.

14. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, sure thing, and yup, 4Chan is a disturbing and unfortunate place. Though I never would want to be on their business end... ever. :p

15. Nedjes

Nedjes New Member

could have been worse. Could have been Sparkling Wiggles!

16. becca

I head about the sparkling wiggles thing! I didn't get to hear it, but I was told about it! That was outrageous!

Has anyone ever heard the fff.wav?