:D Batman: The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Harley Quinn won't work. They can't use her without using the Joker- and after the Heath Ledger business (and having seen the film, his performance was absolutely phenomenal) they won't want anyone else playing the Joker for a bit.

2. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I highly doubt they will reprise Heath's performance with anyone else's at all.

As for spoilers, this whole thread is a spoiler for anyone that hasn't heard of Batman :rolleyes: lol

Hugo Strange would be cool, and I think seeing a newer vamped up Riddler, and The Hush would be cool. The Penguin if you look at some of the other forms of what he has done was never a bad guy that went out and did things and then bragged right in Batman's face, like the Joker. He did stuff behind the scenes for the most part. I think they could easily make him a sub-character for the next one, sort of running the whole thing. Maybe throw in more of the Falcone or Maroni family, and Rupert Thorn, and have them work with the Penguin, since in a few comics, he ran clubs that all the mobs hung out at.

I think what is needed though is brains. They need to show how smart Batman was, because in all honesty, that was his greatest weapon. He had the ability to figure out what was going on much faster than anyone else could.

In Batman Begins, they showed us what it was like before hand.
    In The Dark Knight, we got to see the different aspects of being the Batman. We saw a much more physical side of him. If he wasn't beating someone up, he was jumping from buildings.

We need to see how he was able to figure things out.

Hell, maybe even introduce Batgirl or Robin :p

3. Oasis Writer

Here you go:

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I agree with Oasis Writer- I would love to see a much more detective-story type Batman movie. That's really what the comics are supposed to be.
    In fact, you know what would be totally cool? If they adapted the Hush story arc for the third movie.
    But then, that wouldn't really work, since that requires Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Superman, Clayface, R'as ah Ghul, Robin, Nightwing, etc....

5. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

i doubt there will ever be another joker. heath ledger's job, will put everyone of his successors to shame. and the riddler would be easier to play i guess. the riddler isn't as serious as the joker. but i hope its not the next movie. after a joker, we don't need a riddler. it's a shame they won't have penguin. he was cool. what i want to see, is Penguin, Bane, Man-bat, Firefly/Phosphorous. Robin would be a welcome thought. and the detective storyline is good also. superman.... please dont put him in. superman is too... invincible and hte only thing that can destroy him, is something from a planet that doesn't even exist. some guy with x-ray vision and he can fly around, super strength. partners up with someone that makes his tools. doesn't work out. and the uniforms. dark. and colorful. doesn't work again. But Mr. Freeze would have to be a lot of CGI, same with Man-Bat.

6. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

I think it's possible to Mr. Freeze and Man-bat with little CGI. I actually prefer movies to use as little CGI as possible.

Really, I think using the Scarecrow and Bane with Cobblepot pulling all the strings could be cool, because then you have plenty of action and a chance to build a detective story.

7. Oasis Writer

Maybe model some of these into human?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Oasis Writer

Another article that raised a lot of good points.

9. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

Yeah was brilliant :p Some people say "oh it wouldnt be so popular if Heath Ledger hadn't died", but to be honest it was always going to be the biggest film of the year, and even after they had just finished filming, before he died, there was still talk of Ledger's brilliant joker.

I dont think its as good overall as Batman Begins - not that there is anything wrong with it, but i just dont think its really possible to top Batman Begins with another Batman story because the start of it was so good.

I dont know who they could use for a villain in another one because i dont know the comics of it, though i doubt it would be the Riddler since he is pretty similar in idea to the Joker. Personally i dont see why they couldnt just invent a villain that hasnt been seen in Batman before, because generally in all these new superhero films its the stuff that they have to force in because it was in the comics that make them worse. Dont know if anyone else would be offended by actually just making a new villain though :eek:

And if they continue this series of Batman, they cannot make a Robin - even if they did try to do something about the suit, there is simply no way that someone with the name "Robin" can be made cool :confused:

10. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

LOL

anyways. they did a good job with the Joker's makeup but i thought the joker wouldn't be as serious as heath ledger portrayed him.
    For mr. freeze they would have to paint him blue and give him red contact lenses. and give him a suit. but the ice would have to be CGIed.
    Man-bat... it would probably be like the movie "The Incredible Hulk"
    a human portrays the human and then he goes into transformation and then the rest is all CGied.

I used to watch the Saturday morning Batman cartoon
    and one of them the Penguin created a superteam of villains: Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Moth, and Firefly. Penguin didn't do anything except pull the strings.

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'd like to see a combo of Talia and Man-Bat. Also maybe Killer Croc as a subplot.

12. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Just saw Dark Knight on Tuesday.

(Yeah, I know it was late, but I wanted to see it with friends)

It was awesome! Probably one of my favorite movies of all time. Heath Ledger was phenomenal. He should win the Oscar; although its a shame he died so young...

I can't think of which Batman villian they can bring out that will top Ledger's Joker.

13. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

The problem is that most of the batman villans aren't in keeping with the real-world feel of the current movies. I personally think that Bane would be great. There doesn't seem to be much else you could do to raise the stakes from this movie.

14. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

I saw the Dark Knight yesterday (waited for it to cool off a bit) and yes, surprisingly I'm going to say it was awesome. I was very sceptical of going in and coming out loving Heath Ledger's performance just because he died, but I honestly do think that it was an incredable performace. The way he was funny and scary at the same time.

The only real gripe I had with it was that there was so much stuff happening with so many storylines that I feel like Batman got pushed into the sidelines a bit. It would be quite easy to watch the film and forget that Christian Bale was even in it. Sorry if someones said this already.

Other than that amazing. I wont list all the good bits because it would take too long, but I will definitley be seeing this again at the cinema, and buying it on dvd. Incredable film.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

The next Villian is King Tutt. They want to stay away from the Penguin and Riddler because Nolen doesn't feel they fit the profile for the image and ongoing corruption story arch.

16. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Whoa, hey, cool, I'd prefer that infinitely to the Penguin or Riddler. Can we get a source, though? I'm always skeptical with movie news.

17. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I don't like the premise behind King Tutt. I hope this isn't real.

18. StealSniper

StealSniper New Member

Alright, now I know it's pretty obvious they won't recast the joker, but honestly they should. It's not a disgrace to Ledger, it's more of a testament to what he became.

The story would be cool if it was....(SPOILERS AHEAD)

Tell me what you think please, I personally think this story would be a very good one to adapt to reallife.

The Joker, at the end of the movie appeared to be caught, so we can safely assume that he is now a resident of Arkam asylum, along with Scarecrow. So who would be a perfect 3rd villain for the next Batman... Well Harley Quinn of coarse cause then she could break the Joker, Scarecrow and maybe even one other new villian and thus starts the new plot. With so many 'famous' villians out bringing Gotham back down to the disgusting city it once was, the people of gotham would have no choice but to forgive Batman.

Coming into the start of the movie, You would see Batman running, jumping, and zipping through the streets, alleys, and rooftops dodging the massive police force chasing after him.

With Batman occupied by the Police chase, this would give Harley Quinn the oppurtunity to rescue her beloved Joker with minimal problems. However since the Jokers recent stay at Arkam, he has made some friends, and thus some nefarious plans. So despite Harley's begging him not to, she finally gives in and thus releases Scarecrow, and one other villain.

After this 10-15 minute opening scene, we go back to Bruce Wayne who has just made it back safely to Wayne Manor. Met immediately by Alfred. Bruce is beaten and tired, Alfred can see this, just cues a conversation that eventually leads to Bruce finally throwing away the Batman costume for good.

This will then cut to a scene with the scarecrow creeping back to the mob, and is oddly welcomed back with open arms. They throw a party for a short bit, but this is just a cover-up and a wait for the true mob-boss to come in, and thus enters a massive beating of the Scarecrow, who marconi believes double crossed him and that was why he was questioned in court so much. The beating occurs mostly to his head. But the damage is plainly clear around his lips, which they tore off. They leave him bloodied, and to die.

However the Joker's spy (Harley Quinn) had informed the Joker of scarecrows deeds, and he was none to happy, however he got there just in time to save the foolish villian. After a few quick, surgerys (lightly meaning the Joker just adding some makeup and what not to scarecrow) he goes over to a table, laughing he picks up a mask and says "Ya know, I was going to give this to Harvey Dent, but seeing as how he's dead and your face looks about as bad as his, why don't you take it, it's an improvement TRUST ME." and with that the joker throws the scarecrow the mask. He puts it on, and thus enters scarecrows new identity Black Mask.

So now the Joker obviously in a very angry and annoyed mood, starts his plans for gothams destruction once more. He does it this time by going directly to the source... (i don't remember that guy who found out batman was bruce wayne, but I'm pretty sure he didn't die.) So the joker finds him in a jail cell, refusing to give up batmans identity already to the police. The joker busts him out, takes him to the top of a tall building, threatening him to throw him off if he does not tell him who batman is. After a few lunges he finally gives, and with the joker having the information he throws the man off the building.

The Black Mask heads back to the mob, this time with Harley Quinn beside him, they quickly take out Marconi and most of his loyal men, and thus Black Mask becomes the new leader of the mob.

With Black Mask and his twisted mind he quickly becomes the crime lord of gotham, striking fear into every citizen of gotham, even the most nefarious ones. Crime rate rises astronomically high, but despite all this Batman is no where to be seen...

Bruce Wayne hides in the sanctity of his manor, and job at Wayne Enterprises, but he never does leave the manor. However Alfred demands he leave, in fact threatens to quit if he does not go out and do something, anything. So of coarse Bruce agrees, he grabs his coat and heads out to the inner streets of Gotham, at night. With Bruces brief visit he sees that Harvey Dents heroicesq death did nothing, and the villians of Gotham are relentless.

He returns to Wayne Manor, but as he enters he sees the Joker... and then he sees Alfred painted in the jokers face-paint, and the Joker face-paintless. It is also painfully obvious Alfred has been killed, and now the Joker brings in one of his demonic laughs. "Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Man himself eh? the great "Dark Knight" of Gotham. I see you have thrown away your batsuit (the suit that the Joker dug up from the trash) tis a shame Brucey. I won't kill you, but make no mistake I want to see you again. Not in tuxedo, but preferably in a different kind of suit." With that the joker dissapears via a smokebomb.

This would take place within the first hour maybe hour and a half or so of the third batman and you would then see where the movie would be headed, Black Mask falls for Harley, Joker kills Black Mask, Harley gets angry double crosses the Joker, he gets caught... and Harley quits her evil deeds. She returns her hair color back to normal thus revealing... Rachel!!! (honestly think about it, it's possible the joker may not of killed her, maybe he converted her when he captured her)

Oh btw that third villian that escaped, his identity would be kept secret until the end and he would enter (a.k.a The Riddler, Hugo Strange, or Deacon Blackfire)

Personally I like that story lol.... what do you think.

19. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

Sorry but i think it would be a terrible idea to bring the Joker back... and not just because "Oh it would degrade Heath Ledger's memory." I dont usually like it when they change actors during a series, and especially in this case, it will simply be a case of "he wasn't as good as Heath Ledger" for most critics - and the chances are they will be right.

Also, the Joker already had his get out of jail free in the film, not to mention he stole the limelight from Batman and dominated the entire film. As good as he was, people dont want to see him again (even if they could get Ledger back). The main (and basically the only) criticism i have heard of the film is that it was too long and was simply the Joker unleashing different attacks on Gotham over and over again (one of which could probably have been ommitted, possibly the hospital / kill the lawyer bit). The last thing they need is to have another film full of the same old crazy antics ;\

And am i the only one sick of Scarecrow? I can hardly believe the amount of "Who will be the next Batman Villain" articles i've seen online that say Scarecrow should return... i mean, he was a lowly villain in Batman Begins, a pawn, a bit of filler to give Batman something to do before the real villain, Raz Al Ghul (who imo is the best villain of the series so far), was revealed. He made a brief appearance in The Dark Knight as a novelty, and to provide an opening action sequence for Batman to get involved in before he started taking on the Joker. He is not coming back :mad:

I have never read any comics, but from looking at new potential villains, i do think that if they really must go with another comic book villain, the Black Mask is a good candidate - if done in a much less comic-booky way. He has ties to the mob, so is realistic in the new setting, and all they have to do is have him wear, you guessed it, a Black Mask over his head and give himself a scary name, something which the audience may actually believe. Also, i read that in the comics he bears a grudge against Bruce Wayne rather than Batman, which could be an interesting angle if translated into the film.

But while i'd still prefer them to make up a new villain not from any comic book, i predict they will use 2 out of The Riddler, the Penguin, and Catwoman in the new film (most likely the Riddler or Penguin as the main villain and Catwoman as a side story), because these are the most famous Batman villains and will probably appeal to the general, movie-going public more than some weird thing known only to people who read issue #1789 of Batman. I mean, people who were obsessed with the comics will go see the movie regardless, but your average viewer probably isnt going to be interested in seeing some monster from, yet another, failed science experiment, or someone given superpowers from radiation, or some weird guy that thinks he is in Alice in Wonderland.

The Riddler could be done as others have said, as a genius who helps the police solve crimes. The ending of the Dark Knight sets it up so that the police will be hunting Batman, and this opens the door for a story involving the Riddler helping them to try and track him down (though perhaps he has a motive of his own). They could not portray him as a cackling Joker-wannabe.

The Penguin could easily be brought in as some mob boss with a twist, though the name is a bit stupid - dont know what else to add to this, will be up to the film makers to come up with a story for him if they use him.

Catwoman would most likely be used as a side story, as i dont think she could make a true villain.

Long Post :eek: I can only hope that they dont ruin this Batman series of movies by either becoming too comic-booky or continuing longer than they should :confused:

20. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

Well, I definitely don't think the Joker will return. There is no way anyone can compete with his performance.

Being a Batman fan since I was born, I know without a doubt that Heath Ledger came the closest to playing the Joker and was the best. Jack Nicoleson was okay, but he didn't want to go as far as Ledger did because he kinda new what it would do to him physically and mentally.

Anywho, a new villain should make an appearance in the movie, not one of the ones portrayed already because some of them aren't realistic enough for the new Batman movies.

Mr. Freeze is out. Not realistic enough. Same with Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, Killer Moth, and maybe Clayface (the original Clayface had a deformed face). Scarecrow is a lowlife criminal and I'm kind of disgusted at how he was portrayed in TDK. Not too much depth left in his character.

Harley Quin is a good idea, but not a likely choice. The Joker was the one who pretty much created her and without a Joker I doubt Harley will make a scene, unless she is shown pre-Joker state as a psychiatrist.

Too bad Two-Face had to die. He was at the top of the food chain of villains in Batman.

Deadshot would be a worthy villain. He's realistic enough and is a perfect sniper. He would need to be very professional and look like a renowned gunman though so he wouldn't have to look like Bullseye from Daredevil. They could either use Deadshot or Deathstroke (aka Slade from Teen Titans) as an alternative.

The Riddler would be a good choice too, but not a funny Riddler like Jim Carrey. It would have to be a serious Riddler and someone with better riddles.

The penguin is also an okay choice. He doesn't have to look like a screwed up midget like Danny Devito in Batman Returns. He could honestly look like a real person but just look like a penguin (I had a math teacher that I thought would look like the penguin).

Catwoman I doubt they would use because of her own movie they released several years ago and was a flop in the box office. They could reboot her like they did the Hulk and make her convincing, but I doubt it.

Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia Al Ghul could make an appearance and avenge her father's death and stuff like that. That's always a possibility.

Black Mask is also a good choice since he holds a grudge against Bruce Wayne.

Bane, though I don't like the guy, could absolutely dominate Batman on an enhanced steroid or something. He doesn't have to look all juiced up like he did in Batman & Robin and how he does in the comics and cartoons. He could just be a very burly guy who's a drugy.

The Ventriloquist and Scarface? And also Mad Hatter is just to....weird.

Firefly is a possibility, so is Hush.

21. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I really don't think Hush is a possibility, due to all the characters required to pull off the true badassness of the plot.

22. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

Scarecrow was the villian in Batman Begins, wasn't he? I loved how the director brought reality into the scarecrow, protraying him as a real life human villian and how he used the poisen upon his victims.

23. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I think the next movie should have two villains - like in Batman Begins. One is working for the other and that one is a distraction for Batman, while the other one is doing something small, but he/she does it so small that no one notices. So like setting something up to take a dollar from each check that gets cashed in. It's small, but all these people are doing it. I think Firefly should be the distraction, he is like a mercenary after all. And he should work for Mr. Freeze. But like BrinkOfDawn said, not realistic enough. Mr. Freeze would be perfect, he has no motives, all he does is rob banks etc. Unless you count his wife. That's his only motive. They should just take advantage of the chaos and run a couple of scams etc. and they start stealing from Bruce Wayne's bank account. Whatever.

24. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Hey, that guy who tried to blackmail batman's still alive right? They could do something fun with him.

Wouldn't it be cool if two villians started a crime war with each other and Batman got caught in the middle? What would a villian do if they saw a threat that was bigger than Batman?

25. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Isn't that what the Joker and Two-Face had running for a brief period in this movie?