:D Batman: The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Just a quick question. I live in LA, and am planning on buying tickets as a gift for some friends and I to go and see this movie. I'm just wondering if it's really worth it to see it at the IMAX theater on a 90 feet wide screen. I've never been to an IMAX, so I have this vague image of people craning their heads just to watch an actor on screen walk to the other end of the room for a cup of water.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

2. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

SPOILER ALERT

One of the things, and there are a lot, that annoyed me about this movie most is the nature of the dialogue. Not the fact that it sucks or that it’s delivered badly, but that it never seems to break away from being expository. Instead of having realistic or even stylish, clever conversations/interactions, the characters simply stand around and state what is going on, who this person is, why this is happening, as if to say “you might THINK our plot is muddled and our themes non-existent, but HERE’S why it’s so deep and intellectual”. The dialogue is more of a running commentary on the “plots” development than a means to entertain through good ol’ fashion character development. Was Batman even in this movie, or was that a doll with a pull string that prompts it to spout out cheesy inspirational and/or “moody” phrases to let us know he means business? Phrases which seem to be the same idea repeated over and over again with slightly different wording. “Batman did this to himself”, “Sacrifice…something something”, “Being rich is hard…”, “Letting people die is way better than using their modified magic cellphones to save them from utter destruction… I’m Morgan Freeman” and so on.

Here’s an example of how Nolan chooses to tell us everything instead of showing us:

-First scene of the movie, Jokers men preparing to rob the bank. Instead of just letting the scene play out silently, allowing the mystery of the Jokers plan to (possibly) intrigue the audience enough to stop them from walking out, he decides to give these henchmen cheesy, unrealistic dialogue as they DISCUSS how mysterious and, basically, how badass the Joker is. Another option would have been to SHOW us how badass the Joker is by having him do something…I don’t know…badass. The pencil trick is pretty much the only thing I liked about this movie because it was physical, visual, and the only thing stopping this movie from being better suited for a radio play.

Basically, Nolan is too wrapped up in his own self-love, or perhaps admiring the endless beauty of Chicago, to realize that having the characters state complex or compelling ideas is not the same as actually exploring them through the film.

So sadly enough, the characters in Nolans film are basically the same as the deluded majority who tell us The Dark Knight is the second coming but, tragically, can’t show us why…

3. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

TDK is worth it. Do it:D

4. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

No, don't.

Transformers was good on IMAX because of the overbundance of action.

While TDK is not, because it has none. Even the crap-stacular HellBoy and TIH had better action than the Dark Knight, which is unfortunate.

5. Raven

Raven Banned

TDK is certainly worth seeing on the big screen and I recommend it fully.

Eyezforyou remember when giving parts of a movie away not everyone has seen it so do put a spoiler alert on the start of your post as you'll find I've done for you.

~Raven.
    Senior Super Moderator.

6. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

Everyone will have their own opinions about a movie but I wouldn't judge it till I see it.

Still Life, I wish I would have seen TDK in IMAX midnight showing because I am a very big Batman fan. You aren't losing much to see it in IMAX and my advice to you, my own opinion, is to try it. Doesn't hurt to try.

7. Raven

Raven Banned

Seconded. ;)

8. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

That is one big Spoiler Alert.

Lol

9. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

More on my opinion about TDK, I'm rarely completely blown away by a movie so much that I want to see it again and TDK is a movie that accomplished that.

The last time I was completely blown away was with Transformers and before that Revenge of the Sith. I honestly don't look at the details of a movie and critique it to the bone while watching it. A movie I'm extremely passionate about I'll only critique the story and hardly anything else. The story of TDK got to me more than anything and I didn't need to look at anything else really and that's what makes me love the movie so much. That's what makes me a fan of Batman.

10. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I'll be heading off to IMAX then, though it's bit costly, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the spoiler EyezForYou. Don't worry about it, I like being spoiled. I can still cry at the end of a movie, even though I already know the ending. I guess the anticipation always gets to me. My friends want to see TDK, so no matter what I say, it's TDK. Judging from your words, I might actually like it - the cheesey dialogue. I read a lot of comics (DC included), so this may be why I'd appreciate the "tell" instead of the just "show". On the other hand, I might not. I didn't like Transformers (felt no connection with the characters), so I'll just have to see.

11. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Dude, you need to watch more movies.

Expand your horizon. Try independent films; foreign films. You haven't even seen Old Boy, have you?

12. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Cheesy is the wrong word.

More insipid, vapid, bombastic blathering.

13. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

lol, I may share your sentiments after seeing the film. I do watch a lot of independant and foreign films actually, Last Life in the Universe (pen ek ratanaruang) and Earth (Deepa Mehta) being my two most recent ones.

However, TDK is based on a comic. I always seem to approach films differently depending on their origins.

14. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

I actually watch a lot of movies, independent too like White Rainbow and some old foreign films like Baron, The Great Dictator, Rashomon, and The Hidden Fortress.

No I haven't seen Old Boy, but I've wanted to read the manga :D

15. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Oh, please, please, PLEASE no on Angelina Jolie (or Jessica Biel/Alba/any other overrated "hot" actress) as Catwoman. PLEASE NO. That idiot can't be let anywhere near one of my favorite comic book characters, let alone my favorite female comic book character period.... JUST NONONO.

I'll protest... I will... I mean it!!

lol, okay I won't, but it will piss me off very, very much. :(

16. Raven

Raven Banned

Personally I doubt Angelina Jolie will play Cat Woman in any of the Batman Films. But sadly she is to play Catwoman in the sequal to Halle Berry's. Comsidering Jolie has pushed for this Its a dead sert she'll done the black cat suit for a third outing also. But then I have faith in Jolie playing Catwoman in a spin off because she's not so bad. ;) But I doubt very much She'll be in any Batman Film.

17. StealSniper

StealSniper New Member

hey i found a batman roleplay board, it looks promising, it appears that they are just starting out, so please join and help'em out :) I really would like to see this one work, the guy put a lot of work into it, you can tell.

[Link Removed]

No links to other forums please, we're not a stopping gap between forums.

~Raven.
    Senior Super Moderator.

18. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

awesome, I suppose.

Don't think a stand alone Batman RPG would work though.

19. Raven

Raven Banned

Naa me neither. Justice League may work at a pinch.

20. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

Maybe a Marvel vs DC would work.

idk.....