1. Lucy1712

Lucy1712 New Member

D-Day approaches...

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Lucy1712, May 14, 2014.

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this question, so bear with me!

I'm fast approaching the point where I'm considering my manuscript to be *almost* ready for beta reading and/or sending into publishers.

My questions are thus:

1) In your opinion, who constitutes the best person to ask to beta read your manuscript?
    2) When sending out query letters, do you send to more than one at the same time? Or send it to one, wait for any response, and then send it to another?

Thanks in advance for any responses! :)

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

1. Someone who can give you an honest and informed opinion. So family and close friends are most likely not the best choice.

2. Send out multiple query letters at a time.

Oh, and congrats on making it this far!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

1) In your opinion, who constitutes the best person to ask to beta read your manuscript?

...only those who you can be sure are able to tell professional quality writing from any lesser level... such as professional editors, agents, successful authors [not just anyone who's self-published a book, or sold only a few copies of traditionally published ones], and the like... never ask the opinion of family, friends, or anyone you're sleeping with, as it can wreck the relationship if honestly negative, or lead you astray with unfounded praise...

2) When sending out query letters, do you send to more than one at the same time?

...yes... that's the norm... not a huge number, but several... making sure that you are querying only agents/editors/publishers who rep/accept the kind of book you have to offer...

Or send it to one, wait for any response, and then send it to another?

...this applies only to submitting the actual ms to any who specifically state they want exclusive submissions and/or that they do not accept simsubs [simultaneous submissions]

good luck!

love and hugs, maia