1. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

DailyScienceFiction.Com-Has anyone submitted/published through them?

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by criticalsexualmass, Feb 18, 2014.

I was considering submitting some articles to them as my SCIFI stuff is coming out better than anything else right now. Has anyone dealt with them? Just wondering if you have any good/bad experiences

andrew smith likes this.
  2. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

look them up at writer's beware and see if they're in there. That's the best place to go before submitting to any magazine, agent or publisher. It's a very good resource.

http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/

andrew smith likes this.
  3. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I haven't sent them anything yet (though I plan to), but I have subscribed to their four-free-stories-a-week email service for a year or so. The quality of the stories seems to be very uneven, ranging from as good as I've read to unreadable.

Their business model seems to be publihing the stories via email for free and then bundling them into anthologies that they sell on Amazon. Eight cents a word to the author for the original publication and another five cents if your story makes the anthology.

If you have something good, give it a try and let us know how it worked out.

andrew smith likes this.
  4. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

I've been meaning to submit something there; I've been subscribed for a while, but haven't read many of the stories. With those payments, I may give it a try.

andrew smith likes this.
  5. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

When I searched on writer beware many of the contributors to that organisation actually have dailysciencefiction.com on their list of writing credits so I feel a lot better about them now.

andrew smith likes this.
  6. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Good deal! Always check with them before signing with agents, etc etc. It'll save your rear. :)

andrew smith likes this.
  7. Tom Never

Tom Never New Member

I've sent two very short stories so far, one has been rejected, the second one not yet, ah!

I subscribed a good while ago and receive daily stories. I have no idea what they are doing. Many stories are... For example, for one week every story was in second person and they all were written in list form: you wake up. You eat. You go. You feel surprised. You smile.

Today I noticed that many stories are written by the same guys. Which, if we believe there are like hundred thousands of people who send their works, it strikes you how can one individual got multi-published. Also today's story is authored by a certain K.J. A*** a guy who has more than 5 stories published and writes exactly like another author, who has also many published stories on the magazine and calls himself J.K. A***, yes the surname is identical.

It makes you wonder a bit what is the real deal with this magazine and if we are just wasting time and, perhaps, sharing our ideas with the wrong people.

8. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I've been shortlisted there a couple times. If you get out of the slush pile, they will email you directly, which is nice. They'll actually let you know that you're in the running. Never managed to cross the finish line there. To be fair, I'm much better at short/flash now, so maybe I'd finally stand a chance if I tried again. Hmm . . .