Tags:
  1. Dauracul

Dauracul New Member

Dark Fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Dauracul, Feb 21, 2011.

I've noticed my primary writing genre for my stories is dark fantasy. I suppose I should actually call it 'mature' fantasy, because it's not the traditional vampires / werewolves / horror that is associated with that title.

My stories have blood and gore. They have controversial concepts. People completely die, and I am well aware that younger readers would have no place reading my work; that is fine.

My question is, all the fantasy I come across these days is very young-adult themed. Concepts I regularly go full-force into like death, blood and gore and so on, are dulled down or even completely removed. Are there any authors or novels out there on the market right now for mature fantasy? I'd definitely like to read some if any are out there.

2. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Try any of the Shanara or Word and Void novels by Terry Brooks,

It is not blow by blow action but it is defiantly not for the faint of heart for the most part, especially the Word and Void series (which is 3 books total). Definatly not meant for young adult readers, but also not as graphic as Final Destination. It strikes a balance between the two really.

Just my thoughts, I don't read the extremely descriptive stuff as I find it takes away from the story for the most part (in my opinion)

3. Sweet and Full of Grace

Sweet and Full of Grace New Member

Imo, all the dark and gory blood and guts seem far too unnecessary for the plot and character development of the story. So unless people "like" to see messed up deaths and dark, dramatic battle clashes with vivid descriptions of head being chopped off, the story won't move forward, at least in my honest opinion.

4. NathanaelWorks

NathanaelWorks New Member

I think that it can be interesting when bad things happen. Just don't make it a gore fest; there really isn't any talent in that.

5. Spring Gem

Spring Gem New Member

The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin and Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson have mature themes and are quite grim in places.

6. Dauracul

Dauracul New Member

Its not a gore fest, sorry for the generalization. I only really use blood and gore where it's appropriate. There are dozens of other adult themes than just that, I'm far more interested in more psychological and mythological concepts in fantasy to be honest.

7. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Vampires and werewolves are generally considered part of the horror genre, not fantasy.

Dark or gothic fantasy isn't necessarily gory or bloody or have lots of death. It explores themes or ideas that may be considered controversial or difficult to deal with.

For example, the original Frankenstein novel can be considered dark fantasy, not because the MC is reanimating corpses, but because the MC has discovered a method to bring bodies back to life. 'Should the MC put this discovery to use and how does he deal with the consequences?' are the themes explored in that book.

Other books that fit under dark fantasy would be the Warhammer Fantasy novels and The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. The themes in those novels pit the MCs against following the path they know to bethe righteous path, or give in to the vices of corruption.

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

As far as blood and gore, descriptions can be great, but really striking the reader's imagination will add more depth to the experience (I guess that's the way to say it) than any combination of words on the page. Giving enough and let the reader's mind fill in the blanks.

You might find Laurell K. Hamilton's earlier Anita Blake novels of interest, for dark fantasy--although they do have zombies and vampires, etc. Some of Stephen R. Donaldson's novels might be up your alley. Not the darkness, but some of the other aspects...the main character basically begins the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series by raping a young girl, believing the world he was in is a dream where his leprosy is healed and he has nerves and feeling again. But that isn't the focus, there is a lot more going on.

Some of Michael Moorcock's Elric novels might be of interest as well. Of course, most of the Elric novels are not really 'these days' books.

Every writer has something to say--even if the purpose is simply to entertain. So having gore and controversial concepts and the way you present them within the context of the story, Dauracul, is your style. Sure, younger adults help spark interest and sales, but there is room for well-written adults only writing.