1. Dark_Powers_343

Dark_Powers_343 New Member

Dark_Powers aint so powerful.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dark_Powers_343, Jun 11, 2013.

Hey, everybody! Screen name is Dark_Powers_343 and I am a Christian! Been on these forums for a few weeks, posted a few critiques, and still can't figure out how to post an excerpt from my novels lol! :D Came here, figured it'd be best to post here and get some general idea how to do it seeing as I'm not sure I followed the rules on posting well enough... I am after all, a noob!

Thank you for your attention! And yeah, it'll be a while before I figure out how to post an excerpt!

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Hey Dark Powers! :D

Assuming you've met all the requirements that are to be found in the Rules section of the forum, just scroll down to the lower section of the main page where you will find the Workshop. There you will find different areas and sub-areas for different kinds and genres of writing. Find the one that best fits what you have and start a new thread. Simple as that. If you are looking for varied critique, my best advice is to keep your posting short. Full length, 3000 word posts are daunting for the critics and tend to get less in-depth attention than a more manageable "bite" of text. ;)

3. Michael O

Michael O Member

I disagree...

There's Mounds and then there's Dark Chocolate Mounds. There's Chocolate Covered Cherries and then there's Dark Chocolate Covered Cherries.

You have no idea of the power of the Dark-Side. :)

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Dark Powers,

It doesn't look like you've met the requirements for posting your own work yet. You only have 7 posts, and you need 20 or more (as well as being a member for at least two weeks and posting at least two constructive critiques).

Post some comments in other threads and you'll meet the requirements in no time. Have fun!

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Lindt makes a Dark Chocolate Chili bar that would certainly leave me supplicating. ;)

6. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I was expecting some sort of debate about the usage of Dark Powers/evil antagonists in novels...

But welcome anyway! ;)

7. Dark_Powers_343

Indeed.... I pray that Master Vader does not find out I doubted the Dark-Side.... of the chocolate! :D

8. Dark_Powers_343

thanks, minstrel! That'll definitely help! *gives a Megaman X5 Zero-styled thumbs-up*

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Dark Powers, Welcome to the Creative Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Writing Workshop before you try to post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here anyway. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Writing Prompts, or the Writing Workshop, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the site rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Writing Workshop, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. We also impose a two-week waiting period before you may post writing for critique, to give you time to become familiar with what is expected and how the site operates. The Writing Workshop forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Writing Workshop forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

10. LadyWriterOnTheTV

LadyWriterOnTheTV Member

Greetings, fellow Christian!

When I think of "Dark Powers", my thoughts harken back to stories I have read in decades past by a man named Frank Peretti.

Or is Powers more to do with the Austin character who shares that surname? :p

11. Dark_Powers_343

No, lol.... "Dark" refers to the secrecy that is required in order to remain successful, and "Powers" referring to one's hidden and/or obvious abilities, the name was inspired by one of my novels-in-progress entitled "Beast Hunters: Religious Blade"..... and tbh, I've never heard of Frank Peretti.... I'll look him up! And may God bless you!

12. Faust

Faust Active Member

Welcome aboard, I love your avatar. Kind of like a steam-punkish chic Dark Magician....(No I did not just reference the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game of which I claim no knowledge or wherewithal. >_>; <_<;)

I hope you enjoy your time here~

May your path to literary success be lighter than your name implies.

13. Dark_Powers_343

Thank you, lol, the avatar is a screenshot of a Shadow Slayer from the MMORPG Adventure Quest :D I'm a bit of a nerd so yep! And my path to literary success will be full of trials, but all the more sweeter to enjoy!

14. GriffinGarcon

GriffinGarcon New Member

Dark Powers,

Welcome fellow Christian!
    I love your sense of humor. Come on, make it 20 posts already, and post chapters from your novel (Go to Writing Forums-Novels-then post it chapter by chapter, obviously not the whole novel at once!)

I want to know everything about the Beast Hunters and the Religious Blade. We need something fresh in fantasy.

God Bless,
    Griffin