Dealing with ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Daniel, Jul 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Everyone has been through this at some point in their lives. I can't come to give a specific situation that I've gone through with this at the moment, but it has happened. It is just a matter of coiencidence (spelling?, please) IMO.

2. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Bear in mind that a dozen people can write what is, essentially, the same story, but only one of them is going to be the best.

aimi - "coincidence"

3. Phantom_Brainwash

Phantom_Brainwash New Member

I always tell this little story I found in Reader's Digest a couple of months ago when people are getting down about the whole idea thing:

There were these two comic strip artists, one in the US and one in the UK, never had any form of contact with each other. They release a comic strip on the same day on their respective sides of the pond, its name: "Dennis the Menace" both strips were about a little annoying boy, however UK's was more distructive and darker looking, plus the artist had a different style.

UK:
    [​IMG]
    US:
    [​IMG]
    The artists actually laughed about it together then continued with their strips because they were still really different.

What does that mean for you? Just go with the idea, as they say in the adoptables threads "Don't be afraid to adopt the same thing as someone else, you may start with the same character/name/plot/idea but you will end up with two different stories..."

~Phantom

4. Protar

Protar Active Member

I'm sure this has happened to me before but can't think of any off the top of my head. Some examples would be interesting.

5. ImaginaryRobot

ImaginaryRobot New Member

A lot of people will say that there aren't any original stories, that every story has already been told in one form or another. Some idealistic part of me wants to believe that there are original stories out there, but I don't really believe it.

What's original is your voice and viewpoint. You can take any story or concept and make it interesting and exciting because nobody in the world writes exactly like you.

6. MRD

MRD New Member

Alrighty then, here’s my problem, I have too many ideas to turn into stories and have found myself unable to choose which one to go with. Plain, simple and bloody annoying.

There are over a dozen (quite literally) ideas in my head. Some exist as basic stories and vague ideas in my mind, while others have been planned and plotted out in-depth. They range from Fantasy to Apocalyptic, Sci-Fi to plain old General Fiction. From first-person short stories, to third-person trilogies.

The question is, how in the hell do I decide which to write first?

Every time I’ve finally made up my mind and decided one to write, it’s lasts for a few days, and then my mind wonders to another idea and I find myself un-making my decision and going back to square one. Today alone, I’ve added new aspects to no less than four of these ideas and yet not written a word (to the actual stories, I’ve added things to my notes on each, but no real work done).

Do I try to juggle these stories and ideas, writing whatever takes my fancy at that moment? Do I choose one and (for now) forget about the others? Do I hit my head with a hammer until all but one of these pesky ideas (and my middle name) leave my brain?

Anyone have any advice or opinions on my problem? Or a spare hammer?

Thanks in advance.

7. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

I think, you have to just write when the inspiration comes about one of your ideas. You might be surprised how much this encourages you to continue writing about that same idea, as the more you get done, the more you get involved in your own work.

However, it does take discipline, and a lot of it. Never try to do any more than one piece of work at once, unless one is light and only used as a sort of pass-the-time project from the main piece you're working on.

It is difficult, I know myself! Persevere with whatever comes up next in terms of inspiration though!

8. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Write them all down into a notebook. Just a few ideas and a few lines for each one. If one really takes over and you end up with pages of notes, then that's the one to start with.

9. polarboy

polarboy New Member

My suggestion is that you keep writing regularly. And if you switch topics every few days, that's okay. Many prolific and professional fiction writers find themselves juggling multiple projects at a time, or starting work on one idea only to put it aside while they work on other/s.

Having too many ideas is not a problem.

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I like SteamWolf's idea, but I would approach it a bit differently. I'd make a few notes on each idea. Then I'd look them over and, for each story idea, try to think of a main character. I might even make some notes on each one. Whichever one seemed to be the most engaging character, that's the story idea I'd go with. And the beauty of writing all the ideas down is that they'd stil be there when you needed them.

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

This is exactly what I do as well. Write every idea down, and the one that catches you the most is your story.

12. MRD

MRD New Member

I already have all the notes I need. I have the characters. I have the stories, planned from beginning to end (and beyond). I have everything I need to start writing except the decision on which one to write first.

13. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Then, at the risk of sounding rude, perhaps you should park all of them for a while and see which one stirrs up your subconscience the most (or start another idea lol).

14. Vespers

Vespers New Member

Burn all your notes. Whichever idea you end up missing and wishing you hadn't burned, rewrite and use.

Or... maybe not.

15. Spring Gem

Spring Gem New Member

Cut slips of paper, write the name of an idea on each one, fold the papers, put them all in a container, draw one out, then write it. When you finish it, draw another one. Repeat until you run out of ideas. :)

16. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Dude, that's like creative writing suicide. Someone would be insane to do that...

Are you sure there isn't one story you favor the most?? Look at your characters, your plotlines, and such. Which one has the most fleshed out details?? I'd go for that story in an instant.

SpringGem's idea is good too. Just go for the the luck of the draw perhaps??

17. Vespers

Vespers New Member

What you call creative writing suicide I call the circle of life.

NAAAAAAAAAANNNTS INGONYAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

18. Taylee91

^???? lol

19. Vespers

Vespers New Member

Yes, I googled the lyrics to the song. The actual lyrics. You are all welcome for the knowledge you have just gained.

But seriously, read over your set of ideas you're having trouble choosing from, and go park your phanny in the shower. Showers tend to promote sensory deprivation, and that's usually why you feel more creative and can think better while you're there. Perhaps it'll clean up the mess you've found yourself in.

20. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Yeah at least I burn all my stuff after I've finished it. Burning it beforehand isn't what Art is about!

21. Vespers

Vespers New Member

Please, if some guy with the IQ of 80 can make a picture of a soup can and call it art, I can burn writing notes and call it art.

1 person likes this.
  22. Taylee91

^hahhahhhhaaa!

Yeah, I'd like to burn some of my old crap, but I just fear that I'll lose some of my scraps of creative genius...if there are any in fact stuffed away in my over-filled expandable folder....

1 person likes this.
  23. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

I'm wearing a monocle. Your argument is invalid.

:p

24. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I never get rid of my notes. Or if I do, I re-read them and salvage what I can.

25. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Yeh what other people said, write them all down, even if its just a small idea. At a later point you may flip back to it and find a use for it.