Dealing with ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Daniel, Jul 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. idle

idle Active Member

Yes, this topic is about ideas, so if something doesn't look like an idea to you, no need to mention it here at all. :)

I actually thought we were talking more about ideas that might seem, for example, too crazy or far-fetched to make a story out of them. That's the challenge. (Writing a good story about ordinary things is a challenge too, but I understand if it's one that's not interesting for you.)

2. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

Of course they can't be too crazy, or nobody would understand them. If you live in imaginary world where you can hit on the wall and purple rain will come, officer will stop then and say "thank you for marshmallows". What is it then?

I'm interested in writing all kinds of stories, so after mentioning this, I'm right now puzzled about whats the idea and whats not.

3. idle

idle Active Member

Like I said - that's the challenge. I'm not saying I could do it myself. :)

4. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I said that you need to muddle the significance of all your concepts, but if you don't have enough significance you're going to confuse your audience and they'll think of your work as a gimmick.

5. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Suggestion: put your ideas in separate categories. I have the same problem and now I'm setting up ideas for multiple books, but at least they are organized:

One- Fantasy + Werewolves (though they are called Shifters)
    Two- Sci-Fi (robots and humans)
    Three- Sci-Fi (humans and genetically-altered creatures)
    Four- Paranormal (ghosts)

I could go on and on with certain areas -particulary Sci-fi and Fantasy, but the idea is to get your ideas in separate sectors so that you won't get overwhelmed in one book. Break things up into smaller pieces.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't get what you seem to think is being 'aggressive' kat... or defensive, because i certainly was not being either...

nor do i see anything we could be competing over, since i don't advise new writers to hire an editor or a ghostwriter... in fact, if you'll read what i wrote again, you'll see i was advising against doing so...

you brought up the subject of what you charge, i didn't... and i was not bragging, just providing information on why it's money down the drain for new writers to hire an editor/writer...

as for your sarcasm and slamming my posts, i don't see how that helps the op or anyone else...

7. Teodor Pravický

Fine, but I never understood the significance in stories until like four years ago when I decided to give a writing some real shot. So I don't think it is too important. People will take always just something that they have in common or what's attracting their attention. We are like monkeys, its never about too much of thinking, but the stuff that is moving and its funny or sad.

Everything else is just writer wants to overcome other writer.

8. BallerGamer

How many monkeys do you want to attract?

9. Teodor Pravický

Well how many like me are out there? ;)

10. BallerGamer

That would depend, since I don't know you, but I'm just saying your rationale isn't going to cut it for you when you're pitching it to a publisher. I don't disagree, but these monkeys are smarter than you think.

11. alexa_

alexa_ Banned

I use the practice of separating the ideas. It's better not to use everything which has crossed your mind at a moment. You cans write something down and put aside until you finish with your current work (idea).

12. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

This may be completely off-topic, but I honestly don't think Tolkein was that good of a writer. There are a LOT of good things in his book--they just seem to be buried under a lot of unnecessary stuff.
    He needed a better editor.

13. Teodor Pravický

Yeah, I heard that smart people are usually unhappy. Thats not the way I want go with the idea in the book.
    And looking at these forums I'm starting to think that publishers must be freaking' weirdos

14. BallerGamer

I agree, I'm actually not a fan of the Lord of the Rings, the novels, but love Jackson's version of them. Although I'd say the point still stands. Before he single handedly recreated the definitions of what were in his world elves and dwarves were spiritual entities in the mythologies of other countries. In fact I believe dwarves were actually six feet tall in their original mythologies, not the midgets they're portrayed today.

Back then it may have totally seemed like Tolkien was incorporating way too many concepts that were borrowed from mythologies, but it all came to work together in the end. If the writer was good enough a world where robots, dinosaurs, and vampires may exist. And it may seem like I'm contradicting myself with my earlier comments of how I'm not a fan of Tolkien as a writer, but my gripes with him is nothing to do with his world building, where he's bar none the best, but with pacing, exposition, lacking of characters, drawn out dialogues, etc.

15. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne New Member

You know what, you're right: I was grumpy yesterday. Forgive my rudeness. How embarrassing for my poor mother who raised me better. I suppose I misread your meaning or tone or something, and it came out sounding snarkier than intended. My bad.

I did, however, forget to answer your question about advising new writers to hire an editor, so I will do that now.

The reason I think it is a good idea is this: if Mr.Turton believes his work is worthy of publication, and plans to query Agents and so on, if it is his dream to do so, I would hope he would first do everything in his power to make sure the work is as perfect as possible. Editors are insightful people, and tend to know what is "hot" on the market at any given time. If becoming a professional writer is what Mr.Turton wants for himself, I hope he would hire the assistance of someone experienced in the field to guide him. I don't believe it is money wasted, in fact, I believe the opposite. I believe his chances would be much less if he were to submit something riddled with errors and tired cliches.

That's all.

Forgive me again for yesterday. I really ought to keep my mouth shut when something irks me on a bad day.

16. Cerebral

Cerebral Active Member

I don't know if maia remembers me or our conversations, but believe me when I tell you that even when she's complimenting you, you get the feeling that she just insulted you...she's weird, but her intentions are good (at least I think they are!). So don't feel too bad lol.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but if someone can't catch significant errors in their own writing, doesn't that sort of preclude a career in writing? And if you don't have that kind of disposable income, it's just not possible to follow your advice. Considering that even most writers, including many successful writers, don't make that kind of money, I seriously doubt that the employment of such services would really yield significant results. But it certainly can't hurt.

17. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne New Member

Thanks Cerebral,
    But here is why I believe otherwise: professional writing, at some point, has to be seen as an investment. Hiring an editor can be compared to paying for an education - it is something you may choose to do to better your chances at success, but success is not guaranteed. We all know that. I am assuming this person has done the research, knows his chances, and has chosen to pursue it anyway.

Also, having done some work as a freelance editor myself, I have been big-headed enough to believe my own work to be fairly flawless. However, over the years I have also come to discover that I was WRONG about that! It is very, very difficult to see the errors in your own work. We all want reviews on the pieces we have written, why? Because an outside perspective can be invaluable. I'm not suggesting spending thousands of dollars, but if you are serious about your career, please, hire a professional before you set yourself up for heartbreak. But make the choice based on the fact that you may never see that money again.

I feel compelled to put a disclaimer at the end of my messages, because it often seems someone on these forums will come along with a rebuttal something like: "well, that is your opinion." Truth of it is, yes, I am only one person, and this is MY opinion. I only know what has worked for me and what I have failed at miserably and say what I say in the spirit of helpfulness. What I write in these forums are just my thoughts. Feel free to disregard them if you disagree.

18. Cerebral

Cerebral Active Member

And there's the caveat! Yeah, like I said, it definitely can't hurt and if one has money to burn, there's no reason for one not to do it.
    I wouldn't even bother with these disclaimers. As long as you're not saying anything offensive (and you haven't here), you don't need to explain to anyone why you hold a certain opinion. If someone snaps at you, either ignore them, or do what I would do and attack them vehemently until you get threatened by a mod. :-D

19. mammamaia

that's true, as it is of many of the most popular writers, such as king, rowling, meyers, hemingway et al. ... 'popular' does not = 'good'...

20. mammamaia

kat...
    apology accepted... and appreciated...

cerebral...
    don't know what gave you the feeling my compliments seemed akin to insults, but i can assure you that my intentions are always 'good'... i certainly wouldn't be spending all day every day helping aspiring writers just to be mean... :rolleyes:

love and hugs to you both...

21. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I think if one can't properly edit their own work, at least for grammatical/spelling errors, they aren't going to get very far. Hiring an editor for everything one wants to try to get published - there's no way anyone could afford to do that. Even going the trade publishing route, where there will be professional editors looking at your work, you still have to have a presentable ms to begin with.

The only time I could see hiring an editor is if one is self-publishing - and then you'd still want to have most of the crap dealt with first, so the more important issues (continuity, plot holes, etc) would be what you were spending your money on.

22. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

You can never have too many ideas.

It is only when one satisfies herself with an incomplete mush that she faces problems.

Vampire-dinosaur-robot-ninja-pirates would work out smoothly and perfectly if one were to tweak the ideas enough.

As writers, ideas are our entire avocation and purpose.

Facing a problem? Just throw in more of these buggers.

23. purplewabbit

purplewabbit New Member

Hi all

This is just a quick question for the sake of an article I'm writing. We're all writers on here and writers own notebooks that they jot ideas down in, right? Or perhaps you keep journals? I'm 24 years old and I own 26 notebooks - not all of them are full but they are for different things: some are journals, some are for story ideas, some for article ideas, song lyrics etc. I've only been 'seriously' notebooking for three years so I think this is quite a lot of notebooks to have accumulated in that time.

Or is it? Does anyone on here own more and how long has this 'habit' been ongoing? Am I a FREAK?!

Looking forward to your replies!

Nicola x

24. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

I had notebooks when I was travelling due to the lack of a PC; I went through a lot but that was over 6 months. Now I have a laptop for *ahem* 'work' which serves the same purpose, and a blackberry for typing out ideas on the go.

25. Drusy

Drusy New Member

My grandma, coming from the Great Depression, developed an almost compulsive need to buy paper. For whatever reason, I inherited this. I have an entire bookcase filled with notebooks and different blends of paper. The sad thing is that most of them are blank as my writing is done mostly on computer now. But I feel the need to have the ability to write things on paper if I need to.