1. Wes

Wes Member

Dean Koontz - Boring-stein

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Wes, Jun 14, 2011.

Has anyone else read the Frankenstein Series? I made it thru book 1 with no problems. The story flowed nicely, the plot was good. When I started book 2 it just went downhill. No real plot, only info-dumps about every other page. Koontz doesn't really let the reader figure anything out on their own. Everything is told up front. Now I'm thinking maybe book 3 will pick up, but no such luck. May just cut my losses and find something else.

I'm just wondering if anyone has read any of them. And maybe I'm just missing something.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Koontz is one of those guys who, while he sells well, bores the heck out of me (or has in the novels of his I've tried to read). I never picked up the Frankenstein series because I disliked his other books so much.

3. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I tried reading the first Frankenstein-book, but I couldn't finish it. It was too boring for my taste, and I prefer the original anyway. It doesn't need a "sequel".

As for Dean Koontz in general, he's a hit or miss kinda writer, in my opinion. If he gets a book "right" (Darkness Comes, Velocity etc) they are excellent. But other times he really miss and end up making the book really boring. (Tick Tock, for instance. It had a great start, but fell apart too quickly and just got boring.)

4. Wes

Wes Member

Koontz is one of my 3 fav writers, following King and Deaver. I like a lot of his stuff. His relentless was really good. Lightning was enjoyable. Icebound and Tick Tock I tried to read. Got about 4 chapters in, maybe 5, I quit. Had wanted to read the Odd series but now I'm not too sure.

5. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You should read Darkness Comes and Velocity. They are both pretty darn good. Darkness comes is the only Koontz-books I've read more than once, and I've read it three times. :)