Spelling Deliberately misspelling a misheard word

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by mashers, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Great example :supergrin: Thanks! I’ll give that a go and see if I can find some inspiration, either from good or bad examples.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm reminded of thre short @Iain Aschendale wrote where a little girl had heard that her father went to a rock .... turns out he went to iraq

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Being post-apoc will be harder, but find a list of words that are different in British and American English (gas/petrol, torch/flashlight, prime minister/lunatic :) ) and toss in a couple of them early on, people will catch on.

4. mashers

That's a really nice example. In that case, she misheard it and thought it was a different word, which could be spelt correctly. This is slightly different in that "awfun" isn't word (yet). I suppose in practical terms it doesn't really make any difference though.

That's a brilliant idea. Not wanting to be disrespectful, but would American readers recognise the British English vocabulary as such? As a British English reader, I would immediately pick up that gas, flashlight, president etc. would suggest an American speaker, but we have a lot of American TV over here so we hear that vocab a lot. I don't think America has as much British TV or other content, so would most Americans recognise the vocab as British English?

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Yes. I would immediately pick up on it.

6. mashers

Thanks. I hope it wasn't a rude question.

Trish likes this.
  7. Trish

Not at all.:D Even if Americans aren't necessarily familiar with British English, they are familiar with American, so when a flashlight is called a 'torch' or a motorcycle is called a 'motor bike', etc. it clicks pretty quickly I think.

8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

As somebody who loves both math/science and British telly, that sounds like a scientist character never using scientific terminology because an author assumes that a reader wouldn't recognize it.

Teach them British English versus American English ;)

Trish likes this.
  9. mashers

True, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. Thanks :)

Interesting point. However, my priority in fiction is to ensure what I write is understood by as many people as possible. If that means avoiding a dialect that a large number of people could misunderstand, then I'll do it. When I'm writing something academic (such as my Masters thesis) then I will absolutely use technical terms where appropriate, and work on the assumption that the reader either understands them, or has the ability to find the definition. As a reader, if I'm reading something factual then I would consider it acceptable to have to look up words to check the meaning. When reading fiction, however, it would become tiresome (and contrary to immersion) to repeatedly have to do this because I didn't understand the terms used in the characters' dialect.

Trish likes this.
  10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

The terms mentioned so far are fine. There are a few words that are quite different in US/UK--for example, people will giggle if a male character is wearing a jumper, because in the US that's a particular kind of dress, worn most often by children. And, say, "zebra crossing" might require context of trigger a conversation. But mostly there will be no issue.

11. Trish

That never occurred to me. I'm so used to hearing sweaters referred to as 'jumpers' on knitting sites, I don't even question it anymore.

What is a zebra crossing? (conversation triggered)

12. mashers

@ChickenFreak
    I had no idea jumper meant that in US English. I said we'd all be wearing wool jumpers when I described SethLoki's writing nook. I meant sweaters :p

@Trish
    It's a set of white stripes across a road for pedestrians to walk across. All road traffic is required to stop for any pedestrian who wants to cross there. It's like the one in that famous picture of the Beatles.

13. Trish

@mashers you did say jumpers, and I knew what you meant. Didn't even blink. ;)

So... a crosswalk. Interesting.

14. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

There are a few British terms that would require context for an American reader. Of the few mentioned, torch would be the biggest one, I think.

If you have two characters a wooded area and described one holding a torch, a fair few American readers would automatically go to the fire variety.

That said, context is a powerful tool, and at some point, you just have to trust the intelligence of the reader, which can be difficult considering the current state of the world...

Trish likes this.
  15. mashers

@Spencer1990
    That's useful to know about torch, because these characters are actually going to use one. And by torch I mean flashlight. And by flashlight I mean battery operated handheld lighting equipment :p

Spencer1990 likes this.
  16. Trish

@mashers
    You could fix that by having the character hope that the batteries will last.

Simpson17866 and Spencer1990 like this.
  17. Spencer1990

Exactly. A quick line can clear the situation right up. You can talk about the color of the light, battery life, the beam from the torch itself, etc. It doesn't need to be much.

izzybot, Simpson17866 and Trish like this.
  18. mashers

@Trish @Spencer1990
    That was my plan :D I'm now thinking of going back over what I've already written and checking for other Britishisms I can shoehorn in ;)

Trish likes this.
  19. ChickenFreak

Even "switched on the torch" will probably do it. I suspect(?) that most Americans have the non-flame meaning in their "I heard this on BBCAmerica" vocabulary, even if they'd go to flames first.

20. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Don't cross walks have stop go lights (or walk dont walk lights) for pedestrians ? Thats what we call either a Pelican or Toucan crossing .... a zebra crossing is litterally a set of stripes (some times with a flashing orange globe called a belisha beacon) where pedestrians have priority

you also get tiger crossings which are relatively new, which are like a zebra but cyclists don't have to dismount for them and are used for cycleways crossing roads

Trish and Fernando.C like this.
  21. Spencer1990

I don't know how true this is. I hadn't heard the term until fairly recently. I listen to a lot of BBC programing on the radio and if I had heard it, it never really registered. Of course, this is just anecdotal evidence.

22. Trish

Some of them do. I don't know, where I am we call them all 'crosswalks' - no animals involved or lights needed. I'd need a key code just to walk down the street there from the sounds of it. :p

23. big soft moose

also jay walking isnt really an offense here (except on mortorway and dual carriageways - that is interstates essentially), in most towns people can , and frequently do, cross whether they like with very little regard to the traffic

Fernando.C likes this.
  24. Trish

We do here too. I think it's only in the major cities they really crack down on it. I don't know that for certain, as I haven't been everywhere, but most people ignore it all the places I've been.

ETA: Except on highways (interstates) - because here we call that suicide.

25. ChickenFreak

In my part of the US, a crosswalk is anywhere that the street is marked for pedestrians. I don't know for sure if that's the legal definition, but it's common usage.