describe when a rocket hits a car

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by Antaus, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Contributor Contributor

Or
    I suggest fire, rather than flames, because flames suggest a unidirectional orderliness, while fire can be ball-shaped, and 'coming down' flattens the moment; better to end on the high note.
    An event like this should be brutal, direct and brief, but you'd better put back at least one dramatic sound - pow, smash, boom, crunch - screech if you must, but in that case, you have to have the car land and slide along the road, dragging a wake of flames.
    Afterward, you'll need a quiet, reflective interlude before the next bout of action.

(Hey, this is fun! Why don't I ever write about violence?)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    alpacinoutd likes this.
  2. alpacinoutd

alpacinoutd Senior Member

I'm deeply grateful to both Xoic and Oxymaroon. Everything that I learn here makes happy. :bigsmile:

Xoic likes this.
  3. Oxymaroon

I edit for-bloody-ever

alpacinoutd likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You should, you do it well. I particularly like the image of dragging a wake of flames. The word wake even implies a funeral. Foreshadowing, perhaps? Or maybe false foreshadowing...

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Leaving aside the whole, RPGs don't explode cars in balls of flame outside holywood thing,

"The RPG slammed into the car and detonated with a roar and a cloud of grey smoke. a shower of metal fragged everyone inside, blood spray painting the windows red. With a dead hand on the wheel the car veered, hit the curb and flipped"

alpacinoutd likes this.
  6. Oxymaroon

I was picturing the tail of a comet, actually. I'm more comfortable in space.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  7. alpacinoutd

I like your way too.:)

8. alpacinoutd

Speaking of violence, could I say something like this? :

A shower of human flesh and blood came falling down and drenched the ground red and orange.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i'd say rained down, and you don't need to specify that its human... what other kind of blood would it be ?

"Flesh and blood rained down, drenching the ground red"

(although again you are rather over estimating the power of an RPG)

alpacinoutd likes this.
  10. Oxymaroon

Yes; less wordage, more punch.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  11. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

From a distance during military shows, it's just a delayed popping sound. Full auto may be used as supressive fire and then controlled bursts when aiming. If it's an amateur raging on personal matters, it's okay to go all out and spray missing bullets just to extend the drama with bulletholes, spraying glass and falling tiles. Maybe an obese neighbor got shot dead by stray bullets. (To show what might actually happen) Using a machinegun allow shooting for a long time without being unrealistic. Too many movies have handguns with unexplained endless magazines. (Not "clips", that's just the loading mechanism)

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  12. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

‘RTC roll-over’ is our ambulance term for a road traffic collision where the vehicle has rolled at least one complete time.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  13. alpacinoutd

For the sake of practicing, can I use shower?

1. A shower of flesh and blood rained down, drenching the ground red.

2. The ground was showered with flesh and blood.

14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Either one would work. It seems a bit extreme though to create an image of flesh raining down, really morbid, like something from a Saw movie. In fact, I just realized what bothers me about it—it implies all that's left of the bodies is flesh and blood, as if they've been pulped in a blender. It would be a little less extreme (and disgusting) to say body parts and blood rained down.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  15. Oxymaroon

Plus, there would be broken bone-ends shooting off and skewering bystanders...
    ...But, really, how sophomoric do you want to get?

alpacinoutd likes this.
  16. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

I'm afraid it is very hard to grasp the sound from videos / recordings. I have shot quite a few kinds of weapons in firing ranges, from as small as .22 revolvers to as large in calibre as the renowned AK47. I also had the opportunity to fire a burst of blanks with an MG3, which I will be describing to you (as it's a machine gun and I reckon is closest to M240G).

The first thing to note is that you'd likely have ear/hearing protection if the characters are on the battlefield. If not, bad luck. Guns are very loud, especially machine guns. Loud to the point that they easily cause ear damage, and can cause ear damage even with protection over time. I haven't shot anything over a 9mm without ear protection, so can't really describe it - even a pistol is so deafening that it can ring your ears and cause a headache.

Second, you don't only /hear/ the gunshot, but also /feel/ it. It resonates in your bones, and that is likely what a character will feel if they have ear protection. Turn your headphones to the usual volume on which you listen to music and open this video. Preliminary warning, it's gunshot effects recorded. It is the closest I could find on youtube to actual gunshot / feeling.

Note, the echo you hear is also very typical for gunshots; the sound is so loud that it likely echoes back from / between buildings and landscape formations.

Video game / movie sound effects are very far off. They are a sort-of invention with the goal of giving guns "unique sounds" and obviously to not deafen FPS players.

17. Rich D

Rich D New Member

Looks like the army's using the same damn tripod they had when I was in fifty years ago.

The guy on the left is the loader, handling the belt feed for the gun. The noise is loudest for him. It is a loud, quick, rythmic "pop-pop-pop" coming in irregular bursts of three to five rounds each. In targeted fire longer bursts may be needed to keep the target in the cone of fire until hit. Laying down suppressive fire the gunner must be mindful of overheating the barrel. (this weapon fires from a "bolt back" position to avoid "cooking off" a chambered round in a hot barrel)

"Two or three people, I don't remember which, emerged from the tree line onto the road about half a kilometer away. I sighted them, held the trigger down for a five round burst and watched where the tracer went. When the men saw the puffs of dust kicked up by the rounds they jumped like jackrabbits back into the trees before I could adjust and fire again. It was their lucky day."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  18. faustian90

faustian90 Member

The rocket propelled toward its doomed target, cleaving the night air with its rippling flash.

19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Rockets always blast with dizzying speed. That's what makes them rockets. If you want a single verb that implies speed and noise I'd go with "whistle," as in "The rocket whistled across the sky."

Like @OurJud said, we all know what rockets are and don't need them explained to us. Keep it simple.

20. big soft moose

I've merged four different threads asking essentially the same question ... we only need one thread per question please.

alpacinoutd likes this.
  21. big soft moose

hat off

leaving aside RPG's arent actually rockets etc

"the grenade streaked from the launcher and smashed into the car in a shower of sparks"

alpacinoutd likes this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Damn, that's one important rocket.

alpacinoutd likes this.