1. Christen Slawin

Christen Slawin New Member

Description problem.

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by Christen Slawin, Sep 13, 2012.

When I write it seems I either have too much or too little description. Is there a way to tell if you have too much or too little description for the scene? What do you suggest I do to prevent this in the future? Thank you in advance.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Practice.

Depth of description correlates with the pace of the story at that point. The more you draw out the description, the more you retard the pace. In fact, modulating the level of description is a good way to adjust the pace faster or slower.

You will develop an instinct for how much is too much, not enough, or just right.

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Yeah. You'll eventually know if you have too much description or not. That happens to us at some point. We often iron out the unnecessary description in the next draft, especially if that piece of description isn't integral to the plot.