Designing a fantasy race to have attractive men?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Simon Price, May 10, 2018.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I’m not seeing why. It’s not as if racists are suddenly going to be totally cool with people with new random skin colors. I think this costs you much more than it wins you—it adds a cartoonish element that I don’t think you want?

2. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

then... I guess you're just plain stuck, buddy.

You said you're dead-set on those three traits, but the three traits you've picked are unattractive. I don't know what to tell you.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

^This was just the last post b4 I lost my temper. I speak to all.
    guess I'm too new, and too old, to stand for this bullshit. No matter if you're 5, or 55. Never, ever, back someone into a corner and talk em out of their idea. Bring it right down on me if you need to, but at least give a fuck about someone's muse, or get out of it

Simon, Simon. Dude, keep the arms the way you want and take on the task of describing why potential mates are attracted to them. Shiva(?) is one of the most sensuous concept humanoids I've ever seen. Captivating. Forget selling the bio-mech, and bring it out in the light as something that is already long accepted and attractive. Tell your story. I came to a point where I had to work backward to resolve a problem in my story, by beginning with success and moving backward through to introduction of the character. Someone saw a vision of Shiva, and carved it in alabaster or wood or any and all media for millenia, and it still works.
    I've watched the same cast of characters go back and forth over this. Now it's all twisted and second guessed.
    Write a scene, PM it to me, and we'll kick some fictional ass, so you can get on with the story.

I guess I'm only pissed because I respect all and got... IDFK

Still look up to you guys, but I'm out of this thread.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Look into what has been culturally considered attractive in ancient
    and primitive societies.
    There is a tribe that finds their women to be attractive when they have their teeth sharpened
    to be like a piranha. And what about those people in Africa that have clay plates in their lips,
    or the ones that use metal rings to have long necks. There is three examples that are real forms
    of what is considered beautiful in those cultures.
    So make up something that is defining to your fantasy race.

In my story I have an alien race that some use old cultural practice of their old clans, which
    involves displaying heavy metal rings pierced into ones body to denote status and achievement.
    While most in their society do not practice the tradition, there are still plenty that have rings about
    their face and body. These rings can mean anything from battle prowess to religious hierarchy.
    Though one must earn these rings, if they want to go the more traditional route.

So there you have it all you need to do is come up with something that is culturally specific to them,
    and make it unique to them. There are so many things you can do to have a culture of attractive men,
    you just need to find a way to define why the women in their culture find them to be attractive. Just
    don't come up with some lame ass thing such as they are all adonis' or something like that, find some
    thing that will be more on the cultural level, since culture plays a heavy influence into what we find
    to be attractive, and what isn't.

Good luck. :superidea:

5. Some Guy

Apologies to all for my... 'outburst'. It was an episode (clinical). Not an excuse, just a curse of mine.
    I value your opinons, and especially appreciate the time you contribute. I'm giving this serious thought.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  6. Some Guy

So, Simon, I'm most intrigued to see where your story goes!

CoyoteKing likes this.
  7. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

You might like to take a leaf from the book of tricks that animators use to make successful likeable alien or cartoon characters that includes making the creature:
    1. have bilateral symmetry. What appears on the left appears on the right;
    2. have features we associate with humans. Depending on your audience, you might like to refer to the Westernised virile men card, including stereotypical things like: prominent and enlarged muscles, square jaw, a hint of an enlarged sexual organ in the traditional place and (sometimes) bronzed physiques. Think Superman.
    3. be similar enough to resemble a human male, but not sufficiently close to fall into the "uncanny valley". See this video for an explanation of the uncanny valley.
    I hope this helps!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Some Guy likes this.
  8. Some Guy

Okay. Cooled off. CK helped me stuff 'evil twin' back down. Med levels back to nominal.

This may sound wierd, but it hit me that these wondrous multi-limbed bi-peds are best described... by not describing them. Describe only people's response to interacting with them in the intimate immediate moment: "he spread his glorious arms wide, and smiled warmly as golden hands slid around my waist. I inhaled the (?) aroma of his shimmering skin, and felt his other hands caress my face, and pull me to his kiss..." The reader is going to figure out pretty quickly that 'X' has more arms, and you never have to represent them soley. If you're describing a full view of 'X', let it be his shadow on the wall - no points of attachment. "'X' held two knives behind his back as his other arms crossed over his muscular chest. He gave me a wink, then turned to the pirate Captain..."
    Play with the reader and keep it a mystery. I already have a vision of this guy, I wish I could draw. Iridescent fingernails, irises with subtle pearlesence, a cape he can grasp with four limbs to float between platforms like a flying squirrel. Maybe the only clothing they wear covers the shoulders...

Mark Burton likes this.