1. JadeX

JadeX Senior Member

Designing a fictional contact sport - ideas & inspiration?

Discussion in 'Research' started by JadeX, Dec 30, 2020.

In my story, my MC is a young cadet at a military academy, in a society developed roughly to Renaissance-like levels or a little more (though with some more modern innovations and concepts here and there). He has just been accepted into an officer training program which will push he and his fellow cadets to their limits.

I figure, the best way to transition these characters - and the readers, as well - from civilian teenagers to officer candidates in training, would be to have them face off in a sport that they are familiar with; after all, sports and military training have had intertwined histories for centuries IRL (training drills have become sports, and vice-versa), so it seems logical, and offers an element of familiarity for the characters. It would basically serve as this world's analogue to rugby and American football in modern times, though it doesn't necessarily have to be similar to those.

This is an entirely fictional world, though, so I can't use - and don't want to blatantly rip off - any existing sports. I want to make my own.

All I know is that it has to be a contact sport, emphasize team coordination, with relatively simple rules and little equipment (after all, it's supposed to be something they know, so, presumably something they grew up playing in empty lots, probably).

What are some things I could draw inspiration from, or some things I should keep in mind?

MartinM likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Terminology. Sports are all about terminology, insider language, and slang: homerun, touchdown, pick and roll, dying quail, flea-flicked, red dog blitz, penalty kill, etc.

And legends. Sports are nothing without legends, so you'd probably want to say something like, "Bobby burst up the gut like Jim Brown" or "defended the screen like Michael Jordan." Obviously you have to change the names and terms, but that should lend your sport instant credibility and show how familiar and collective the game is to your characters.

marshipan and JadeX like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

have you seen the film rollerball.?.. i'm not suggesting that exactly(since its future dystopian) but it gives a feel for how these things are done... also the Quiditch matches in harry potter

Storysmith and MartinM like this.
  4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Ender's Game is similar; you could draw inspiration from it at least.

Storysmith and MartinM like this.
  5. JadeX

JadeX Senior Member

Funny enough, not long after I posted this thread, I got an idea. Since this thread is still young and related to the topic, I may as well describe my new sport here for feedback:

It is played on a rectangular field. There is one ball used in this sport. At each end of the field is a bowl, pedestal, cup, or similar such item which the ball can either be placed in or perched atop of - we'll call this a cup. 20 players are split into two teams of 10; an attacking team and a defending team. A coin flip decides which team are the attackers and which the defenders; the defenders are given the ball, to be placed in the cup at their end of the field. A countdown starts the game, and the defending team forms defenses around their cup, which the attackers must break through to get the ball. The attackers must then move the ball to their end of the field and place it in their cup; if they succeed in doing so, then they control the ball and become the defenders. Teammates can pass or throw the ball to each other, and opponents can forcefully take the ball from their hands or intercept their passes; fighting over the ball can occur as long as the ball does not hit the ground. If the ball touches the ground, play stops and is reset. A match consists of up to 3 separate rounds, lasting 20 minutes each; each round is won by whichever team controls the ball when the time limit expires; the team that wins 2 out of 3 rounds, wins the match. Cupball is a full contact sport with no penalties for rough play, which makes its matches as brutal as the players want it to be.

It's like capture the flag, but with violence.

That's not too hard to follow, right?

MartinM likes this.
  6. MartinM

MartinM Banned

@JadeX

Take this with a pinch of salt, I know nothing...

The contact game you describe in the second post doesn’t match your setting in the opening post. So, research West Point or Sandhurst and their objectives for a graduate. Everything that is tested taught or played while spent at the academy goes in some way to improve them as an officer. A leader of men.

The game you describe is generic and could be played along with rugby or American Football anywhere. The ideal game needs to test all the qualities that school sees in a top student.

Just an idea... For starters use 3 teams and not 2. The games opening should encourage co-operation to out number and neutralize a smaller team. An outnumbered team my resort to Napoleon’s strategy. At a contact point with the enemy use over whelming force. Don’t waste men defending like for like to a larger force. And other basic battle strategies that can be applied in a game...

Hills, woods, streams causing bottlenecks etc. Flat playing areas teach nothing about knowing the ground on which one fights on... The game must reflect this... I would also suggest instead of capture the flag; you must hold that area for a length of time... there are three flags right.

Again, take it for what its worth, love the idea.

MartinM.

7. baboonfish

baboonfish Member

I'm not sure the game you describe is very enthralling, but as reply 1 said, terminology could make it live. My suggestion would be a rip off of Kabaddi, I mean how many people would notice it wasn't made up and it totally fits all your brief!