1. lovelyinblack

lovelyinblack New Member

Developing a relationship between a human woman and a monster and their physical relationship

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lovelyinblack, Jan 4, 2018.

Hello everyone!

As the subject states I wanted to know your opinions on these type of relationships and how far you feel characters like these should take their relationships. My main goal is to not cross into an uncomfortable realm.

A bit of background on my characters and the story if it helps.

I’m currently working on a graphic novel retelling of La Belle et la Bete that takes place in the 1940s. My audience is primarily young adult so the story will not be child friendly. As it contains some pretty violent imagery since the story takes place during World War II. So I am not bound by my audience’s age group in terms of how far I can take the relationship between the two main characters.

Julie knows that Albert, the Beast, was a human immediately off the bat as she is hired by Albert to cure his condition. My retelling has a pseudo science explanation as to how he became a beast in the first place. So there is no curse where love breaks a spell. Romance is not even something they initially ever thought of pursuing, but over time they grow very fond of each other.

Julie is 27 and Albert is 36, so they are adults. Functioning adults (kind of) that form a romantic relationship over time. Naturally they would want to engage in something more physical. Yet at the same time it causes confusion for both of them. Especially Julie since she does not really know how to process falling for and feeling attracted towards someone who technically is more of an animal than human.

While I know that the two of them are not going to engage in full on sexual activity I do still want their relationship to still function on a romantic and physical level that is interesting.

What are your thoughts?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

There's a pretty thriving market for cross-species romance, especially on the more erotic romance side. It's not my thing so I don't have any advice on how to handle it, but I can give some reassurance that there are a lot of people who wouldn't be grossed out by it!

QueenOfPlants and lovelyinblack like this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

You say he's more of an animal than a human, but I presume he has a human mind. Surely that's what's important when it comes to falling for someone. I suppose you could play up the fact that she's not attracted to him physically so the fact that she still wants to be with him regardless of his animal-ness makes the love stronger or more pure? Or if she is physically attracted to him, make it an aesthetic thing rather than a sexual one. Demonstrate that she would want to be with him if there was no prospect for a cure? Obviously she gets to be conflicted about it, but I'd focus on the fact that he really is a human being, despite his body/appearance. (I'm assuming here, anyway, that the affliction doesn't alter his mind. Different story if that's not the case, I guess.)

I haven't seen Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water yet but your thread title made me think of it straight away. Maybe see if you can check it out.

Side note, you mention it's a graphic novel - is your avatar your own art? You have a lovely style, if so!

4. lovelyinblack

lovelyinblack New Member

Yes, Albert does have a human mind, but he has had his condition for so long that it is slowly disappearing. He will lapse into a more animal/predatory like state of mind, usually triggered by fear or any negative state of mind that causes him to lose focus. He does his best to stay busy via keeping his manor clean, gardening and other hobbies. Interacting with Julie helps him majorly.

Julie does fall for his human personality, as he does treat her very kindly, and that is the main drive, on her end, to start the relationship. Yes, she does come to terms that she would stay with him until the end, meaning until he loses his human mind and turns into a wild animal, if she can't cure his condition.

The Shape of Water is definitely on my list to see. Been trying to meet up with friends for weeks to see it. :)

Yes my avatar contains my own artwork. I'm flattered! Thank you very much! :)

I have some more that I can post for reference. Are we allowed to post images on here since it is not an art thread? Sorry if that os a dumb question, I'm new here.