1. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Dialogue - Dialog

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Spencer1990, Feb 16, 2018.

I've seen tons of people within the past few years refer to a conversation between two characters as "dialog." And I'm wondering if we're witnessing a shift in usage. From what I've read online, dialog is used in dealing with computer jargon (dialog box), but all of the articles I've read say that a conversation prefers the spelling dialogue.

What am I missing here? Why are tons of people using dialog to refer to a conversation?

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I read somewhere that 'dialogue' was BrE and 'dialog' AmE, but can't remember the source. Is that completely wrong then?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I use "dialogue," and I'm in the U.S. I thought "dialog" was a computing usage that has crossed over improperly into common usage to replace "dialogue."

4. Spencer1990

From what I've read, dialog is very American, but only correct when used as computer terminology.

This is what I thought, too, but some of the creative writing staff (whom I very much respect as writers) at my university use "dialog" to describe conversation in fiction. Are all of these people ignorant to their incorrect usage? I can't bring myself to use "dialog."

Steerpike likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It seems incorrect to me, but maybe it's one of those situations where the incorrect usage becomes correct over time. Like using "bemused" to mean "amused."

6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I must admit if I saw 'dialog' used to mean conversation I would just assume it was written by an American.

Now that you point it out, though, I'm wondering myself.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm American, and I perceive 'dialog' as an error unless it refers to a window on a computer.

8. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

No. Not "very American". This American has never seen "dialog" used other than in a computer context. The correct spelling is "dialogue".

I'm wondering if a misspelling in Spell Check or autocorrect is responsible for this travesty...sort of like the massive sudden misuse of its/it's a few years back.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  9. ChickenFreak

I'm also reminded of the common misuse of "palette" to mean "palate", which came after "palette" became a frequent word used in reference to drawing/painting applications.

Spencer1990 and Shenanigator like this.
  10. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

I like dialog. Maybe I'm just aggressively American and prefer anything that differs from our former overlords. Or maybe, I like the progression of language. It should change. I mean, what was that 'u' even doing there in the first place? Like gtfo 'u'. With a 'u', it should be: dia-lo-GOO. Why do people think they're extraordinary beings for anachronistically preferring irrelevant and redundant letters?

izzybot likes this.
  11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The irony being that Dialogue is from a french word and they were your allies in the War of I :D

Catrin Lewis and Shenanigator like this.
  12. Spencer1990

I meant very American in that the only evidence I can find online and from anecdotal experiences says it's Americans that are using "dialog." I'm not saying that all Americans use it or that you're not American if you don't use it. I can't bring myself to use the alternative spelling, but there is evidence to suggest it is an American thing.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

I like dictionaries :read2:

14. O.M. Hillside

Enjoy your dictionary. I'll just use language according to reason.

15. O.M. Hillside

And they helped us beat the British in the Revolutionary War. Like, we probably would be British today if not for the French. But anyway, who prefers the word or who the word comes from is not the point. I'm saying that language changes over time. If you're against the progression of language, then why not use cuneiform? Or why use written language at all? Count with the knuckles of your fingers.

16. ChickenFreak

I'm not sure if you get to hold that philosophy and also speak English. :) It's never been noted for its finely crafted logic and consistency.

BayView likes this.