Tags:
  1. UnderTheMoon

UnderTheMoon Member

Dialogue...

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by UnderTheMoon, Jun 16, 2017.

New to the forum and I'm hoping I've got the right section here...

Essentially I have a question to do with dialogue which I haven't been able to find an answer to online...

So - in a situation with continuing dialogue:
    “Look like you've seen a ghost.” said Jay, “Shower’s still running if you want one.”

How would I continue the character actions afterwards? As far as I'm aware, it's not the start of a new sentence.

For example:
    “Look like you've seen a ghost.” said Jay, “Shower’s still running if you want one.” Nathan opened the door.

Both sentences were spoken by Jay, I just want to see if there was a graceful way to move on to Nathan's next actions or if the way I've done so was the best possible way.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

What you want to do is this:
    A comma at the end of the first bit of dialogue rather than a period, a period after the end of the tag (the 'said Jay' part), then a new line for the new person's action, same as you would with a new person's dialogue. You could keep Nathan's action alongside Jay's dialogue if Jay was going to keep talking - as long as it was clear via context or tag that it was Jay's dialogue - but otherwise you want to keep them apart.