Differences in Christian religious displays

Discussion in 'Research' started by Iain Aschendale, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It is - sort of. We separate church and state so technically its a secular country. But the Queen is head of the Church of England (Matt and I differ on whether Cof E is Protestant or not and its not worth opening that can of worms again) - the separation comes in the fact that the Queens rule is largely notional, to all intents we are ruled by parliament. (The queen could dissolve parliament, and is the head of the armed forces in theory . However its not been done since this system was established after the Civil war so no one knows what would really happen)

We also have a lot of Roman Catholics, a lot of nonconformist Protestants (Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians etc), and a fair few Hindus and Muslims. There are also lots of smaller groups such as Buddhists , Wicca, Jews, Sikhs etc plus of course there are also agnostics and aetheists

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Well, Olympic bob sleigh ain't all that gripping, and speed skating is minutes away.
    I've had a breakthrough in our novel. Scene 1, Lady Teacup wears a micro-skirt, boob-tube, hang on let me wipe the saliva, heels. And then scene 2 some kind of sack-clothing number - write something poetic about the hem dragging through the farmyard, 10 inch crucifix, stygmatyr [sp] in the hands should clutch the deal, so to speak.

'But I thought you were Anabaptist Mormon Science of Christ Methodist?'

'Well Jeremy, I am a changed lady. Ever since Rasputin delivered his leaflet...I..I [swoon]'

4. matwoolf

[​IMG]'Hello, young man, I've come to see Lady Teacup...'
    upload_2018-2-10_10-57-3.jpeg 'Sorry guvnor, she ain't available right now.'

5. matwoolf

Meanwhile in Tokyo
    [​IMG]'Yeah, nice work @Mat, I'll get on the computer asap. Do you like my hat?'

6. matwoolf

Oh, fug's sake, computer messaging again. What does that prick want? It is ANGLICAN CATHOLIC PROTESTANT, I told you so many times, you weasel
    [​IMG]

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

we've told you before about posting selfies mat, this isnt udate

8. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

You should tell her not to get her hopes up, I heard Rasputin was lover to the Russian Queen.

But anyway, back on topic. I would say the changes wouldn't have to be that obvious or real life specific as long as they're commented on by the narrator/POV character, then that should give reader come cause to examine them more closely. Personally, though, I think it would be nice if she got a tattoo. They're mostly looked down on in Christian denominations-- including both Catholics and Protestants (but no one else)-- and would show her kind of freeing up and doing something shes wanted to do for a while but couldn't under her marital religious obligation.

matwoolf and Earp like this.
  9. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I knew several people growing up that would say they were Christian. They were not (according to their church) Catholic, Protestant, etc. They were simply Christian and I know that there's been a revival of sorts of people saying that they're Christian, but not of any Christian religion because they follow the teachings of Christ and not of a subset of religious Christianity...which just makes the whole thing that much more confusing and a pain in the rear. I learned quickly to just nod my head and not engage in any sort of debate regarding Christianity.

On terms regarding church/chapel/etc., in the U.S. it varies and each branch of Christianity has their take on the word. What a pamphlet or paper calls its room of service can be a decent indicator as to what sect of Christianity a person follows. The same with what they call the service leader (i.e. priest, pastor, minister, etc.). [Which brings this post, at least somewhat, back to the original contents of this thread.]

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

The American way of doing things is just confusing.

It's bad enough keeping track of them over here with the Kirk, the Wee Free, the Episcopalians (aka Diet Coke Catholics) and the odd Roman Catholic whose ancestors found somewhere good to hide in 1746.

Having about a million little churches that are little more than one guy with a pointy shed and whose message is completely subject to his own reading comprehension must be a nightmare for folks of that persuasion.

matwoolf and Iain Aschendale like this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    LOL, quite true.

12. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

Check out the window of your nearest Catholic book and gift shop if your town has them? A rosary is always rather nice if unsubtle, maybe a couple of Lives of the Saints? (or if it's not too silly for your book, a souvenir or two from a recent visit by the Pope! - or of somewhere like Lourdes)

I remember seeing a TV doco years ago about these dear little (I think) Eastender ladies who went on a bus tour to such a place, and for some reason the scene that stuck in my head was them souvenir shopping, the one buying half a dozen matching but differently coloured porcelain Mary (rather kitschy, like Franklin Mint, but I like kitsch) figures which she thought would look so sweet on her windowsill...

matwoolf likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    An excellent idea in principle, and you've got some good details in your suggestion that I may use, but Catholic bookstores are few and far between where I live.

[​IMG]

We do have a store just down the street that sells butsudan, Buddhist home altars :)

But seriously, I was originally planning to make the late husband Catholic and have the widow revert to her previous Protestant denomination, however @raine_d's suggestion (along with a couple others upthread) made me think (please, no one take offense) that Catholics are more likely to display things that specifically identify them as such than the Protestant denominations I'm familiar with. A wedding picture in a plain little chapel with an empty cross, but a house with a crucifix and maybe a Mary statue on the mantle would be a good clue for a reasonably sharp-eyed but non-Holmesian character to spot.

14. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

That makes sense, yes. I wish I could remember more about that TV show with the little old ladies, I'm sure their souvenir hunting would have been helpful...

15. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

That's true for everything though I will never understand the fascination that some English folks have for beans on toast.
    __

Rosaries are a really good idea. My mom has a few in her possession. She also has a crucifix, several stone angels (surprisingly cute), and a portrait (might be a stone one) of The Last Supper on display. I completely forgot about The Last Supper, but it's usually a very good sign that someone's Catholic (it's a pretty big deal from what I remember). Your ideas will probably be good enough to give away a change of faith. If you do decide to include a statue of Mary, try to include one of her holding baby Jesus because that's a fairly sentimental picture in Catholicism to the point that most churches and cathedrals have it.

16. big soft moose

May be the late husband followed Zen Buddhism and the widow is reverting to Shinto :D

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Nah, they're not exclusive here. My Japanese friends say that, if he chose, Jesus would be more than welcome to become the eighth god on the boat:

[​IMG]

The Japanese are the world's great syncretists. There's a manga, Saint Young Men, which Wikipedia describes as:

18. big soft moose

trouble is he'd have to be captain and would wind up making the others follow him - monotheism doesn't play nicely with others