1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Discuss the Interview with Tess Gerritsen

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel, Nov 5, 2006.

Feel free to share your thoughts on what Tess Gerritsen said in this interview.

2. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Are you Daniel?

3. Daniel

Yes I am. :D

4. Raven

Raven Banned

Hmmm she has some good pointers and gives some good advice.

I percifically liked that last question.

My last comment: The longer I've been in the storytelling business, the more convinced I am that storytellers are born, not made. Some people just know instinctively in which direction to take a plot, and they'll almost always veer down the path that offers the most conflict, the most drama. That's hard to teach to writing students. I don't know how to teach a sense of drama -- it's something you have to know all by yourself.

I agree with this and thought she ended the interview on a very constructive note.

~Raven.

5. Daniel

I personally enjoyed her response to this question:

Lastly, if there were only one idea or concept you could teach a struggling, unpublished author, what would it be?

Tess: What's the one concept I'd teach a new writer? Follow your emotions. Pay attention to what makes you angry, scared, and horrified. Emotions are at the heart of your story. When I'm fishing around for a new idea for a book, I always choose the idea that gives me an emotional punch. For instance, VANISH was based on a news story about a young woman who was declared dead and later woke up in the morgue. That horrified me -- which is exactly why I chose it as the basis for my VANISH plot.

6. Pook

Pook New Member

I enjoyed the read also,

its good to have questions answered that I have mulling around in my head as a newcomer to the site and writing in general. The replies are inspirational and thought provoking and Im glad I stumbled upon it. The news report about the lady in the morgue is indeed disturbing and it is proof that stories are all around us, all of the time.

7. nkghmod

nkghmod New Member

I will write about this a little later - I'll be at my home to send you many cool information

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I'm having a total fan-girl moment here, I love Tess Gerritsen crime novels! Wonderful interview Daniel, I really enjoyed it.
    This describes me rather well :D

Daniel likes this.