Discussion-Heart of Star

Discussion in 'Archive' started by losthawken, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

I like this attitude :D

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Glad to see you guys are still game :)

3. losthawken

As promised, more details on the universe -

Mogles:

Mogles are a terrestrial, simple hive, based life form that lives in symbiosis with a space hardy fungus on which they feed.

Most mogles have very limited accelerator shard mobility. A senescent queen may drift through space for centuries before colliding with a suitable asteroid or planet on which it can spawn a new hive. A powerful de-energizing shard field protects the queen from violent collisions and burning atmospheric entry. It is said that mogle could survive a class 1 nuclear explosion without a scratch.

Once on a suitable solid environment the queen will begin producing drones. The drones are much smaller and carry no shards. They are however, armed with specialized secretory glands that produce volatile compounds used to carve deep tunnels in search of new shards for their queen.

In addition to seeking out new shards, drones cultivate the symbiotic fungus that grows both within the mogles and on any solid surface. The fungus is itself corrosive and scavenges organic compounds and derivatives from whatever it grows on. Drones both consume this fungus and feed it to the queen while she metamorphosizes in preperation for her return to space.

Once enough energy and organic material has been acquired for re-entry into space the queen will metamorphasize into a spiral shaped spire. Using chemistry very similar to the explosive drilling tools of the drones the queen will create an external launching gland that will eventually be used to propel the queen back into space in search of her next destination.

If a shard seeker can get past her diligent minions, powerful defensive sheilds and heavy carapace a large queen mogle can be expected to house up to eight shards most of which will be de-energizing in nature.

4. losthawken

Fyer:

Fyer’s are thought to have evolved from the ring planet Alestair and may have acquired space flight before incorporating shards into their biology. Growing up to 12 meters in length and weighing no more than 10 kg these animals are capable of escaping a planet’s gravity on tach fields alone. The tach fields are generated by each of the Fyer’s six pairs of long slender wings. Owing their light weight and space hardiness to a gas phase ciculatory system, these creatures are generally docile, but will readily attack shard bearing vessels to aquire new shards to feed their young. Their gentleness and many luminous wings are what inspired pre-shard technology explorers to call them Sarephs.

Traveling in pods, Fyers scour the galaxy for shards, and only rest on high gravity planets briefly to regain lost nutrients and organic material and to deposit their eggs. Some reports suggest that they may in fact follow migratory patterns across the Sirrus system. When in space, these creatures survive on solar radiation and continually recycled organic matter.

A pod will constist of four or more mature adults each of which will possess an accelerator shard, and several juvenile Fyers which are dependant on the shards of the adults to generate their fields. All adult and most juvenile Fyers also possess de-atomizing shards used to generate intense radiation used to blast shards from small asteroids (and spacecraft).

5. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Losthawken: I suggest a bonus point to the first person who, when encountering the mogles, can justifiably have their character do a good impression of Nicolas Cage in the awful remake of The Wicker Man.

"NOT THE BEES! AGHGHGH!"

... ahem, sorry. :D

Is 'Sarephs' spelled correctly, per the Fyers? Just to make sure you didn't mean 'Seraphs,' anyway. I wouldn't have bothered asking were it not an in-universe term. And has there been any development of Fyerpaper, so to speak, to keep the pests away from the ships or to harness their shardiness for good evil situation-dependent purposes? ;)

6. losthawken

Didn't see that movie, you lost me there... :)

Sarephs is a typo, sorry it should be Seraphs. As to the other questions some technology has been developed which will help hide the shard signature from Fyers, but this will probably decrease the efficiency by which the shard can be used. You can have creative license with the technology and how it works, just keep the premise that the creatures are dangerous and that their attacking ships is a consistent problem.

Mogles and Fyers are the two staple sources of shards. These are the main creatures Seekers hunt trap and harvest to get shards. These space fairing organisms have been collecting shards for centuries, and it is far easier to find and collect shards from them than to try to find the shards scattered across the galaxy on your own.

7. Aconite

Aconite New Member

I just tossed you some links that explain The Wicker Man. Beware spoilers, but the remake is a horrible film anyway (the original, with Christopher Lee et al., is quite good.)

Thanks for the clarifications!

8. Forgotten_Memories

LOL Aconite... is that the one where he just randomly punches some woman in one scene? It's hilarious!

9. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Bingo. It is hilarious, although for all the wrong reasons. Anyway... ;)

10. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

LOL Aconite and Forgotten, I totally got that joke because I saw the movie in theaters with my old roomie and was laughing hysterically for half the film.

Nick Cage is a pretty decent actor but it was so corny that I think he was deliberately cheesing it up. And he totally does start randomly punching ladies, there was one lady that he drop kicked into a chalkboard (me and my friend had tears in our eyes)

...freaking hilarious, that movie should be banned for all the cruely to women:D

Now, ahem, you know of course Justin that me and my engineer friend will by thinking of all kinds of clever ways of getting around these pesky critters right?:cool:

11. losthawken

But of course :) Although, there may be a few details I've omitted just to keep things interesting ;) ;) And these critters will be the least of your problems, don't worry.

Also, we may have a new player to take Dustin's place, keep an eye out for Zane.

Has anyone heard from Lebby recently?

12. jonathan hernandez13

Actually no, which is surprising because he's normally a real chatty cathy:confused:

Maybe that's why the game I'm running has become so slow:rolleyes:

13. losthawken

Yeah Lebby is great for keeping the energy up in a game. Wonder where he went...

14. Forgotten_Memories

Justin... when do you think we're actually going to start this? :)

15. losthawken

That's why I was asking about Lebby, I told the Crimson Rose peeps that I wouldn't start until after that RPG was done, but with some people MIA we haven't been able to progress much in the last two weeks.

If Honorius will agree I would like to start this weekend.

16. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

You know what? That sounds awesome.

I will allow it, on the condition that Crimson does end at some point in time. Maybe not before Heart, maybe not till the end of it, but it must end.

17. losthawken

Deal. Stand by all passengers, we are about to launch...

I'll give a few starting instructions and goals, then start with the first post.

18. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

awesomeness!

19. Forgotten_Memories

Yaaaay! :)

20. jonathan hernandez13

excellent

[​IMG]

21. losthawken

Ah, the beginnings posts of an RPG are so exciting :)

JH/Adam, Aconite/Lev, Honor/Diana, and my character Artemus, will be starting at the Bar on the rendezvous planet Antair. Artemus will be engaging Diana in conversation in the first post.

FM/Dominic and Leaka/Allan will be starting from the space shuttle Perseus, on an exploratory mission into the depths of the Sirrus system to learn more about the Specters and how to stop their increasing raids into human space.

I still have to write the first post for the latter group. I'll have it up late tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime be plotting your introductory post :)

22. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

... you totally used those names on purpose...

23. losthawken

We'll see ;)

All of the others that have expressed interest but have not given me profiles yet need to do so before they can start. It won't be hard to catch you all up within the first few events, so don't worry, just do it.

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Can't wait to start. Wooo.

25. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

I can't wait to start either but today is one of those days...

*Keeps an eye on that black cat across the street*

It's not safe...

EDIT: 100th Post! Awesome.