1. beehoney

beehoney Member

Do anyone have a good website about Greek Mythology (Not Wikipedia!)?

Discussion in 'Research' started by beehoney, Jan 12, 2018.

Hello Writing-Community,

I think everyone in this forum knew the 12 Olympian Gods. You know Zeus, Hades, Athena, etc. Might he/she read famous books like Percy Jackson; might he/she made a presentation for the next history lesson; or might he/she saw a movie or played a video game (e.g. God of war).

So, my problem is I didn’t find a good website for searching information. Right information. Well, you can use Wikipedia.com. But the stuff is just that everyone can do anything on this site. Even put false facts on a site! That’s the reason why I don’t use Wikipedia.

Do anyone know a good website about Greek mythology—with right facts!—that is easy to read?

Bye and have a nice weekend,

Beehoney

2. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

I actually don't know a thing about the Greek gods or any mythology.

But a quick search on Amazon for "Greek mythology" brings up a bucket load of books, which are generally much more reliable than any website anyway. They might be your best source, and most don't cost all that much, especially if you get the Amazon reading app on your phone or some other online marketplace's equivalent or download it/them to an ereader. I always reveal in seeing the price difference between the paperback version of the book I'm buying and what I'm actually paying for the ebook version every time I take the digital route. :supergrin:

3. Tomb1302

Tomb1302 Senior Member

Haven't gone through it, but https://www.greekmythology.com/?

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

OT but you know that's why authors price their print books like that right ? and why the advice is generally to have a print book even if you don't sell many copies... its book marketing 101

Seren likes this.
  6. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Can't help with websites, but I know a few good books.

Graves' The Greek Myths is a good starting point, or Stephen Fry's recent Mythos which couches them in more modern and informal terms.

7. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

Theoi is the website that often comes up for me, but I usually resort to mythology books. While they're hit-or-miss and can have some misinformation, some aren't too bad. My go-to is Bulfinch's Mythology if I need a quick reference. You can the books digitally if that floats your boat or you can get a physical copy (which is what I do because I have trouble reading for along periods on an electronic screen).

Anyway...

History.com also has some basic information if you need another online source. :)