Do People Have Faith in Your Writing?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Kirby Tails, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Sato Ayako

Sato Ayako New Member

The only person who shows any degree of faith in my writing is my grandfather. He occasionally reads things I write, but never comments on them. However, if I need money to ship manuscripts, he's the first one to open his wallet. If I need someone to rant about my writing to, my grandfather sits and listens patiently, occasionally interjecting with his comments. If that doesn't show some degree of faith, I don't know what does.

My mother used to show a great deal of support for my writing, too. After I grew older, though, and my getting published wouldn't be something she could brag about, she stopped caring. I tell her I'm "thisclose" to being ready for publication and she just shrugs. It makes me sad.

2. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Do people have faith in my writing? Depends on what people you mean. Loved ones and family don't exactly count. (Does anyone's mom not have faith in whatever they do?) Lol. Some days I have faith in my writing. Some days I don't. At the end of the day, though, it's my faith and not anyone else's, that keeps me going.

3. Iron_Seitz

Iron_Seitz New Member

Traditionally I come from a very math and science-oriented family. My grandfather was a petroleum engineer, my dad is a property accountant, and my sister is currently one of the only women studying engineering at Texas A&M. So I'm sure I'll be the black sheep of the family career-wise someday, but that doesn't trouble me duly. Quite frankly, accounting's not for me. I'll either publish a book or ship off to the world's conflict zones as a print journalist. Much more interesting than cubicle work if you ask me.

That's not to say my family isn't supporting, by the way. I'm just destroying a long legacy of math-lovers (But I'm in good company! I'll be doing it along with my cousin, a Norwegian artist!)

4. Alexa

Alexa New Member

Hmm, well my mom believes writing will get me nowhere...when she sees me writing she asks why I can't spend my evenings or day doing something productive instead..my dad, when he sees me writing says I should get out and get a real life because writing is a hobby and is not really worth the time when I can be out in the world meeting new people

Let's just say they don't have too much faith in me.

But my sister does. I always share my ideas with her but I rarely get her to read my stuff. She writes as well and truthfully she's been my inspiration since I was young so when I have her read my stuff I feel like it's not good enough because I am comparing it to her writing and I'm not yet comfortable with that.

But my best friend gets to read my stuff. She gets to read my rough drafts..and then re-read my rough drafts after I change things..maybe even a few times, and she's my support she has the faith in me..and she pushes me more than anyone to finish some of the stories that I got her to read.

5. Kratos

Kratos New Member

My family supports me writing, but I haven't shown them my writing yet. I showed my brother, and he likes it (although he's 12, so that's not really saying much). My friends don't really like to read much, so they don't really care about it anyways.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'm not sure if my parents would have faith in my writing, because I make a point of never letting them see it. I know they support me writing, but I don't know if they'd actually like what I write.
    I do show it to other people, though- internet friends and real friends- and they all seem to like it very much. But the place where I get the most support from, without a doubt, is from my totally awesome seventh grade English teacher. We still hang out, and he reads my stuff and genuinely likes it. And he's the kind of guy who doesn't lie about that (although he's too frickin' nice to actually give a helpful critique).

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Honestly, nobody really knows I write actually. I don't like telling people 'cos then they'll expect me to be good and when I'm not they'll just think I'm being daft and yea, I just don't bother really.

8. La Flauta

La Flauta New Member

Yes and no.

I have support. People encourage me. They tell me it's good I write; they say it's in me; they tell me not to stop (I'm thinking of family here), but when it comes to actually looking into what I do and really saying I'm any good...nah.

I feel disappointed because I think it's lame to say, "I like to write" and that's all there is to it. I mean, sure. Anybody can type words into any kind of text box. How supporting is it really to say, "Good for you!" and to buy me a journal for my birthday? How meaningful is it really?

I get a mixed feeling from my mom when it comes to her support. She always seems to have a rain cloud of negativity over her head. This set on being realistic, knowing that I'm one of millions of talents out there and that I'm the girl who's struggling in English class, and I'm that child who was one of the last to learn to spell my name out in kindergarten. She's supportive, and she says the things I'm doing is really good, and sometimes I can sense pride from her. But at most times, I feel lack of support. Like I feel she's glad that I do these things, and she encourages me to keep at it and keep at it, but I don't really hear if I'm any good. She uses "good writer" with my name, as if it's a fact, but, I don't know... I just don't feel like she really has faith in me. It bugs me that she always downs anything I'm ever going to do. Like I'm going to have to struggle, carry a heavy ball and chain, in order to keep up with the norm. What I'm saying is... I get the vibe she thinks I'm a good writer. She thinks I'm good, and she encourages me to keep at it. But I'm only good for who I am. I'm good for me. But I'm not GOOD, good. Just like, for being that girl who couldn't even get past the first two letters in my name in kindergarten, I've come a long way.

9. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

They do, which bugs me. I want someone to tell me I am bad, which will make me realize the guys who have faith in me are useful and truthful. Okies, saying: 'You stink big time, never read such awful stuff' is just not my idea of constructive critique, so yeah, I want someone to tell me what to do rather than what I've done. Same goes for messing up in chores, but that's not the point here. :p

My mother is always like 'my daughter is a genius', ' she knows how to write like a scholar' etc which irritates me. I don't want to be a family prodigy in name, I want to prove it. But no one really can help, so yeah. :D But my friends often evaluate my plot lines and story structure, as well as my favorite sister. Though they can't improve my language skills, I can really brush up the loop holes thanks to them. But yeah, my friend once said and it still pumps me to write (she's a book addict): "You just need to shape up your ideas towards the realistic side a little bit more, and you'll be an ace writer no problem." It really encouraged me to continue writing.

10. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

I guess I'm lucky in that I have a good friend who writes a lot and several other friends who at least dabble some. My family (when I lived with them) always supported and encouraged me, and my hubby now cheers me on. That's a big help.

11. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

In order of importance:

1. I have faith in my writing, and in my work ethic -- which is what makes the writing pay.
    2. My husband has faith in my writing.
    3. My agent has faith in my writing.

Works for me.