Do witches smoke?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jack Asher, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I don't think any were actually burned, but hanged (hung for my southern brethren). I think I recall a man was pressed to death, but that might have come from a Hawthorne story.

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I think it's always hanged. The quote that leaps to mind is from Terry Pratchett's Maskerade.

3. Garball

Well, when you come from the land where you might tump your pirogue and any dark carbonated beverage is a coke no matter what the label says, people are hung.

Anywho, back to your question; how many people were executed and how?

4. Jack Asher

19 were hanged. You don't burn witches, you hang them. You burn heretics.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Weren't witches heretics? :p

6. Garball

and well hung, or,umm.....hanged well?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I do neither to witches. But if they are wicked wiccans, why not wight light the wick?

8. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

None, I believe they were all hung, but that's going back a ways in my memories. I could very well be wrong.

9. E. C. Scrubb

Well, when wet, warily wick water away from the wet wick whereby the weary wicked wiccan would watch warily while white light would light the worn wicked wick under the wicked wiccan witch.

Jack Asher likes this.
  10. Jack Asher

As far as I understand you can be a heretic without being a witch and then you are burned. But if you're a witch and also a heretic you are hanged.

As a heathen I'm afraid that's as far as I understand medieval christianity.

11. E. C. Scrubb

Huh, don't know about that. Literally, have no idea about that.

Witches however, are not heretics, at least not in the official terminology. A heretic is someone who was once a participant in orthodoxy and then moved to an unorthodox position. It is most often used for those in positions that can influence others, such as teachers, priests, etc. Granted, a medieval witch could have begun in the church, say, as a nun, but I don't seem to recall many of those kinds of situations.

So, a woman can be a heretic, a witch, or both, neither one is dependent on the other.

12. Herman Vermont

Herman Vermont New Member

In the west women began smoking in public very late. Women on the fringes were smoking in public forever. When I was growing up only old gypsy women were smoking long pipes in public. Young gypsy ladies were doing cigars and cigarillos. Cigarettes without filter were smoked by gypsy men. It took Hollywood to teach the rest of the world how its done.

Smoking gives pleasure to smokers regardless of health or social connotations. I love pleasing my heroines. If they were my witches I would give them cigars. I would put a cigar in that mouth and be done with.

Cheers,

Herman

13. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Pretty sure a which should be able to smoke, magic can prevent lung cancer I think

Witch* ... sue me

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  14. Garball

No. Who's and Hows smoke, a which freebases. It's the this, that, and those who put the stuff up their nose.

15. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

ok

16. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

No idea about the numbers of witches burnt in and after Salem. But I seem to recall from some detective show that it was actually only a few hundred all up.

However as to witches smoking (And I was also going to suggest when burnt - though obviously not if it was a really good hot fire) surely you have to consider the times and what smoking entailed. Are we talking pipes or cigarettes? Someone mentioned snuff. Is tobacco freely available? What are the social mores about smoking in the world? I mean if we're talking about the Victoria era then yes women smoked - often with long ornate cigarette holders. The middle ages probably not so many men or women smoked because tobacco wasn't so freely available to all and there were no such things as cigarettes anyway. These days I would expect a witch notto smoke, partly because of the now well known health risks, and partly because it's not really that cool any longer.

Cheers, Greg.

17. Herman Vermont

Herman Vermont New Member

Smoking can traced to 5000 BC across all cultures across the worldwide. Smoking emerged as part of religious ceremonies where shamans and priests would alter their minds and perhaps the minds of others in search of higher enlightenment.

This is what Wikipedia says what was smocked at the time:

Substances such as Cannabis, clarified butter (ghee), fish offal, dried snake skins and various pastes molded around incense sticks dates back at least 2000 years. Fumigation (dhupa) and fire offerings (homa) are prescribed in the Ayurveda for medical purposes, and have been practiced for at least 3,000 years while smoking, dhumrapana (literally "drinking smoke"), has been practiced for at least 2,000 years. Before modern times these substances have been consumed through pipes, with stems of various lengths or chillums.[4] Cannabis smoking was common in the Middle East before the arrival of tobacco, and was early on a common social activity that centered around the type of water pipe called a hookah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking

In my personal view, any shaman worth his salt would keep some secrets and would experiment with new ideas for learning purposes in secret. A witch knowing of a famous shaman may find a way to learn from him and emulate him, in her secret place and time. In one of these secret moments, well hidden from public view, an uber adventurous witch may decide experiment with smoking. There would be a plethora of botanicals at her disposal to experiments with, instead of tobacco, which, many or may not has reached her historical settings.

From a writer’s point of view, the secrets of such a witch may be exposed only to the reader while the rest of the characters in the story are left not the wiser. I can almost hear her maniacal laughter as she looks over her shoulder making sure that the door was securely bolted.

18. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

I think it really depends on which type of with she is. How you have portrayed her as a character in previous scenes? Is she a white witch or a black witch (I'm not talking colour of skin)

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Or if she's just smoking hot.

Dean Stride likes this.
  20. Jack Asher

I think in our enlightened and nuanced age absolutes like black and white would be perceived as conditional. That is to say, I don't believe that there is any defining line between white and black magic.

But suppose I did believe in it, what kind of witch would be the smoking kind?

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

All witches smoke on Tuesdays and during the annual Academy Awards telecast.

Wizards smoke every day except during Monday Night Football broadcasts.

Orcs play backgammon whenever there are more than two Russians aboard the International Space Station.

There. Controversy over. Get on with your lives, citizens! :D

22. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Witches can be black or white. A white witch can be black, and a black witch may be white. Casting a white witch who is black smoking may have as little consequence as a black witch who is white not smoking.

23. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Suspected witches were certainly burned to death in Scotland. The last woman to suffer this fate was Janet Horne, who was burned to death in Dornoch, in northern Scotland in 1727. Burning of suspected witches in Scotland was the 'done thing' as far as their execution method.

There is an interesting memorial cross on the outskirts of the tiny Perthshire parish of Dunning which commemorates the burning of a woman named "Maggie Wall." Much mystery surrounds this event, this woman herself, and who erected (and maintains) the cross. Worth looking at the website about this. I've been to this place (found it by accident) and was extremely bothered by it. The Norman-era church in the wee town is also incredibly forbidding. http://www.dunning.uk.net/maggie.html

24. Jack Asher

The sentiment really only applies to England, Whales, and by association America and (presumably) Canada and Australia, though off hand I don't know of any witch trials there.

But if you say it emphatically, with conviction, and without pausing, most people don't notice.
    Besides it's not as if anyone cares about what happens in places where they don't speak English.

25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Umm...I'm not sure exactly what you mean? (And it's Wales, not Whales...!) I presume you're joking about the 'speaking English' part? Scotland has had flush toilets for years as well...:)