Tags:
  1. katina

katina Banned Contributor

do you believe in magic?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Apr 22, 2019.

Is there such a thing?

Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

There's a spell called: Unlimited Questions. I think it was cast on this forum.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

No

Cave Troll, John-Wayne and katina like this.
  4. katina

Moon what is your avatar picture about?

5. katina

nice one haha. :D

6. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Not Even:

or

Now, if you will excuse me. this gag caused me mental harm, so I must go cleanse my mind of the first video I posted. :p .

No, but I do believe in Psychic powers as in one day I'm going to become God-Emperor and crush humanity. :p

Moon and O.M. Hillside like this.
  7. katina

LOL :supergrin:

John-Wayne likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Pretty sure he changes it daily. I do mine maybe twice a year.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

My avatar has never changed. (Bgawk!) :D

10. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

Of course. How else do you explain this:

Matt E, Alan Aspie and John-Wayne like this.
  11. Moon

This. You can't expect me to explain all of them.

Usually though, the face says it all.

John-Wayne likes this.
  12. John-Wayne

Nope, I tried changing mine once. Everyone liked the dog better so I turned it back

katina and Moon like this.
  13. Moon

You know why, right? It's cause of the magical husky.

14. John-Wayne

Naturally! Never doubt the magic of a husky, Nor their ability to escape from any situation

15. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Yes.
    Every once in a great while God throws stardust in our face and it feels like a kind of magic--like you're in a movie.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    John-Wayne and katina like this.
  16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

No, I don't believe in 'magic,' if by that you mean supernatural and controllable powers.

There is a lot out there that we don't (yet) understand, and maybe never will. Instinct. Psychic connections. Forerunners, etc. These are things that we don't understand and are unable to control—but they do happen. We can only open up to them and learn whatever they teach us. But they aren't 'magic' in the sense of a system of supernatural powers which certain people can learn to manipulate.

The idea of 'magic' as a power or a solution to certain problems usually comes when we wish we had it! It's usually a 'what-if' situation. What if I could just point a wand and that horrible thing/person/situation would just disappear? What if I could disappear myself? It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Fantasy based on magic. It can be fun for a while, but it's hard for me to take it seriously.

O.M. Hillside and katina like this.
  17. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Do I believe in magic?

It is totally up to definition of magic.

- There is magic in love, honesty, creativity...
    - Good art can move us without physically touching or forcing us.
    - You can use your phone as your wand to magically get a lukewarm pizza to your home.
    - You can magically look to far away places via your crystal ball. It is even called televisio. (I wanna see how Kimi and Bottas do in the next F1 GP. I'm gonna use that magical thing to see it.
    - It is possible that magical immaterial bugs haunt you. Those are often called viruses, troyans, worms... You might even have a complicated defensive spell against them. There are even big companies that sell these spells. F-Secure, Norton Security, Avast...
    - I have tried to understand female social codes... Magic, I think, magic.
    - I do complicated finger spells in this certain area of my laptop and other wanna-be writers all around the world can see my thoughts. That's magic.

Yeah...

How do you define magic?

18. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

I think most people define magic as that which is physically impossible. That which defies the laws of the universe. In that case, it's no surprise there is no such thing as magic. Some people define it as that which we are yet to understand. In which case, I'd agree there is plenty of that.

katina and Alan Aspie like this.
  19. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Oh...

You know... It's physically impossible to be in two places at the same time.

Or was... Or is... Or....

Is EPR paradox magic?

Oh?

Like Intergalactic Smuggling Company?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Matt E and katina like this.
  20. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I don't believe in magic, but I have no problem with magic in fiction, as long as it's useful to the plot and internally consistent. Too much of it is used as a deus ex machina to get the characters out of a pickle. But when the rules of magic are established and its limitations are defined, it can add a lot to the story. For example, Mary Stewart's Merlin had only a few powers (fire-making, prescience) but knew how to use them to best effect, and was acutely aware of the limits of his power.

On the other hand, I believe in wonder ... that sensation that things are happening, or could happen, outside the bounds of our previous experience. Is that magic? Whatever it is, I like it.

jannert, Some Guy and katina like this.
  21. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

You know, I'm going to say yes here. We've learned to manipulate arcane powers every day. We've harnessed all of the basic elements: fire, water, wind, earth. We've built airships that sail the seas of the sky. We harness ice magic to keep our food at safe temperatures. Our artificers etch spells into plates of silicon, which direct the element of lightning through sacred runes, powering all manner of mighty engines and intricate doodads. What more could one ask for really. Must I quote Arthur C. Clarke?

22. katina

Yes please. :)

Alan Aspie likes this.
  23. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

That depends. If you are talking literal magic, no I do not. However, if you are talking about metaphorical magic like love moves mountains, yes I do believe in magic. After all, we are all magicians. :superwink:

24. katina

Haha that is something. Very well observed.:superidea:

LoaDyron likes this.
  25. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

:superthink:I know I'm the oddball out here but if you mean magic as in supernatural magic then totally!! I believe people have forgotten what we as humans are truly capable of. Even if you stop and look around you for a moment and reflect deeply you will come to realize that we live in a magic world. A planet that is floating in the middle of the space being held up by magic. A sky that is not really blue it's all an illusion to mask the darkness right beyond the invisible force field protecting the earth.
    A juicy red watermelon emerges from the disgusting dirt and you can eat it!! and it's so sweet but has an outer shell to protect it so that it it stays clean for you.
    The flowers sprout from a hard brown earth yet they have so many colors. Where the the beautiful smell come from? And how do they all have their own unique fragrances?
    How does the moon come up and the sun goes down? Where is this moonlight truly coming from? People look to fantasy stories and movies for magic when the magic is all around us! Like this I can go on and on but we are surrounded by the wonders of magic that even science cannot fully explain no matter how hard they try.

I also beleive that we as people are capable of such magic ourselves and that we had full control over it in the past. But as we are now in the age of technology and science we have abandoned those ways. Science can go so far it's very limiting. There is something else that takes us to another place where there are no limits but that's another discussion for another day. Yes magic is real.