Novel Do you chapterise as you write?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by OurJud, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I write in chapters, but those divisions aren't fluid and I may re-order them. Actually I write in scenes and usually have 4-ish scenes per Chapter from different POVs, so right now my chapter breaks are where I finished a planned set of scenes..but I'm squishy as to where those chapter breaks are going to be later, especially since I can pretty easily plug-and-play be shifting which scenes go where in my format.

Tesoro likes this.
  2. Franz Hansen

Franz Hansen Member

I outline chapter by chapter. So, in the manuscript, I know what scenes I have for a specific chapter. Once those are done, I move on to the next chapter.

3. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

No - I wait until all the writing is done. I edit a few things, do a few readthroughs and then I chapterise.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Chapters? We don't need no stinking chapters! I will be the odd man out on this one. Possibly do to the fact that the way I have written the bulk of my own so far may be to confusing to figure out where slap 1,2,3,etc. Mind you I can't think of any piece that is not broken into little mini stories to create whole. Though for what it is worth I find that a chapter should be more than a couple of pages (run into this on occasion where one chapter is 15pages and the next is literally 2pages, then followed by 15 in the next). I wondered about that one off and on. What do you think about extremely short chapters? I really want know. I think if it is that short it should be put on the tail end of the preceding one, or in the next. Idk, just find that a bit odd, when I come across such things. :p