Do you enjoy eggcorns?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by somemorningrain, Jan 16, 2021.

1. somemorningrain

somemorningrain Member

"The new BBC boss has hired consultants to help him reduce waste and slash the number of managers at the corporation.
    He is understood to have spent weeks hold up in an office looking at how to cut unnecessary waste and bureaucracy."
    Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208748/BBC-executives-marry-affairs-Departing-broadcasting-chief-reveals-culture-London-based-staff.html#ixzz27ZeoVAd5

= hold up vs. holed up.

>>>> Though it's only thanks to the word Eggcorn that I'm able to keep finding this thread via search when I want to post in it, so I think that should still be included. Maybe something like Eggcorns and other common grammatical errors.

Same here. I think regular contributors to this thread know that the topic of "eggcorns" has evolved/ expanded into "other common grammatical errors". This can be a rare case of the more specific including the more general, rather than the more common case of the more general including the more specific!

2. somemorningrain

somemorningrain Member

Did Johnny Depp Help Himself with His Testimony? | Johnny Depp / Amber Heard Case Analysis

Michelle Rezende

2 days ago

I’ve had a relationship like that. In the beginning it was wonderful, little time latter he started provoking me all the time. I’m a quiet person and I thrive alone. He would never leave me alone, I should never have alone time, I couldn’t play little games on my phone to distract myself, he would take my phone and play it “for me” in front of me in a passive aggressive way. He would berate me on the simplest things from the moment I woke up to the time to sleep, and I noticed he wanted me to follow his time, his time to sleep, his time to wake up, and he would be so aggressive trying to make me feel lazy that I would sleep 4 hours a day to “fulfill all my duties”. After some years I was sleep deprived, always tired, jumpy to his every berating talk to me and having memory loss and absurdly depressed, having panic and anxiety attacks. If we went to friends gatherings he would start provoking me before going out, so I would blow up at the event from what he said and I was put like the crazy one. I stayed for more than 5 years, waiting for the wonderful person I met at the beguining to come back, then it donged on me that that person never existed. Now I see he doesn’t self regulate, he is a huge narcissist who thought I was his perpetual punching bag… and it might not be big, once he gave me a 45 min lecture on how to close the blinds properly in order to not damage our property. It was humiliating and so demeaning… things like that throughout the years break a person. And he is now happy with a new punching bag and a kid, and I’m free.

Show less

= donged on me vs. dawned on me

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

From a review of a product on another forum:

"peaked" for "piqued"

And then there's that mainstay of the internet, "Walla!" (for "Voila!").

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I saw this in a movie review of "Barbie" in today's paper. Not sure if this is really an eggcorn, but I got a chuckle out of it"

"Warner Bros. released a first-look image of Margot Robbie starring as the titular Mattel doll in 'Barbie'..."

I'm sorry, but I am a dirty old man.

Xoic likes this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Lol—not an eggcorn, but a nice play on words nontheless.

6. somemorningrain

somemorningrain Member

"It's a good time to pace yourself and consider practical angles to your endeavors. Filling your duties also makes sense as it will free you up for more engaging activities later."

filling your duties vs. fulfilling your duties

7. JLT

I heard this on a newscast recently:

"That could be done, but it would be a hard road to hoe."

BTW, I found a whole section on eggcorns in I book I found at a book sale. The book is called Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon our Language, by Richard Lederer, and the section is titled "Modern Day Malapropisms." So if you like this sort of thing, there's your book.

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, hoeing ain't easy.

9. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

It depends how many hoes you're using.

10. SapereAude

Especially through concrete or macadam.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Pimping is another story. Like Biggie said, pimping ain't easy but it sure is fun!

Naomasa298 likes this.
  12. SapereAude

That book is available for Kindle. I just bought it. Thanks.

13. JLT

Which reminds me of the great Herb Caen's comment about how a Salvation Army Santa Claus was seen setting up his tripod and donation kettle and giving the traditional Santa laugh at a certain intersection: "It isn't the first time there have been three 'hos' at that street corner."

14. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I had to look up the definition. I’m not sure what you mean by ‘enjoy’ them. I suppose to most people use of an eggcorn would be the sign of an uneducated person.

15. JLT

Or at least a person who is so unfamiliar with the phrase that he or she has to try to make sense of it using their own experience. If you've never ridden a horse, "free rein" would't make sense to you, so you interpret it as "free reign" because that interpretation seems to make sense in the context. If you've never used a hoe on a field planted in rows (and most people haven't), then "a hard road to hoe" seems as likely an interpretation as any.

So the speaker isn't suffering from a lack of education so much as a lack of experience. There's a story I heard about some children at a church picnic who were singing after the meal. The hymn was "Weak and Sinful Though We Be." One child that that the lyrics were "We Can Sing, Full Though We Be." It certainly made sense to the child, for whom the concept of sin was still fairly nebulous.

16. Xoic

It's also the fact that people don't read much anymore. They've heard some of these phrases, but never seen them written (because who reads books anymore?) They know how they sound, but not how they're spelled.

I often have the opposite problem. I've read many words and phrases that I've never heard in speech, so don't know how they're pronounced. I'm sure I mentioned the time in college speech class when I pronounced deity so it rhymed with tidy (die-dee—sounds like a nickname for diapers) and sieve so it rhymed with grieve. Seeve. Tell ya what—I'll never make those particular mistakes again!! :bigoops:

17. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Yeah, it's like, if you've never seen the film, you might think the phrase Free Willy refers to... never mind.

18. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I’m never sure if it’s ‘tow path‘ or ‘toe path’. Both make sense in their own way. I suppose that’s an eggcorn.

Tow the line? Toe the line?

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  19. SapereAude

"Tow path" is correct. The tow path is the path that ran alongside inland canals for the horses or mules that were used to drag the barges up and down the canal.

On the other hand, "toe the line" is correct for indicating being READY! From track, when runners line up with their toes on (but not across) the starting line.

OurJud and Xoic like this.
  20. Xoic

Yep. I had a friend whose dad owned a towtruck company and he thought it was tow the line. Which almost makes sense, since there is such a thing as a towline—however you don't really tow the line so much as you tow a wrecked car with it, in the same way you don't cut the knife, you cut things with it.

21. SapereAude

I'm surprised it doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but it doesn't come up in a search. Another Internetism:

"Low and behold ..."

evild4ve likes this.
  22. SapereAude

Not only "hold up." Did anyone report the erstwhile BBC boss for plotting to commit mayhem on his employees?

23. JLT

I was with my dad at the Erie Canal Museum in Syracuse, New York. He asked one of the docents an interesting question: since there was usually only one tow-path, what happened when two barges met coming from opposite directions? The answer: the barge on the opposite side of the canal from the tow pat drops its tow rope to allow the near-side barge to pass. It's one of those things that people never think about now, but that was part of the canal's working life.

24. Jlivy3

Jlivy3 Active Member

Cats, man. Cats.

25. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

Possibly a spelling mistake rather than a true eggcorn, but this one from an American website quoting a British comedy grated on my nerves:

"You, you blue burke!"

Burke is a surname.
    The insult (meaning idiot, for any non brits who aren't familiar with it) is berk.

evild4ve likes this.