Do You Find Many Writers To Be "Pretentious"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by frigocc, Mar 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Sorry, totally my fault, I really should have understood that not everyone on a creative writing forum that declares themselves to be a master of everything would have a working knowledge of irony and subtext⸮ Guess I should start using percontation marks.

deadrats and halisme like this.
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think it's highly likely that there are people who would try to deny the US-born children of illegal immigrants the rights of citizenship, including the right to vote.

Pretty much everything is political. Fiction needs conflict. There aren't many conflicts that aren't applicable to one political issue or another.

deadrats likes this.
  3. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

We agree on that much.

4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

[​IMG]

5. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I think on forums writers who lack ability and don’t understand what they’re doing wrong often get upset and so view pointers as signs of pretention.

Let’s face it, people are not fond of hearing bad news. It is easier to blame someone else for their faults than to amend our own.

On forums there is a certain level of arrogance, but that just comes with the territory. At the end of the day even a novice dishing our advice can act pretentiously, yet they may say something useful. The most annoying thing is having words put into your mouth by another. This happens all the time online. Rather than asking if you meant X not Y people like to posture and paint you a certain colour.

It’s all fun and games though. Forums are interesting places to view human nature (amplified).

J.T. Woody, Some Guy, jannert and 2 others like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The thing about Shakespeare is that he was incredibly popular with ordinary folks at the time his plays were being shown. He was the crowd-pleasing Steven Spielberg of his day. The fact that more than 500 years has passed since he was 'the thing' doesn't make him pretentious. It just means it takes a bit more effort in our time and place, to understand what his words referred to. It was worth it to me. A lot of what he wrote was actually very funny.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Also, seeing a Shakespeare play is fundamentally different from reading the words. It's infinitely easier to enjoy the words when you've seen them performed.

I wander off to watch Kenneth Branagh's St. Crispin's Day speech:

And that argument between Beatrice and Benedick:

jannert likes this.
  8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Gohd! I couldn't care less!
    Boring? Now that's when I light the torches and get the pitchforks!

9. jim onion

jim onion New Member

It's important to sift through pretentious criticism and try to find anything that might be of value to you.

Writers might come across as pretentious. I got way more of that vibe from theat- sorry, I almost vomited - theater kids.

To be honest though I think pretentiousness comes with the territory, no matter what art form. There's pretentious stereotypes for photographers, painters, poets, novelists, journalists, etc. And there's *at least* a grain of truth to them all; probably a whole heap actually.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    jannert and XRD_author like this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

There is an element of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' sometimes, isn't there? And we say, 'Oh, isn't that gorgeous? Doesn't he look fine?' when we actually can't see anything at all? Because we're afraid to be the wee boy who says, but he's not wearing anything at all.

jim onion likes this.
  11. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I know what you mean. People have to realize that it's okay to say, "Yeah, I don't get it." Or, "Yeah, I don't like it."

Explaining art to someone can sometimes be like explaining a joke to someone.

jannert likes this.
  12. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Like in anything you take part in their are pretentious people. There was one woman on another forum I was briefly apart of until I found my home here, and she was very pretentious. She seemed to talk down to everyone as though they were idiots. You'd get new writers asking questions and she'd say things like:
    "If you haven't learnt this yet then you should be studying your craft NOT trying to write." - I saw those two as mostly one in the same.
    She banged on about her published work at every available opportunity. She also seemed to have a mean streak for youngsters and since I was fourteen I came under fire several times. People either outright disliked her or bow to her in hopes of saving their skin. If she lost a disagreement she would act offended so you'd apologise. However, she would never give the names of her book saying 'their were crazy people on the internet'. (There are crazy people in the world too but you put your books out there, thinks I)
    But I did mange to find her books and they hadn't done very well. She'd done well enough to publish traditionally, so they were of a standard but the review that she did have were mostly 1-2 stars. I just decided to take what she said at face value. I used what was helpful and ditched the rest, if she tried to spar with me I would just ignore her.

But sometimes you meet people who are overly humble. They're quite good and deep down they know it, but constantly go on about being bad at writing. Maybe in the hopes someone will say something to boost their ego.

Most writers I find to be lovely. We are an odd species. Lots of creative acts involve collaboration, and some need it otherwise the art would die out.

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

that excuse roughly translates as she doesn't have anything published worth talking about (people who talk down with nothing to back it up but ego tend to get banned here)

cosmic lights likes this.
  14. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

What does that even mean? :confused:

15. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I'm only guessing - not speaking for Badger - but I thought it meant that it's easy to be arrogant when you're anonymous and behind a screen.

Another thing I've noticed on the internet is that it's easy to mistake somebody for being pretentious / arrogant when they may just be blunt and to-the-point. Or in other words you can read something in a way that sounds quite far off from the writer's intention; sometimes a matter of projection, sometimes a matter of careless wording on behalf of the writer, etc. The internet is notorious for these misunderstandings. It "comes with the territory".

J.T. Woody likes this.
  16. Bone2pick

Easy? I don't even know what you mean by that. I know I expect/demand the same civility on a forum as I would/do in person. It might be "easy" (whatever that means) to be a bald-faced liar on a forum, but it's no less intolerable. At least for me.

XRD_author likes this.
  17. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I think you are missing the point.
    Its easy for a little person to go on the internet boasting the longest legs in the world and look down on others for their own deficiencies. I could go around this forum boasting I was the best writer in the world, but in reality, the only one i've read my writing to is my ferret. and he's deaf.
    (disclaimer: i dont do this)

You expect/demand the same civility you give, but it doesnt work like that. you never know who you are talking to behind the screen.

Comes with the territory....

cosmic lights and jim onion like this.
  18. Bone2pick

Yes, it does. That's the point.

XRD_author likes this.
  19. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

bullies aren't going to be nice to you just because you are nice to them.... especially bullies behind a computer screen. there is no incentive to be nice or civil. who are you to them? a username and a google image.

Part of the reason why this is the first chat room/forum space I've ever joined. i typically dont converse with strangers on the internet for the reason I said above. But I like you guys and I've not encounter an "internet bully" on here so far.

I also acknowledge that there are people out there/on here who don't care what I expect or demand or that I am civil. to adapt the words of Tommy Pickles: "A baby's gunna do what a baby's gunna do"

cosmic lights and jim onion like this.
  20. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

“No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.” -- HG Wells

Some Guy, Reece, Bone2pick and 2 others like this.
  21. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Seven, you always have the best quotes.

--

Seven Crowns likes this.
  22. Bone2pick

I've never made, or even hinted, at those claims. Nor would I ever.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    XRD_author likes this.
  23. Fallow

Fallow Banned

What are you going to do? Punch them in the nose? Walk away from your computer and never return?

jim onion likes this.
  24. jim onion

jim onion New Member

You're so pretentious. Like, literally, oh my Gawd.

25. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I don't think that writers are any more pretentious than other people. People can come across as pretentious and condescending across any field. Snobbery abounds.

jim onion and Shenanigator like this.