Do you find the world boring?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Acglaphotis, Aug 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I know one wants me to have fun.
    I don't even want to have fun because life is so predictable.
    I tried to do things that I have never done before, but either my expectations are set to high or set to low. I end finding in something that I have never done before something I have done.
    I am not good at separating fantasy with reality.
    I want the fantasy and fantastical to come into the real world. I don't want real life anymore I want what I read.
    That is why I am bored with life because instead of driving to work in my car how about driving to work on a broom.
    We would have flying broom license.
    I wish magic and all that stuff was real.
    I have a hard time splitting reality and fiction apart.

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Ok, I exaggerated just a little bit, but to clarify, I am bored because I can't feel surprise, or rather, nothing surprises me anymore. Don't worry! Even though the list is extremely narrow, I still know how to enjoy and appreciate things.

@Acglaphotis: I'm straightforward like that, and with exceptions, I generally agree to the first post.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...anything but!... would that it could bore me, since there's so much awfulness in it that can't possibly be boring for those suffering it, i'd welcome a boring world with open arms and a grateful heart...

...plus, there is so much beauty and wonder in it that is mind/soul-expanding, no one but the brain/soul-dead could be bored by it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...imo, that could only be said/believed by one who knows nothing about anything beyond their own cosseted little personal world and doesn't want to see what goes on even next door, or across the street...

4. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I find that all my WoW-obsessed e-buddies tend to turn out to be total "asses." Their exact words, not mine.

Anyway, Life isn't boring for me. I'm sure if it was, I'd have tied boulders to my feet and jumped into the Pacific long ago.

Sure, there are boring days. But there are more days where I'm just liquified rabbit food on my bed sighing helplessly that there is just " Too much do, and so little time!" It helps to have a brother with manic depressive disorder, I suppose, and two other younger brothers who I have shouting matches with and end up kicking in the ankles with my stilletto heels. And an older sister who - whenever I'm with her - makes other sisters turn sour and say: " You guys laugh too much."

I guess, I'll throw in a crazy, workaholic mother who is never without a story to tell ( I kid you not), and a father who spoils me to the point where even I realize he does.

And reading. My first real memory of childhood was of my first trip to the school library. I may not be able to write well, but I love to read. How can life ever be boring when you've got books? D:

1 person likes this.
  5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

The world is interesting. Boring people find it boring. End of story.

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Hmm? Maybe boring was the wrong word? How about predictable? It's just a catchy title, surely you don't really believe that this title could sum up the entirety of what I was trying to say. The first part of your post was exactly the kind of response I was asking for but this just feels like anger directed at me. I said that I did travel but that most places hold my interest for little time.

Even more blunt that Nilfiry... Why do you say that is? Don't you have an opinion which goes beyond just stating this? I want to know the extended version. By the way, are you calling me boring? I'd hate to be labeled as that. I'm only trying to discuss an interesting subject, how can you really condemn that as boring?

@Still Life: I agree with you. I only tried to say that the world was boring. Life is a different animal altogether, and it's mere existence is interesting.

7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Wow! From where did that come?

8. the norse atlantic saga

the norse atlantic saga New Member

just sayin', if the world bores you, you aren't scaring yourself enough. Either that or you aren't doing something taxing enough on you. Grinding work and total fear will solve the boredom in an instant flat.

9. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Although I don't think fear really replaces boredom. A scary game doesn't become fun or interesting just for being scary. In the work point I must agree with you. Maybe I'm having this particular philosophical inspiration because I have nothing to do until 3 weeks from now when classes will start.

10. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Hmmm... >_>

May I just say this...? The world in itself is full of life, I am slightly confused how one can separate the two and say the world is boring but life isn't... :/

11. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

The setting is different from the characters. By itself, I find it boring. Human behavior and psychology are very interesting. And not just that, the concept itself of life is interesting as well. How did it came to be? What is life and what is not? Is consciousness a requirement for life? This things are interesting but more adequate for another discussion. Sorry if I gave the impression that I find everything boring. Just the setting which has been set upon us.

12. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Oooh - you know, one of my dreams is to spend a year on the Serengeti. Not many people there (I would hope, at least ;)). The reason I have for wanting to do that is because the Serengeti is subject to some of the most violent extremes of nature. In summer, the earth is scorched dry, the ground becomes hard and cracked and the earth offers little sustenance to the creatures that inhabit it.

Winter brings torrid storms - rain, thunder, lightning...a spectacular showing of the forces of nature. And then the spring arrives, and the desolate plain becomes one of the lushest, green paradises you're ever likely to see. I find all this endlessly fascinating, and would love to bear witness to each season. It's (excuse the cliche) one of the greatest examples of life I can think of, and I personally see no consciousness behind those forces.

Of course, I also have an obsession with lions, so any chance I have to see on in real life, I'd jump at it. :)

13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

That does seem like an interesting place. A place which is not the same every season? I'd love to go each season just to witness each of them (Places don't hold my interest long enough to make me want to spend a full year there, but it does sound particularly uncommon). I live close enough to the jungle to have seen some fairly unusual animals. No lions yet. But I have seen a tiger. ; )

14. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

If you convince yourself the world is boring the world is going to be boring.

15. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Look at it this way. This world hasn't changed significantly and probably never will. I'm not talking about socially or even biologically. I'm talking fundamentally, you see, this is world will never experience any of the other things we see in fiction or imagination. The world is hardbound to the laws of physics and reality is bound by logic to make sense. Which in the long run, makes the world predictable and thus boring. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not depressed, melancholic nor sad about this. I just find it a bit annoying that the fictional universes get the cool stuff, huh? Now, I probably won't run out of interesting things to do [ever]. Thinking, reading, gaming, discussing interesting stuff here or elsewhere, or just watching people do their thing (I like psychology as I said above) is enough to make boredom go away.

16. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I see your basic point, but that hardly makes the world boring. Okay, dragons and unicorns don't exist, magic is not real and no human can fly, etc., etc. How does reality equate boring? It doesn't. The possibilities in this world may not be as open as in fiction, but there's so many things in the world, so many places, people, animals, events, instances out there. The world is a BIG place. There are billions of different people all with different lives and personalities. There's just so many different things to the world, I fail to see how it's 'boring'. If you're going to think the world is boring because we can't fly or no magical creatures exist, then honestly, I do think that's silly. No offense, but I do think concluding the world is boring because it's not like it is in fictional fantasy stories is a strange standard to hold reality to.

Besides, if it WASN'T bound by all of the rules of our real world, how can you be sure you wouldn't find that boring too? It would be the norm, and you'd obviously find yourself wondering about another type of existence.... I really just don't get the point of convincing yourself you're bored with the world when you've most likely lived about as average of a life as anybody. Maybe branch out and experience more, be a little bit more open-minded.

17. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

If predictability isn't boring, then what is? Don't worry, I don't mind being silly. I can't help it. I only mind being boring... That would be the opposite of what I strive for. Still, in my OP I said that I'd prefer this reality over others (*if you want to read the excerpt go to the end of the post).

Now this is where it gets interesting... I addressed that in the OP

That's what makes it enjoyable.

The world is boring, but I am not bored. Maybe life has been average for me. But isn't that what I am doing now? Posting a thread here is something new to me, and intelligent discussion of an interesting subject is almost missing in most of my everyday life. Trust me, I am hardly bored most of them time. Only in situations where I'm required to pay attention to uninteresting things I become bored.

18. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

You can only be bored if you're a boring person.

Before you attack me, just know that it's my philosophy teacher who said that. :]

19. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

1st) I already said I'm not bored. And my life-goal is avoid being boring.
    2nd) I don't like to attack people. I've tried (thoroughly) not to offend anyone with my arguments. Sorry if it seemed that way. :redface:

20. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

If you're not bored, what's the point of this thread?
    The world can never be boring if you make it interesting.
    I'm used to people taking things the wrong way online; I'm glad you're one of the "special" people who are actually civil. ;]

21. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

To discuss an interesting subject. Isn't that the point of most threads in 'The Lounge'?

22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, if we are just discussing for the sake of discussing…. I once dated a guy who had a way about him where he was always looking to turn the knob up to 10. That’s the way I described it to him during a conversation at our couples counseling. Everything he did always had to be one-upped by the next thing. Maximum input at all times.

It was a strange thing to talk about and to describe. I felt embarrassed at my analogy, but it was the best thing I could think of at the time.

I explained that somewhere along the line, he had lost the ability to enjoy things at a 7 or a 5. Everything always had to be cranked to the limit. Everything. Music, food, partying, clubbing, EVERYTHING!

He could not sit on the back porch and enjoy the beauty of silence.

He could not go to the beach and revel at the feel of sand between his toes or fingers.

He could not go fishing and have enjoyed the day, even if nothing was caught.

It was as if everything became old in the instant that it was done and it had to be outdone by the next thing, and there was no going back to enjoy things already done. It was terrible!

I am a very relaxed kinda’ guy. I can spend the day listening to the surf by myself, looking for shells or peeking into tide pools and consider it a day very well spent. A day like that is a jewel to me!

23. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Yeah, I like that, just mellowing out and enjoying life for what it is...too bloody short to play it too high or too low, at least all the time. Everything in moderation, isn't that what they say? Also, if you invest interest in something, even one that fails to interest you, you will find something to take from it and give to it. Balance.

24. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I do not find the world boring. There are many things in this world that interest me. I enjoy watching animals, fish especially, and insects. I love a good thunderstorm that can startle me when there's a thunder boom, even though I get irritated if I lose power.

I really enjoy reading and writing. I've often wished I could be an adventurer and do think this world would be more interesting with magic and magical creatures in it (if it were my choice I'd be an elf with a bow - that way I could live longer). But there is still plenty in the world to make me feel as if it is not boring.

And raising 4 children mostly on my own definitely keeps things lively at my place. Can't wait until all 4 are teenagers and still living at home with me; thats when things are really going to get interesting.:eek:

I like camping too, getting away from the hum drum normal life and making a nice fire and getting woke up at o dark hundred by a bunch of squacking birds that think since they are up everyone in the forest is supposed to be up.

I think that place called Serengeti sounds like an interesting place to visit, I don't remember hearing about it before today reading about it here.

Oh and I've always loved to build things with Lego bricks!

25. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I think it would be a slow, sure death inside me to be with someone like that, even if the person was actually a pretty nice guy. I think that's why relationships come so far and few between for me. Unfortunately, a lot of people are geared this way anymore.