Do you have goals?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cailinfios, Jan 22, 2014.

?

Do you have goals like the ones mentioned in the thread?

1. Yes!

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. No!

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Sometimes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I was thinking about this a little more because I don't have a word count goal I'm trying to hit. If I'm working on my novel, it might be more like a chapter I'm trying to finish. But I don't know how many words that will be. I rarely write short stories in one sitting, but sometimes I do. They tend to be my shorter stories (closer to 3k than 5k). Still, hours were poured into those stories. I lost track of time when I went wrote those stories. Sure, they were still only first drafts, but they were probably a lot better than if I had been aiming for any certain word count quota. And most of the time I don't finish a chapter, short story, easy, etc.

I think routine is a goos thing for a writer to develop. And there's no harm in trying out different methods since in doing so you'll likely find one that works for you. I find sitting at my kitchen table every morning and just banging away at that keyboard works pretty well for me. I don't write every day. I've got my reasons that are probably excuses. But I do work hard when I work. It doesn't matter to me if it takes me four hours to get out a good 1k words. I rather that than twice as much isn't quite right. I don't know. I just demand creativity at certain times and try my best. I do write almost every day, but sometimes I need breaks.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  2. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

I aim for 1,000 a day, but don't always make it.

GaMeFreakJ and aModernHeathen like this.
  3. aModernHeathen

aModernHeathen Banned

This is what I'd like to start shooting for!

Edward M. Grant likes this.
  4. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

I think it's a pretty good number if you have a day job. That's potentially 3-4 novels a year, though I keep writing novels that end up much longer than I intended, so I don't produce that many.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  5. ciinddyyy

ciinddyyy New Member

I always try to write at least one page. Which is about 400-600 words depending on how much dialogue is included. On days that I just feel completely disconnecting from writing, I go over what I had previously written. It works for me. :)

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If you double spaced you could get twice as much work done with the same amount of effort.

marshipan likes this.
  7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I gave up numerical writing goals for this year, because writing to numbers resulted in a lot of absolute shit that had to be deleted. As a result, the quality of my writing is a lot better, and my scenes and chapters are far more interesting.

Now my goals are much simpler: "Edit this scene" "Get this character to the next chapter" "Set up the downfall of this character" or what have you. ETA: The length of these goals varies greatly, and I tend to tailor them depending on how much time I have for a particular writing session. But I do sit down with a goal.

ETA: I should also add, I'm writing "less" and don't always write every day, whereas I was before. But my usable creative output is more than ever.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Lifeline and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  8. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    Just to work on my book everyday. I don't set word goals but I usually don't stop until I've got about 1,000 at least but I find myself usually doing quite a bit of revision each session and getting a good part of a chapter finished if not outright completed. Chapters being atleast 3k. Writing is immensely satisfying for me so it's not too much of a struggle to get the ball rolling.