Do you have one world for all your fantasy stories to take place in?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by 8Bit Bob, Sep 29, 2017.

1. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

I've got a series of blog posts (here) about worldbuilding, and I talk about the one I'm doing now. Back in high school I made a world and set several (unrelated) stories there; the one I'm doing now is far better developed, but the concept remains the same - a place where I can set various stories. Some of them will be related this time, and some will just use people, groups, and locations that appear in other stories.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I have a sci-fi setting I've been building on-and-off for ten years. I know the rough history of it over the course of almost a thousand years, so I have not only a lot of worlds and cultures to play with, but also a lot of time periods. I have a lot of different stories in mind for it, but at least four completely distinct ones. At some point I just decided that any sci-fi ideas I had would just be adapted to fit into it - it's not like there's not room!

I also have a near-Earth setting that my killerverse, ufverse, and apocverse stories are all set in. These three are distinct, but I decided to put them all in the same setting and probably leave sly references to each other in them. The thing is that killerverse and ufverse kind of have to at some point run into the apocalypse of apocverse, so that'll be fun. And it's probably some fantasy nonsense from ufverse that caused the apocalypse. They'll have to tie in together, I just don't know if I'll actually write them to that point or leave it vague, hahah.

I plan to write more in the setting I made for my fantasy/mystery/anti-romance novel, too, because it was fun and I know I can play in it a lot more.

Honestly, I have a hard time not doing this. For me worldbuilding kind of incites other stories. Oh, there was a war in the past of this story? Well, who fought in it, what were their lives like, what can I do with that? Etc.

3. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

I'm as yet unpublished, so I'm not sure if my word counts for much here, but...
    I have two 'WIPs'. The first is the novel I'm working on and keep referencing around the forums, the sci-fi/space fantasy. The other is a high fantasy novel with a similar, but slightly different mythos.
    The high fantasy novel has its own creation story, its own monsters (among other things, it's got a proper phoenix, where my space fantasy does not), and even magic works slightly differently. It's been put on the back burner while I stew over the fact that I am not, in fact, Tolkien, and also not, in fact, as funny as I think I am. One of these days I'll rewrite it with a narrative voice that doesn't cause me physical pain.

4. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

The world I've created actually predates my current novel which is set in it. Well, to be exact, as I history buff, the first thing I created was history of a single state and other things started to develop in relation to it. I also have a quasi mythology and lore, but nothing definite, and the setting of my novel is not related to it, at least not at the moment. It was created more or less as a fictional history chronicle and not a classic imaginary or 'secondary' world most fantasy writers.
    I tend not to focus too much on worldbuilding at the moment as I prefer to discover the story bit by bit, through the eyes of the characters, and leave the rest to the reader.

5. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I created a world for my fantasy series. Since the plot centers around the very creation of the world I've had to do some intensive world building. The geography is completed, five continents plus an underground continent). I have a world history of around 6000 years that includes wars, inventions, climate change,art and literature, etc. That's the price of having a MC grow up in a library. That said, I've decided to write on more short story (I'm learning to us Scrivener)before starting the draft of the first novel and it will take place in Triskele.

6. Verdict

Verdict New Member

Surprisingly enough, I don't. Originally, I spent so much time fleshing out a fantasy world, my first modern fantasy, that I never expected to use any other world. It was just too detailed.

Turns out, I have a knack for churning out worlds on the spot. Just a week ago I wrote a writing prompt on Reddit, and it spawned a series I update daily. There was no world to begin with, just a general fulfillment of the prompt, but now, in just a week, I've come up with a plot, a host of characters, and a conclusion, not to mention the world itself. I drew maps, came up with the specifics of each country, a magic system, etc.

Basically, it was nice to learn something about myself. I'm good at coming up with things on the spot, be it a character, plot, or setting.