Do you keep typing when you aren't feeling anything?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tea@3, Dec 20, 2015.

1. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

For me writing one scene when I don't have the motivation is fine, I'll just come back and flesh it out later, but personally if I keep writing without feeling there comes a point when it's detrimental. When I did camp NaNoWriMo last year I was essentially writing without feeling it a lot of the time which was great for moving the story forwards . At the end of the month I had 40,000 words but most of it didn't have that spark behind it. At the end of the month I'd completely burned myself out trying to dredge up inspiration when there was none. When I found the inspiration to edit I found it really hard to flesh it out in such a way it didn't feel like mechanics + fluff without rewriting it completely. I think if I'd taken my time to build inspiration for each scene in the month it would have been easier to edit because I may have been more in love with it.

In short personally I can write without feeling it and does help to work through a difficult scene sometimes. It's great for a few thousand words if I'm stuck, not so much tens of thousands. My new strategy is to write a few hundred words but if I'm still not feeling it to leave it and work on something else.

Tea@3 likes this.