1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.

Do you know...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Hwaigon, May 31, 2017.

Do you know anybody whose English is a second tongue and who writes so damn well you went like 'Boy, I'm impressed.' ?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh, yes. Our moderates @KaTrian and @T.Trian. Both of them have an idiomatic grasp of English that constantly amazes me. The other mods are all native English speakers, so I expect it of them, but our two Finnish mods are a wonderment to the linguist in me. We chat all the time and their deft deployment of the most nuanced of English idioms at the correct time and juncture is truly remarkable.

KaTrian likes this.
  3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Aw, you think we write good? That's so suite! :bigoops::-D

Cave Troll, Mckk, Lifeline and 5 others like this.
  4. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

T
    Thanks for the tip. I shall be close at their heels. Just, kinda, needed to know natives acknowledge foreigners' written command. I probably must have run into wrong people. Or something.

5. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

The girlfriend. English is actually her third language, and I didn't realise she wasn't native until 2 years after I met her.

6. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

That's amazing.

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You didn't ask her where she was from for two years?

8. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

They might have dated after the two years when he had found out.

9. NigeTheHat

Sure. I asked where she was from and she said 'around Oxford', because that's where she'd lived for the last several years (I presume you're not suggesting I should have gone down the 'no, where are you really from?' line ;) ). I knew her family was Russian - fairly obvious from the surname - but her accent is so English I assumed she was second-generation, born here. I only found out she was actually born in Russia when a family friend stayed with her, and I heard her flip into Russian without missing a beat.

Turned out she'd lived there until she was 14, then came here via a year in France, which is language #2.

However:

That is also true.

Tenderiser and Homer Potvin like this.
  10. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

That is pretty awesome. Your gf obviously has an edge over all of us master degree graduates. I've always been dreaming of such level of immersion in a language.

11. NigeTheHat

It is, as is she :D

Since I've known her, she's added Spanish, Italian, Latin, and German to the mix - though not to quite the same degree of total fluency - and is now starting on Polish.

12. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Now, I started this thread to avoid inferiority complex

Lifeline likes this.
  13. NigeTheHat

HELPING \o/

Though if you fancy feeling superior, I'm pretty certain I can manage that for you too - apart from English, my own language skills extend to a few words of French and about a sentence of Cornish, so you've got me well beat.

Tenderiser likes this.
  14. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm constantly amazed by anybody who can write in a non-native language, because my attempts at learning other languages have been laughable. And English is a particularly... strange?... language. So much about it is nonsensical and can't be learned from fundamental rules, which makes the whole thing so much harder.

Having had the pleasure of reading some of their work, I concur!

KaTrian likes this.
  15. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

:D I guess I was kidding, no emoticon at the end of the sentence :p

16. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Agreed.
    Grammatical rules are merely tools not to geat lost in the multi-faceted sea that English is. They're not an end in itself, though their constant application might be.

17. KaTrian

Aww, you guys... :bigoops:

But yes, English is difficult and weird. I have a Master's Degree in English Philology, and before that I matriculated from an international upper secondary school where every subject (apart from Finnish and Swedish) was taught in English, and I still make mistakes! All the time. :bigmeh:

Simpson17866 likes this.
  18. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

The Finnish are wonderful. Everyone seems to speak fluent English, and there is so much beauty - especially the women - to be seen in that country. Everyone should go there at least once. It is a very forgotten country.

19. KaTrian

You've been to Finland?? :bigeek:

I don't mean to derail the thread but...

What? Really?

People, please visit us. We are very lonely up here.

20. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Really?
    So all you came away with, is that they speak English well, and the women are pretty?.. except for the pretty women, I can go to England for that.

matwoolf likes this.
  21. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

You have no idea what I came home with.

Yes. It is a very inspiring place.

22. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

My German ex's English is probably superior to mine, and he went to England when he was 15 or 16 and stayed till he dropped out of his PhD.

My Czech husband's English is near native - here there's a distinct split in types of English, basically. When it comes to fiction, I'm constantly surprised that there are words he doesn't know (when their English is a certain level, you start assuming they know all the words you know). However, when it comes to business English and academic essays, he writes far better than I ever could. Whenever he asks me to proofread his stuff, I actually find it hard to spot mistakes because the mistakes he does make, which are few and far between as it is, are all so close to the correct version that I don't always immediately know how to correct it, or otherwise it would be something that is particularly nuanced that even a native speaker would struggle with in the first place.

In my experience, Germans have consistently impressed me with their English. The ones I've met usually have native-level spoken English. I've not read their writing but if they speak like a native speaker, I'm gonna assume their writing can't go far wrong either.

My Bolivian friend from university also had amazing English, also spoke like a native speaker.

23. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Fiction vocabulary can be pretty stretching. I guess not everybody takes a note of every single word they don't know and come back to it later to revise. I do and I've seen a pretty impressive improvement in my English over the last five years. My philosophy is that I might need that one word in the future to express myself neatly in prose.

Mckk likes this.
  24. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I've been twice

Once whilst i was still in the army - where the main thing I learnt was that UK Army cold weather gear is (or at least was) crap and if we ever had deployed to fight the Russians we would have frozen our bollocks off before we made contact with the red army. (to be fair I also learnt that the Finnish army who were play aggressor for the exercise were not to be messed with. I also learnt that the alcohol is really really strong.

More recently I went on a photographic holiday and photographed bears and great grey owls in the wild .... it was still fucking freezing but thanks to civillian cold weather gear I wasn't freezing anything off.

KaTrian likes this.
  25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

On point I know a lady who's Austrian by way of Switzerland and Germany who writes/speaks english really well and is probably a better writer than me... she's a member here but I don't think it would be right to name her...