Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Do you look like a writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Nov 14, 2020.

Not that there's a certain look for a writer, but do you think you look like one? I just got glasses for the first time and my lover said, "Now, you look like a writer." I know it was just a silly comment and probably cliche on top of it, but it sort of got me thinking about what we presume writers to look like. Do you have the look or how would you describe the look of a character who's a writer? This is totally just for fun, but often times people or characters have professions that line up with their appearance. If not a writer, what sort of profession might someone guess you have?

Malum likes this.
  2. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

I don't think I do but nor is anyone surprised when they find out I am one. I think it answers a few questions they have about my overall demeanor and explains it to them. But people don't assume that about me.

deadrats likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I think it was easier to look like a writer before the advent of word-processing - to quote the late, great Mr Wodehouse -- "bare-headed at the moment and in his shirt-sleeves, and displaying on the tip of his nose the ink-spot of the literary life..." (c:

Personally, I think I look more like a cross between Terry Pratchett and a Schnauzer:-

upload_2020-11-14_10-9-17.png upload_2020-11-14_10-9-46.png

4. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

Tired, burned out from deadlines and stressed by low pay... yes I look like a writer.

5. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

Nuh, I usually look like I own the first prize-winning cabbage patch of the county. :supergrin: Except for events with a dress code or dates - then I have to fit myself into something fancy.

A lot of my favorite writers didn't quit their day jobs, they looked like common doctors, teachers, journalists etc., so I think it totally depends on the person's background and personality. I go with the same principle for my characters. A former fisherman? Politician? Outlaw? That's what would build their image.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    deadrats and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I used to wear glasses, but I had the lenses in both eyes replaced, so no longer do.

I look like a 90s computer programmer - because that's what I am really. I suppose I might look like a writer of certain types of fiction.

deadrats and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I'm not sure what, if anything, a writer is supposed to look like, but I don't think I'm it. There seems to be a consensus of opinion that I look a bit like a musician or an artist—the latter of which I am, to some extent. If you ask me, I look like I could be just about anything, from accountant to cage fighter, by way of yarn & knitting paraphernalia vendor. Fairly nondescript, face-in-the-crowd sort of... well, face. An unusually handsome crowd, I mean. My clothes are bland and suggest nothing about the person underneath, except of course that he's an apathetic dresser who just happens to look great in anything.

8. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

Never judge a book by its cover, or so they say

LucatheRat likes this.
  9. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

My avatar is my high school graduation photo, so I'll let you decide.

10. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

This thread made me wander if I should actually do something about my look. Unfortunately, most of sites I came across can be divided in two categories: pages that begin with 'never judge a book by its cover' followed by a fat report on how the authors went to a stylist and the wonderful impact it had on their life, or 'fashion help' pages that in fact can be replaced with a big flashing banner saying 'Waste all your money here!'. Nope. Back to my plaids.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  11. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

Well I figure if a writer has a certain look, it follows their personality. If you look wacky and eccentric it's not because you're a writer, it's because you're a wacky eccentric.

LucatheRat likes this.
  12. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

I don't.

We have a lot of students that HATE academics, whereas I teach trade, and so I told the academic literacy teacher that he can use me for an example because students tend to gravitate to our side of the school. In short, trade teachers have a lot of persuasion with these kids, and so letting them know that I have written books is great for them to know because it makes writing cool.

But no one would ever suspect me of being a writer...EVER, but I use that element of surprise to my advantage.

Madman likes this.
  13. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

I agree. I just find it odd how a fine phrase was used in texts, claiming the opposite.

14. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I have been told that I look like G. R. R. Martin, by people who happen to know both of us personally. But that was before I shaved off most of my beard to accommodate a COVID mask.

The scholarly fellow with glasses (and if male, facial hair) is a common stereotype in film and television. But if I had to describe the "look" of a writer, I would define that as the look of a person whose mind is elsewhere sometimes, wrestling with a rhyme or a plot point or the perfect way to express something, instead of engaging in the present moment. They don't live in that state of mind all the time, of course; they can be great conversationalists and interviewees. But there are those moments where they seem to disconnect from the environment, because something in their minds is calling them.

deadrats likes this.
  15. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

If I can be intolerably contrarian for a moment, many artistic movements from history indicate that writers are best when they are the exact opposite - the Romanticist movement brought us the likes of Joseph Warton, Walter Scott, Laurence Sterne and the Brontes, and these were all studious characters deeply engaged with everything going on around them. These writers even began the movement of travel as aa sense of holiday and adventure - they sought out experiences in order to write about them, because if you're not engaged with the world around you, what is there to write about?

For me, a brilliant writer's mind is fully engaged in almost every moment, and those calculations made to express something - an encounter, a conversation, a view - with beauty and clarity is concurrent with their interests and passion.

Charles Dickens is one of the best examples I can think of. He used his powers of observation honed as a journalist to create the iconic and beliavable characters in his works and bring to public attention the evils of the Victorian age. How nany other famous writers began their careers as judges, clerks, journalists, whose passion in life was intense observation and interest in human behaviour.

And I have always been taught myself that good writing comes from observing everything around you. Overhearing a conversation on a bus, listening to the sough of wind in the boughs, the babble of a brook or the liquid birdsong of a forest in spring - these are all things that you can only fully appreciate when you are switched on to everything happening around you. One of the best pieces of writing advice I was given early on was to switch off Fall Out Boy and listen to the real world ... :)

Anyway that was really long and probably got way too sidetracked but I think writers shouldn't be distracted and disengaged but the complete opposite. :)

Birch Anderson and deadrats like this.
  16. alpacinoutd

alpacinoutd Senior Member

I don't look like a writer. I'm not actually calling myself a writer because I'm a learner compared with folks here.

I'm an English teacher in my own country and I'm often told I look like the quintessential English teacher!

My students tell me if they saw me in the street and didn't know me, they could tell I'm an English teacher. I don't know why!

deadrats likes this.
  17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Of course I look like writer, I even got the hat. :p
    100_1936.jpg
    In reality, I am just a tall jawa with glasses, a pony tail, pierced ears, and clean shaven.
    Also, I don't typically wear hats, so this has been a rare sighting. :p
    Not too sure what profession I look like I belong too... o_O

18. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

If glasses mark the writer as such, then yes. Otherwise no. For I am a potato. Not even a fancy potato. Just a raw potato in a field.

Cave Troll and Mark Burton like this.
  19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I've been told I'm a dead ringer for Al Pacino. So much so that people reference me to other people as that guy who looks like Al Pacino, and they're like, oh, yeah, that guy!

And then in a very weird moment, I was in the theater watching The Force Awakens with my wife and parents, and when Kylo Wren took his mask off my mom and wife both grabbed me and nearly shouted, he looks exactly like you!

Not that Adam Driver and Al Pacino look anything like each other, but I've always been the guy who looks like guys. Other guys I've been compared to:

Ray Romano
    Joel Olsteen
    Robert DeNiro
    Adam Sandler (wtf?)
    The guy from Scrubs
    Charlie Day

Yeah, no logic there at all.

20. Linzeestomp

Linzeestomp New Member

I am pretty sure I do not look like a writer. But I write, I promise!

Cave Troll likes this.
  21. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I've got medical wrist supports due to overuse of the computer keyboard. Does that make me a writer? I suppose so. It's probably more accurate than the trope wood-panelled study mahogany writing desk with typewriter and bookish glasses resting on the end of the nose as the writer pores over research and types or writes with an expensive pen.

22. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Face dancer!

23. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

I am not going through a mid-life crisis or anything, but I got a lot on my plate right now. A few weeks ago I came home from work to an empty house: kids, furniture, guns, pets, food, kitchenware, cars, and wife...all picked up in one day...and gone, with a 2 page "You suck as a husband" letter on the kitchen table...only because it was too heavy to move...with no hint that was going to happen when I left that morning.

So I am not sure what to do.

It is just me here now, so I thought about building a small cabin and being the a typical hermit. I have lived in (2) Tiny Houses wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before it was cool, so its nothing new to me. I got a nice house now, but it is way too big for just me. I don't even use 3/4 of it now that everyone is gone.

It is too late in the year to start building a cabin, but being a writing hermit would definitely give me that "you look like a writer" look. You know, nasty dog that scares people, muttering to myself all the time, unkempt, off-grid, no cell phone, by-humbug type scrooge planting mason jars of money down in the ole black swamp. Its kind of creepy, but I could play the part well I think.

24. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

I totally look like a writer. No kidding. I was once mistaken online for Anne Rice.

Cave Troll and deadrats like this.
  25. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm right there with you, and that's a look you can't just buy. You have to earn those dark circles under your eyes, messy hair, and that frazzled glow. ;)