Do you look like a writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Nov 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

How writerly would you want to look in an author photo?

2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I would want it to be a black-and-white, starkly lit, so that half my face is in shadow. And my glasses would be off. And I would not be smiling.

deadrats likes this.
  3. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I quite like the author photo I have now. Not sure how authorly it looks but I feel like it's got a creative/professional vibe. Also, I cut my actual face out of the photo, got to have a little drama and mystique!

deadrats and LucatheRat like this.
  4. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

No one thinks I write, it always comes as a surprise when I mention it.

Attached Files:

5. DifeTig

DifeTig Active Member

If I had to formulate a stereotype look for writers based on my college career, I'd say I probably don't. But, I guess sometimes I can. My stereotyped writer look would be maybe partially disheveled, frumpy, or nerdy, glasses, chews pens, or nails, and exudes deprecating criticism of small and large things constantly, OR a total secluded loner who doesn't talk much at all. I've been those, but I've also been the opposite. I've found that the truth is writers look like the many faces of life, and 1 writer can take on many looks depending on the time in the life. Its also cool to see esteemed writers at big events, all done up, cause I like to think about how they probably looked the opposite when they were working before the success.

I'm not big on Harry Potter, but I do admire J. K. Rowling's story. When I google her now, she looks like she and Tori Amos go get makeovers together before artsie events, but when she was a po mama on welfare bouta kill herself, must not have been like that. Toni Morrison started writing as a single mother every 4am raising her kids, and she is so distinguished and culturally refined in her look as a success and older woman. She was probably writing in a bath robe to start out. Then I think of the kinda horrible Steven King must of looked like (worse than his normal lol) when he was writing some of his real internal demon releases, which made him a horror writing icon too. I bet no body would have thought Tomi Adeyemi to me looks like a social media conscious black fashion mogul, not an acclaimed YA writer. I bet writing her novels, she was all cozy in oversized hoodies and hair in a messy bun. I look a total dread sometimes ironically writing about something that makes me feel like a princess or a star. I guess it's really about the writer's public persona, and if it is socially attractive, or not.

6. JLT

That's a good point. When authors or performers cross a certain threshold of familiarity to their audience, their images are transformed into something that's palatable to their media exposure. It's a different persona than their private one: more polished, better dressed and coiffed, probably much less spontaneous in their replies to questions. I've known a few of them, and have found that some of the ones who you thought might be nice people turn out to be assholes, and vice versa. Sometimes it's a struggle for them to maintain their "professional" image in public. Those are usually the ones who end up in the tabloids, doing shocking things that contradict the image that has been painstakingly created for them by their agents, co-workers, and publishers. (Somehow, the asshole who privately does charity work doesn't usually get that sort of ink.)

7. JLT

And probably kept writing in a bath robe (as, incidentally, I am doing right now) after she became famous. People who write wearing bath robes, or wearing nothing at all, usually don't do talk shows that way. Pity.

8. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I'm for this. Let's all flock to onlyfans and make "naked bathrobe writing" a new, hot niche. After every two hundred words we'll drink bourbon and read quotes by famous authors. After two thousand words we cry through a sudden depressive spell that's taken control of our emotions--throw papers around and scream about "only writing shit". Wash and repeat five days a week.

9. deadrats

Really? You cut your face out? Or is that a joke? If you're joking and you really like your author photo, what about it do you like? How did you get that creative/professional vibe to come across? I think settling on the right author photo can be hard. I want to look more smart than attractive, but I'm having a hard time pulling off either. Any suggestions are very welcome.

10. deadrats

I totally have this photo of myself on social media. LOL.

11. deadrats

I've got that covered.

I got that covered, too.

12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I can't wear turtle necks. Can't have anything anywhere near my neck or I bug out (though ties don't seem to bother me). Can't even have bed covers resting against my neck. Wouldn't even need to torture me... just slap a wet towel against my neck, and I'll tell you anything. My wife thinks I was strangled in a former life. As good an explanation as any.

marshipan, Cave Troll and LucatheRat like this.
  13. deadrats

What type of fiction does your look say? This is interesting. If you saw an author photo, do you think you could guess what they write. And I hope you haven't been out of a job since the 90s. Or are you just saying you never updated your look because the 90s were so cool? :)

14. deadrats

Why are they surprised? I don't think I'm usually surprised to find out someone's profession, are you? I guess there are certain professions that surprise people regardless of what they look like. Maybe it's because a lot of people had dreams of becoming things like athletes or writers at some point when they were younger. I guess I have met people who say "Really?" when I say I'm a writer, but I don't think it's because of the way I look. After all, I'm trying to look the part. ;)

J.T. Woody likes this.
  15. deadrats

Well, probably a wrinkled button-down and a V-neck sweater would have the same effect. ;)

16. deadrats

I think they share a similar look. There's definitely some crossover in both fields.

rick roll rice likes this.
  17. deadrats

Funny you mention this. I became a writer for the same reason. LOL. Was she joking? I guess it's sort of the whole chick-and-the-egg debate. What comes first; the look or the book?

18. deadrats

Why do I not believe you? ;)

19. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

After thinking about it long and hard throughout the years, I decided to make a caricature of myself for a writerly photo. Perhaps a Gorillaz style sketch, or something like that. My pen name would hold no merit if I were to connect my real face to my work. Yep, fame scares the shit out of me. The paparazzi, the hysterical fans, the anthrax coated love letters, the awkward moments where you are trying to sound like an intellectual when in reality you have no idea if the keyword to the question the interviewer asked you is a political figure, a whiskey brand or some kind of disease. Hm. On second thought it might be trick. There is no such disease... Anyhow! I'd rather skip those. Oh, and I'd never attend a read-aloud and signed copy session. I don't get why writers are willing to risk their privacy like this. Good! Now that I got these things figured out all that's left for me to do is write the goddamn book.

20. deadrats

@Malisky -- I feel like my byline is part of my identity. And I've worked very hard to become a writer so why shouldn't I get the credit? That's how I see it. It's my work and I want credit. When I've done in-person talks and such I've been paid for it so there's that incentive. I don't feel like I've risked anything by having my real name and sometimes photo with my published works. And I think it's a lot harder to become famous than you think. I have so much privacy that it often gets lonely.

21. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

@deadrats I was kidding. Partly at least. I think I'd be happy just by having good reviews, good sales and a sustainable income.

marshipan and deadrats like this.
  22. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

No, I really don’t. I probably have the mentality/personality, but I certainly don’t look like the stereotypical writer.

jannert and deadrats like this.
  23. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I probably don't. When I tell people I've written a novel, the reaction is usually, "Really?"

I think I look more like the fat lady who sings. The one you're supposed to be waiting for.

deadrats likes this.
  24. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

My author photo would look something like this:

[​IMG]

marshipan, Cave Troll and LucatheRat like this.
  25. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Cyberpunk, eldritch horror - neither of which I write.

And yes, the 90s were cool. :)

LucatheRat likes this.