Do you look like a writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Nov 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

No, you totally have that writer look. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if you said you had ten novels published. You've got the look. And, of course, an amazing talent and wonderful book to back it up.

I think maybe people are surprised in general when they hear someone's written a novel? The majority of people in life will never write a novel. Even the majority of people who want to write a novel won't do it. It's quite an accomplishment just to have done it and people in both the writing world and the general public know that.

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You're too kind. :)

deadrats likes this.
  3. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Well, I'm not sure professional is the right word. I meant the photo looks good quality. In my niche people don't really care all that much though. The top author has a low quality selfie and does very well. A lot of others just use an author logo. Here's my photo to show what I'm talking about:

Malum, Xoic, Malisky and 4 others like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Remind me a bit of the more abstract art that I enjoy.

ThunderAngel, deadrats and marshipan like this.
  5. TheEndOfMrsY

TheEndOfMrsY Active Member

No; i look like a gothy witch that likes make up too much haha!
    At least thats what im told, people seem shocked when I tell them all I do is read and sleep.

ThunderAngel, Malum and deadrats like this.
  6. deadrats

That's really cool. Not exactly what the places who request photos of me look for, but your image is super creative and well done. Did you make that yourself? And is that you minus the face or did you create the whole thing? Is that for your novel? What genre is it? Just curious because I don't come across authors photos like this, but I think what you've done is great.

I've pretty much done selfies or had my lover take a snap a few pictures just against a plain wall in our home . Nothing too creative. For me latest picture that will come out when my story is published in a few months, I did the black turtleneck, glasses, and made it black and white. It's not even a good picture, but I also didn't want to spend all day on it. I spent enough time just trying to get something that wasn't blurry or caught me making a stupid face. I don't think I'm all that photogenic. Sometimes I get a good photo, but it's like 1 out of 100 for me. Anyway, I know my photo sounds really cliche for an author photo, but let's just hope the same can't be said for my story. ;)

7. deadrats

Right? @marshipan's photo is like art. Not like art. It is a piece of art. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. marshipan

It was something I created from a photoshop tutorial on youtube (and it could probably use some cleaning up now that I look closely at it). I was trying to upgrade my skills so I could make covers and when it came time to pick out a picture for my author profile I decided to use it since I liked the look and liked that people couldn't really identify me. I do paranormal romance, sometimes with horror tones. I self publish only, so decisions are left up to me. It is a photo of me, although wearing a wig and dressed in a way that's not typical (I, in no way, ever wear hair bows/ribbons). I've used different photos on my author facebook but so far have only picked pictures with costume makeup because... oh, I don't know. I like looking different mostly, but also like some detachment from real life when it comes to these things.

Tutorial:

Cave Troll and Xoic like this.
  9. Malum

Malum Offline

Depends on the day. I sometimes look like a crack head and others I look like a connoisseur of the arts.

Artsy.png

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. marshipan

Much too clean for a crack head. More like a skateboarding graffiti artist.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Malum

Malum Offline

I'm a particularly effective self-destructive waste of space. I thank veganism and green tea. That was three years ago, but not much has changed. Thank you though.

12. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I'm not certain if I look like a writer or not. My darkly-inclined bohemian aesthetic probably makes me look more like an artist in some visual field, like graphics or fashion. I do make my own clothes and accessories, and I work with digital graphics and game design, but I also enjoy writing just as much. How this translates to my physical appearance is a mystery, but now I'm curious, so I'll have to look into it. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

I do look like a writer, yes. Unfortunately that writer happens to be Charles Dickens, due mainly to a horrendous lockdown beard incident.

ThunderAngel and Xoic like this.