Do You People-Watch?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by cutecat22, May 11, 2014.

1. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

On the train I do. More often than not I start thinking about how I would describe a certain person if I was writing about them or if they have any strange habits etc.

2. Delise

Delise Member

I people watch so bad that it makes people think I'm flirting...
    I still don't understand the concept of flirting but staring at people is only because I can't seem to help myself. I stare at people like how I stare at clouds or anything else in nature. Still society seems to be nicer to a girl staring at people than with a man staring at people, I don't blame them though I suppose. I invested in some nice cop shades to keep the ladies from freaking out and to keep from getting my ass beat by men.

I usually watch men more than women though. I overloaded on serial killer documentaries and so now I can't help but wonder what men around me are psychopaths and or have murdered some one in cold-blood. I only tend to do this with men in their mid-twenties. I don't think thinking negative thoughts first about people is good but lately that's where all my thoughts go. Who are you really? And who am I?

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

People are usually more wary of men than women, especially men that stare or otherwise behave suspiciously (in Finland, that would mean a man who smiles). So, good call on those cop shades, I love mine for the very same reason: I can observe others to my heart's content without appearing like an utter creep who observes others to his heart's content.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I do go as far as to pretend to be looking at my phone when I an watching people from behind my sunglasses ...

T.Trian likes this.
  5. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

@cutecat22, I do that too sometimes. :D Jeez, we're all such creeps. I mean, I usually spot a few people staring at me when I'm out and about, but now I'm starting to wonder how many I miss! :eek:

I guess it's still borderline on-topic if we use it as a means to learn how to conceal our people watching better: share your weirdest/most obvious experiences of having been caught watching or having caught someone watching you.

I'll start with an instance of the latter:
    I was filling my prescription at a pharmacy I don't usually frequent and an older lady was fixing up my meds. Anyway, as I sat there, waiting for her to index finger -type whatever pharmacists type on their computers, a girl, possibly an intern, of about 20-25 first kept hovering about, stealing glances, but then she right out hid behind a pillar and kept peeking at me around it. Yeah, really inconspicuous.

I don't think she realized I noticed it all since I was wearing my trusty mirror specs, but it was still creepy as hell. I mean, she looked like one of those slightly psychotic librarian types (no offense to librarians!), you know the quiet, somewhat obsessive kind? And the peeks/looks weren't flirty or lewd or anything but just... strange, like she was staring at an alien or a bizarre creature.
    All in all, a very Twin Peaks experience. :meh:

Oh, and lesson learned: always expect people in shades to be watching you. Chances are, they, well, are.

cutecat22 likes this.
  6. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I'm in high school, so what am I supposed to do other than people-watch?

It's great. I finish my work early and if there are people talking, I listen in. If I'm in a class without my friends, I zone out to think about my writing (new plots to add, editing plans, new ideas overall). Of course I'm never fully zoned out, and let's just say high school is such a disgusting place.

And I'm "that quiet kid", so no one suspects it of me :D

7. cutecat22

I always wanted to be a librarian. I took options at school to become a librarian!

8. cutecat22

Two incidents come to mind (one is slightly off topic) this first is, I was on a train a number of months ago when this couple got on, late teens ages. There was no sitting room so they stood. He was holding onto the hand loops and she was stood beside him, the train juddered and she, only slightly, stumbled into him. He just smiled down at her and put his arm around her shoulder. At the time, my characters were taking a subway ride. I needed to put the journey into the story but didn't know how to make it 'less boring'. That moment on the train with the late teens gave me the answer.

The one slightly off topic, my friends and I were reading the same book and had gotten into the habit of taking and texting photos to each other of things mentioned in the book. So one day, I'm in the middle of the city (at about 1 in the afternoon) with Laddo and I spot a road sign that makes me laugh out loud as a connection to this book. The sign is on a tall building so it's situated at least 20 foot up. So I whip out my mobile phone and snap a picture.
    Out of nowhere (OK, out of the doorway underneath the sign) comes this middle aged woman, drunk as a skunk, can of lager in one hand, cigarette in the other shouting at me "OI!, OI, what you tekkin photies o' me for, like?"

I crapped myself every colour of the rainbow ... run or stay and fight? I decided to stay and explain.
    "I wasn't ... I was taking a picture of the sign ..." so I pull up the photo and show it to her, she asks why, I tell her the reason, she starts laughing and telling me she's reading the same book ... Then after asking me how good the second book is (in drunken English) she totters back to her drunken mates who are still sat in the doorway and I make a quick exit stage left with Laddo scuttling behind me saying "Oh, God, Mum. I though she was going to smack you one!"

9. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

when i go out on the street to write people poems on my typewriter i get the opportunity to people watch and do it for hours. usually i'm reading but i've been particularly observant lately because it's hot out and so half naked women are out as well. so i'm just generally looking up more, which means i'm observing everyone more (not just half naked women). people are definitely the most interesting thing in the world.

cutecat22 likes this.
  10. cutecat22

They are! It's when you people watch that you realise that some people do the strangest of things that you think only a writer could think up!

11. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Everytime I look at strangers in public, I think to myself that these people who are not part of my life all have a story from birth. Who are they? What do they do? All these questions. And to them, I am just a stranger too.

12. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

Yeah, do that all the time, and also mentally categorize them (not that that is creepy or anything..) :p

13. xJAYx25

xJAYx25 New Member

This who watch people is how I based my appearance on my characters! It helps me put a face on a character!