1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Do you post your work to the internet, or keep it private?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by J.T. Woody, Jul 26, 2018.

For example, DeviatART, Protagonize, Fanfiction.net (others)?

My first full length story was a fanfiction with 36 (long) chapters posted to DeviantArt when I was in middle school (tbh, that was the only chapter story I've EVER finished writing) and a I've got a whole bunch of emo poetry up there from back in those days too! :superlaugh:

I started an original chapter series in High School on this other fiction writing website but fizzled out after 14 chapters.

I haven't put my stuff on the internet in years, but I found one of my old chapters that I posted and now I'm wondering why I've stopped:superconfused:

What about you guys?

2. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

I post it on internet to some degree because otherwise I won't ever know if I improve and how I can improve. And I enjoy sharing with others so if I can write texts that are of interest to other people then I'm all the happier from it.

3. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

I tend to be a sharer for two reasons. One, I genuinely want to improve as much as humanly possible, and that simply isn't going to happen unless I get input from other humans. Two, I like having people read my stories. It's a sense of accomplishment every time someone reads one of my stories and says that they enjoyed it.

Mind you, I do tend to keep some stories to myself, as they're intensely private and I'm not sure if they'd ever make it into the daylight, but most of my stories are open season for anyone who wants to read.

Legolas likes this.
  4. J.T. Woody

I think the reason i finished that 36 chapter fanfiction was because I had fans who wanted me to keep writing. I felt like I couldn't just stop writing. And I feel like I improved because of them. Even after I finished it, people kept writing me to continue it or write another or suggested potential plots for characters.

Of course, I was in middle school, then and relished the attention because no one else would really read my stuff other than internet people.

But, I feel like a lot of what i write now is personal(?). I dont know, I just dont feel the same way posting my current stuff as I did about posting that fanfic

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    BayView likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Some stuff, sure. I've been writing some fanfiction lately and I post that directly to archive forums. As you mention, the fact that there is interaction with readers at places like AO3 and FFN while you write, chapter by chapter, has a certain appeal. :)

matwoolf likes this.
  6. J.T. Woody

what is AO3?

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't post on the internet much anymore because I focus on writing for publication, but finding some audience for my writing is vital to me. I don't write for my own entertainment--I can daydream just as effectively, without the trouble of typing everything out. So if I write something, it's because I intend that someone else reads it.

T_L_K and deadrats like this.
  8. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I used to share just about everything I wrote because I craved external validation. It turned pretty unhealthy, actually, so these days I'm careful about relying too much on other people's input. But I have a few peices up in the workshop here, and for a while there I was a regular in the short story contests, which was fun.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

https://archiveofourown.org/

J.T. Woody likes this.
  10. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

I used to post a lot of fanfiction.

I did it because
    • I wanted raw feedback.
    • I knew I wasn’t good enough to publish yet.
    Once I started writing original fiction, I started using critique sites instead. But that slowly tapered off as well. I still show my work privately to betas, but that’s it.

I still post queries and blurbs online, but that’s it.

Feedback is a really important part of improvement, IMO.

11. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

My fiction is private, except for alphas / betas / "SOS!" coaches. So, my posting is limited to soliciting feedback for improvement (but I do most of that with my critique group now instead of posting). Occasionally I'll post something as part of a challenge, as part of improving. But posting my work just for the heck of it? Nope.

12. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

I actually plan on changing up my policy on sharing stories and limit it to beta readers. Just purely for the safety of my intellectual property (I don't think anyone on these forums would ever "steal" someone else's story, but you can never be too careful).

13. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Yeah, I've always shared my writing and my (personal) artworks pretty freely. My unfinished novels are exceptions, which I only share with a select few. I'm working on a few short stories I intend to see published (God willing) so those are private as well. Anything else, done for fun or for contests, is fair game.

14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I write novels, which means I don't like to post the chapters online really because I want a fighting chance at sending it off to an agent/publisher. If it's quality work, I'd want to have a chance at publishing it. If it's not quality work, then why on earth would I torture myself by posting it online and getting torn apart? Also, I find it kinda discouraging to see no one's read it lol. I also suffer from this thing where once I've shared something, I feel two things: 1. if they liked it, I am terrified that they won't like what comes next, and 2. I feel like I can't change the chapters that have been read, which ends up making me feel trapped because sometimes some things need to be changed.

Zerotonin and Shenanigator like this.
  15. Yona

Yona New Member

i've never really written a fanfic before but i've always wanted to :supersmile: especially when i first started. i think i was just too intimidated by the amazing writers i saw posting out there to try and put anything up myself. even now i'm still a lil cautious, a lil bit unsure... but i think it would be great practice, and a nice way to express my interest within a certain fan following or community. especially w/ AO3 around, as i think wrey mentioned
    ESPECIALLY because some of my favorite interests tend to be a bit niche :cry: there's so little content out there!!!
    i am nervous at the idea of posting work i intend to see published, though. i'm a bit of a paranoiac so, while i might doubt its quality, i'm terrified at the idea of someone stealing my ideas or something :superwhew: i'll either grow out of it or get enough money to the side so that i can copyright my shit before putting it up for feedback LOL

16. Legolas

Legolas Member

I am in the same boat. I have written my first story in two different versions. one for myself, the other for the public.

The copy I have for the public has never been read because of the blog platform I started with. I am currently in the middle of moving it to a different blog site that has tons of traffic. While I am moving it and making some corrections to my story, I am keeping it private. I will make it public again soon.

side note: @J.T. Woody I have been on deviant art for as long as I can remember, but I cant say I ever read a blog there. I do enjoy the art a great deal there though.

17. EmptySoul

EmptySoul Active Member

I post the stuff written just for fun, has no market appeal, or that I have given up on selling. In both cases the goal is honest feedback and perhaps a different perspective on my own writing.

18. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

I can't share my writing before it's published, but I used to post fanfic on A03.

19. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Everything I share is on workshops for critique. I use a different title and improve as much as I can because everyone looks for different things in fiction.

Of course, when a work has been accepted for publication, I post it on my social media and LinkedIn hoping that people will purchase the magazine or read the story online.

20. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I have never got into posting my work on the internet, but I don't have much variety in what I write either. Usually, I just work on my book manuscript, which I have hopes on being published one day. Obviously that isn't going on the internet. I have considered writing shorter pieces and posting on Wattpad, but I've just never really got into writing for that.
    So I guess I'm pretty private. I just share with betas.