Do you use the semicolon often?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by marcusl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Ghosts in Latin

Ghosts in Latin New Member

I think omitting viable punctuation marks based on the genre of what you're writing is silly. Of course, some marks are going to be used more in one form of writing than another, but that's reasonable.

Edit: Also, Cogito, I really like the book Catch-22.

2. hewhorulestheworld

hewhorulestheworld New Member

It seems as if the usage of the semicolon is simply not in some sort of literary 'vogue'. While the annoyance it causes to professional 'literary critics' such as professors and editors alone should be enough to discourage its improper use, from the arguments above I'm not entirely sure that there is any real argument against it other then stylistic preference.

3. tonten

tonten Active Member

What if you write a sentence with 2 independant clauses with an conjunctive adverb like however, moreover, therefore, consequently, otherwise, nevertheless, thus, but, etc.

Example:

It rained heavily during the afternoon; however, we managed to have our picnic anyway.

How do you avoid the semicolon in this case? Change the semicolon into a dash?

It rained heavily during the afternoon- however, we managed to have our picnic anyway.

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

It is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more common to use a semi colon in British English; just open a GOOD (and yes, a recent) novel published in the UK and check if you don't believe me.

I used a semi colon above to link two related sentences. A semi colon is less abrupt than a full stop (period), at least to British readers, and more formal than a dash.

I think it may be a question of what you are used to. To US readers, a dash is better, but for UK readers, a dash is used very sparingly because it appears too intrusive.

A comma does NOT replace a semi colon, but of course, re-wording can eliminate the need for a semi colon OR a dash. Perhaps this is what we should try to do? I mean, long, convoluted sentences become wearisome after a few pages, and I have Maia and other people on this forum to thank for weaning me off long (and often unclear) sentences when I write fiction.

However, semi colons are certainly used often in academic writing, partly because sometimes the information being given is complex and it's necessary to clarify and exemplify constantly, so sentences do get long and complicated.

5. madhoca

If this sentence is punctuated correctly, it has to be:

It rained heavily during the afternoon; however, we managed to have our picnic. ('anyway' is unnecessary here combined with 'however')

I would avoid the semi colon by finding another word for 'however', which seems too weighty and dry-as-dust a word for fiction writing. The whole sentence is just dull, and, personally, I'd write something along the lines of:

The rain was tipping down all afternoon, but we didn't let it stop our picnic.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. Change it to a period:

Either that, or change however to but and use a comma:

A semicolon is the indecisive, wishy-washy compromise between separating sentences completely and joining them with a conjunction.

This is not to say say you must never use a semicolon join. It does mean that such use should extremely rare.

Throw away the crutch and be decisive.

7. madhoca

This is, of course, a sweeping statement and totally personal opinion! (Although I'm sure many people would agree with you.)

Using a full stop instead of a semi colon in the example gives two unattractive, short and jarring sentences--my personal opinion this time, for what it's worth.

But I absolutely agree that using 'but' or re-writing is the best option.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Of course it's an opinion. So is just about anything anyone posts on the site. How informed it is, and how much it's worth, is for each reader to decide.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i was going to write about what cog did, so all i can do it ditto it...

mh...
    i have to disagree with your comment about not needing both 'however' and 'anyway' because 'anyway' shows that although it was raining, they still had the picnic, so it is needed and is not redundant with 'however'... it's the 'however' that is not needed at all and can be dropped with no change of meaning...