?

Do you usually write about the same gender?

1. Yes.

23.7%
  2. No.

23.7%
  3. I have an even amount of both, usually.

52.5%
  1. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

Do you usually write about the same gender?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AmyWriter, Aug 20, 2015.

I often find that authors will write about their same gender. I also find that this is not the case with myself. I usually have male characters (to my disbelief). I always tell my friends about my characters and often they will say "Oh, he's a boy." Does anyone else have this happen? I would like to see.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

No, I feel equally comfortable with each. My WIP alternates POV between a man and a woman.

Most authors do seem to have their preferences though.

jannert likes this.
  3. Samson Michael

Samson Michael Member

I write both, granted, as a male, I do worry about how I portray females far more than how I portray my male characters. I try to give all characters depth and realism, however, because I'm not female, I sometimes fear that my female characters will appear more masculine than I initially intended. Quite simply, I write whatever gender the main character needs to be.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    jannert likes this.
  4. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

I mostly write male characters - I am female but I feel much more at home in a male mindset. It's my female characters who tend to lack authenticity.

jannert and Fullmetal Xeno like this.
  5. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

I'm comfortable with either gender - I'm a boy myself. I actually don't tend to think too much about the gender of my characters. My focus is always on making my characters complex and interesting, real people with depth and insecurities and fallacies. To me a characters sex, unless directly related to the plot, is not that important.
    The novel I'm currently working on has four POV characters, three of them are girls and only one is a boy. I'm quite comfortable writing them

jannert and Samson Michael like this.
  6. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I actually have a harder time writing characters of my own gender (male) and my stories end up being very female-dominated. When I do write male characters, they can be easier to slip into in terms of "hacking" their thoughts (especially regarding the opposite sex), but I tend to find male characters less interesting and it takes more effort to create interesting ones.

jannert likes this.
  7. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

If I tried to describe why I write about males more often, it would be exactly like this.

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Huh? Just messing. No I am pretty fluid when it comes to writing gender. Even though it is far simpler to write male than female. Alien species is a whole new ball game though.

I would use the As Good as it Gets anecdote, but I feel it would fall on its face. :D

9. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I'm only on my first piece of fiction writing and I've decided to write it in first person from a male perspective. This is because I feel like I identify more with male lead characters than female ones despite being female myself. I just find it easier to write as a male.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Most of my main characters are females, so opposite of my own gender. I can count the number of male protagonists with...one finger. Mainly its due to the fact that I feel more at home with my female protagonists than my male ones. Granted I do have plenty of male characters, only one of them is an actual main character, though.

11. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I've only ever done a couple of first person projects, both from a male POV. Though, one guy has amnesia and no sense of cultural mores.
    I have had (abandoned) projects where I comfortably wrote in third-person, following a female character, or hopped between a mostly female mixed cast.
    I suppose it helps, basing characters on people I know, at least in part.

12. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I can write either or. Sometimes I feel more comfortable writing male character because there's less obligation for a romance or to explain why there is no romance. I feel like when a female character doesn't have a man I have to justify, explain and somehow reassure the reader that she's not a hobgoblin.

That being said when I write female character's they're mostly young.

13. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Depends what you mean by 'about'.

I've never written anything with a female MC, but of course my writing contains characters of both sexes.

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I usually have both in my novels. My current WIP is actually the first one that has only one (female) perspective. I actually like writing males as well. It's interesting to get inside the head of the opposite sex. Sometimes I get the impression that my males are more vivid and relatable than my females, because of the comments I get from readers. :)

15. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

I noticed that many "trios" of characters consist of two boys and one girl, so I decided to make mine two girls and one boy to start with.
    As I began to add more characters to the central group, I soon realised that the boy was becoming vastly outnumbered, though the two side-story groups have a 50/50 ratio of genders.

16. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

Could you please not use acronyms? I don't know what they mean.

17. Link the Writer

WiP= Work in Progress
    POV= Point Of View
    MC= Main Character

Sorry if this wasn't what you meant, but that's what we mean by them.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  18. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

WIP - Work In Progress
    MC - Main Character
    POV - Point Of View

When I created my first MC, I wasn't sure whether I wanted it to be male or not (he's not human)........then........I decided to do both and now each MC has their own separate storylines.

EDIT: Lol, beaten to the punch.

Link the Writer likes this.
  19. AmyWriter

AmyWriter Member

Thank you.

20. Enyo

Enyo Member

Yes. My main characters are always female because it's the gender I'm drawn to overall. I can write men and boys. I just have no desire to make them MC's.

21. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Wait, do you mean if I write characters of the same gender as myself, or if I always write the same genders in every story (eg. all my MCs are of one gender)?

Cus I'm a woman and my MCs are almost always guys. So depending on what you meant re your question, my answer could be yes or no :ohno:

I connect just fine with both genders. I find my female characters are more similar to me, and my male characters are usually the type I'd find attractive myself. No one's ever complained about my male characters, so I believe I write men just fine. My women, when they're not primary characters, sometimes suffer - I blame that on too much anime. I totally admit there's some level of wish fulfillment in my writing and I simply rather enjoy writing male characters I could fancy myself - so since I'm straight, male MCs it is :blowkiss:

22. Link the Writer

Heh, I'm the exact opposite. My MCs are almost always the ladies and some of them even develop romantic interests with guys.

I wonder if there's a subtle message here? o_O

23. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What message? (if it's really obvious, I've missed it. Brain not functioning atm)

For some reason I've always thought you were a dude... You're a dudette!? :bigeek:

24. Link the Writer

Oh, if only I was so I could bask in the glory of having fooled the entire forum for six years into thinking I was a dude. Nope, I'm a dude. :D And I can count up to possibly three dude MCs in all my stories/story ideas. :D The rest are dudettes.

Mckk likes this.
  25. Jack13star

Jack13star Member

My WIP has both a male and female POV. I think this happens because I start writing from the view of a woman, but, when I introduce the male character I find I enjoy writing him, and can usually write better as a male POV, although I am female. Strange :confused: