1. Cromulent

Cromulent New Member

Does anyone use OneNote to organise their writing?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Cromulent, Apr 24, 2018.

I started using OneNote about four months ago to plan out what I was going to write on my blogs, but now that I want to get into creative writing I'm thinking I might start using OneNote for that as well.

I've found it to be a handy tool for all kinds of things. This is especially true as you can embed videos and other media sources into it.

I've downloaded Scrivener for Windows as well and am checking that out but keeping everything in Microsoft Office will mean that I can use Grammarly while writing and it integrates with Microsoft OneDrive nicely so I can keep things in sync with other computers.

2. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Personally, I use QuollWriter and Wikidpad. Plus, I also have a stack of notepads and what not that i carry around with me to scribble down ideas/feedback/comment on my work. Mostly though, they contain random doodles. haha.

So, no, I do not use onenote to organising their writing. But I do know my brother uses it for his current thesis. Mostly just to organise his notes, references and the likes. I do not know if he uses anything else tho in conjuction with onenote.

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I use a combination of things, including OneNote. A lot of writers use it. It's especially handy for organizing research because of the clipping and embedding and photo organizing features. I don't use Scriv because I'm a linear writer who doesn't outline so most of its features would be wasted on me. I use Word.

4. talltale

talltale Member

I love using OneNote to organize my writing ideas. It's become an invaluable tool in my thinking and planning out process.

5. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

I'm using OneNote for storing research and ideas, I particularly like how it has a browser extension (for both Chrome and Edge) that clips data and sends it to OneNote proper. The biggest problem I have with it is that I clip too much, and have to wade through a lot of useless material at times.

Shenanigator likes this.
  6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I use Scrivener. OneNote annoys me in many small and subtle ways.

7. Caffrey

Caffrey Member

I use OneNote and Word. I embed the word files in a table in OneNote, and have other tabs for research, notes, plot guides, characters, etc..

I did try Scrivener but at around a week in it became inoperable and a whole bunch of work was gone. A quick Google showed that it was a common problem that had been around for a while and had never been fixed, so I dropped it like a hot coal and stuck with Word and OneNote.

I know lots of people use it without issues but I don’t feel comfortable with it. I’ve used the Word and OneNote combination for years without any issues.

Shenanigator likes this.
  8. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

They tried to make all of us use it at work for taking notes on conference calls. I can't really articulate exactly what bugged me about it, but after trying for a couple of weeks I told my boss I'd rather find another job. Luckily, like all the brilliant ideas our leadership comes up with, it died a fairly swift and painless death. Some of my co-workers still use and love it though, so it's got to be something about my work style that makes it a bad fit for me.

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

One of the things that annoys me is the way it plops paragraphs in little paragraph boxes in the middle of the "page", instead of the page just being like a word processing document. It's like a scrapbook. I don't want a scrapbook.

10. Glen Barrington

You might find, "AllMyNotes" by Adonai software useful. It's a fairly standard hierarchy tree type design, written by a married couple who claim to have worked for InfoSelect "Back in the Day". In spite of My love for OneNote, I still find AllMyNotes pretty useful for organizing ideas.

AllMyNotes

ChickenFreak likes this.
  11. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

OneNote is a staple at work. It does the job, and Office is there.

I'm always surprised when I hear stories about Scrivener losing work. I guess it happens, but it's a pretty safe setup.

The format of a Scrivener project is open, documented, and simple. Your files are just files, perfectly usable outside of Scrivener. Even without Literature and Latte's documentation, it's still pretty easy to repair the project XML. With it, and they hand it out freely for the asking, you can create a project out of nothing but Notepad and a handful of RTF documents. It's relatively easy to construct something Scrivener will recognize as its own.

OneNote is one of the few things that Microsoft got right. It could be better, but it's pretty cool as is. Its bailiwick is organization, not writing. It's a shame they didn't make it both, but it's good for organization.

12. Glen Barrington

As much as I hate to be the last guest to leave a party, I just wanted to say I have discovered the joys of Scapple by Literature & Latte. This very inexpensive title ($14.99 US) is a cross between mind-mapping software and a sort of stripped-down OneNote. As a note-taking program, OneNote is clearly more powerful and more versatile, but for that gray area that lies between research and planning, it's pretty nice. Plus, it integrates with Scrivener, just drag and drop a note or a mind map node (same thing to Scapple) to Scrivener and it becomes part of the Binder.

13. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

@Cromulent

I use OneNote and Word2016 under the Office suite.

OneWordofAdvice – YouTube tutorials for both.

Most users just jump straight in and plod away. All MS Suite products look alike and seem similar to navigate. This to help you get started at first. Usually however you want to use a particular MS product NOW for a particular need or project. This is where the problems start.

I don’t recommend this jump straight in method as you’ll lose efficiency more time you spend in the new product. The Project can get bogged down as you learn on the fly. A good example of this in Word and building automatic content tables and sub-headers. Learn how to do it properly from the very start and the file becomes easy to navigate or turn into PDFs with it working properly.

Dedicate 10 hours (10x 1 hour slots) to learning one product from the very basics even if you think you know most of it.

YouTube carry FREE MS Tutorials. I mainly use excel but word was always second fiddle and an also ran. Doing a good quality WORD tutorial completely changed my word bad habits. If you want to BUY a book but isn’t necessary start with Word 2016 In depth, OneNote In depth etc.

https://www.bookdepository.com/category/1929/Microsoft-Word

OneNote and OneNote 2016

MS is sunsetting OneNote2016 so make sure you know the differences.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/04/22/microsoft-is-sunsetting-onenote-2016-heres-what-you-need-to-know/#551c480320d0

OneNote definitely use tutorials first. It’s an amazing tool

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoKB8OFmzbny0DwN0CXkIw-qzxXQ

Can you this brief example? This is my OneNote Online Book Structure Starter Template. So, 3 ACTs, 9 Blocks, 27 Chapter method. Below is an idea for a Naval Action novel using this template.

This gives me a foundation or framework. I can also add tabs dedicated to research link clips and different format content.

I’m a really big fan of OneNote but it was a steep learning curve to get it to work for me properly.

Norfolk

14. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Usually, I use that to summarise my ideas apart on the storey so later can be appropriately developed. Is more like a reminder than anything else. Also, is used to write down research of a specific theme, or subject so I can create or used to explain on the plot. I don't think is a bad tool to use is just how you use it :)