Does anyone work on many projects at once?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ferret, Jun 18, 2007.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a book i'm writing for someone about having a sister, mother and very young daughter all die in a short period of time, that's currently in the polishing and pre-submission promotional stage, after a year of doing the actual writing...

the occasional essay/poem i toss out when a subject presents itself that i can't ignore...

the dozen or so 'whatevers' [virtually anything that takes words] sent to me for help, that i'm working on at any given time...

ditto for whatever fellow islanders need me to write for them [legal docs/letters/reports/ad infinitum...

getting my next 4 books in shape to be printed, dealing with the printer [when i can scrape the $ together out of what's left from my monthly ss check after eating and paying the sky-high utility bills we suffer from here]...

running my donation center and writing appeals for books and support, plus promo material for that and for the abused women's shelters i planned for the island and worldwide, as well as the international peace center i dreamt up and hope to see established here...

in my spare time, my latest 1,500 jigsaw 'project' that gives my brain a rest...

2. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I'm working on:

- Novel called " We Were There" (title may change). Project is stalled for now, as I hit a major roadblock on where to take the story.

- Journalistic novel (this is my second year working on it) about Cambodia's "Khmer Rouge" years during the 1970's. I've drawn up a sizeable list of people to interview, which I've scraped together from my father's old acquaintances while he was an English professor in Cambodia, their friends, and the parents of a few of my Cambodian classmates in high school/uni. A lot have refused, wishing not to speak of it any longer. But a few have consented by phone, and I will be meeting up with them in the course of the next few months.

It will not cover the actual events during the genocide, but will only retell the memories and events of what happened on the very first day, April 17, 1975.

I'm very obsessed with this project; It has wholly consumed me. I will be visiting the country next year or so to record some interviews, if possible. Unfortunately, this means, I won't be writing much else.

3. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

- A comic "script" (I'll be drawing it so it's not in proper script format) set in a 1920's-esque world with some futuristic technology (genetic engineering) following members of an organized crime syndicate that runs the city where the story takes place.

- And two other comic ideas that are too underdeveloped at the moment to give decent summaries of; one is about an underground city run by magic, the other about a war between two countries in a fantasy world.

4. ModestKittee

ModestKittee New Member

One novel. =) My first and I also hope to see it through until the end.

5. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

-The first novel in a series of action/adventure books
    -The sketches and outlines of another six or so novels in the series

6. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I am getting the sequel to my novella started called Twilight's Vengeance. I think that title will stick since I went with Twilight's Protection for the title of the first.

A short story working title First Hit about a guy with a Mind like MacGuyver but who uses it to comit assasinations. My favorite one is where he gives a guy a pill filled with the venom of two bee stingers. The guy is hyper allergic to bee venom.

Another project about people born with powers. Right now it is called Twist of Fate.

My other project is a Space Opera dealing with Atrophy and the begining of the end of all life.

7. crea14

crea14 New Member

-my first novel (i've actually stuck with it, surprisingly)
    -several short stories that get stuck in my brain
    -i like to write fanfiction to practice my writing skills... so, yeah...
    -poems just come out of me all the time, anything i see gives inspiration really

8. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

been working on my first novel, getting it finished, and then taking the first half of the larger tome and making it a prequel/sequel

9. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

A fantasy novel regarding the total economic, social, political, and religious implosion of an empire... It's more interesting than it sounds in that sentence.

10. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

-First book of a series I've only very loosely planned. And that's in 3 years of planning. Oof.

-Other assorted stories, some of which may be short stories, some of which may be full novels, I haven't decided yet, but I came up with about 20+ different titles, so we'll see what happens with what. I kind of would like to figure out which ones are going to be short story so I can get to work on them and then send those out to maybe magazine publishers or something.

-The LiveJournal community called Autumn Write is helping me to get through these things, but I'm not doing a very good job of meeting my goals in Autumn Write. Quite the hellish circle!

11. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I am starting my first novel, the first in a trilogy, about people with super-powers called variants (thanks maia :D). They will be titled Vigilante, Renegade and Drifter.

12. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

- In the process of wiriting my first major novel attempt. So far nine chapters in (200 pages/half way). Fantasy/Adventure, First of a possible series of five.

I would try to write other works but im spending too much time polishing (not complaining)

13. architectus

architectus Banned

Working on a novel based around real events that happened to me when I got involved with the witchboard and psy-vampirism. It is on hold right now while I pratice with short stories. If I do not get a short story published in the next two years, then I will hire a ghost writer to rewrite my nove for me.

Naturally then I am working on a bunch of short stories, mosty flash fiction.

I am also working on my art.

14. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Working through 'to do' list to finish final draft of novel before sending it off to an editor.

15. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I am currently working on a fantasy novel that may be the first in a series. The novel is from an idea and short story that I wrote about 14 years ago and modified a few times over the years. The idea of how to turn it into a novel only came to me last month.

I've also been going over all my old short stories that I could find seeing what can be done with them. One or two of the characters in those short stories are likely to end up in the above mentioned novel.

The novel I am working on is my second one. My first one was a sci-fi novel and I don't know where the manuscript is now.

16. CobaltLion

CobaltLion New Member

"Identity:" My first novel, based off a set of short stories. Military Sci-Fi. (275 pages so far)

"Erebus:" A collection of short horror stories that I'm co-authoring with my boyfriend. (90Pages, or about 7 stories.)

17. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Two connected novels in planning (2 chapters written for one, but it's touch and go as to whether they're worth the paper their printed on) fantasy/adventure but there's a little victorian steam punk in there too.
    One in the process of writing, sorry no title yet, along the lines of the fantasy/grotesque, good fun to write :D

And I've got a reveiw of the Southampton Boat show to go in the mag i work for ... [checks calendar] ... 3rd of Oct, ... loads of time :p

18. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Ditto.

19. Rio Moss

Rio Moss New Member

I'm shopping around a thriller to some publishers in Europe, so far 4 rejections and 3 non-replies.
    There's a second thriller on the go which I hope to finish by year-end, and then there's my blog thriller series which you can find in my signature.
    My day job is writing for a newspaper every afternoon and evening, so I really should get away from this computer for more exercise.

20. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

2 Projects I've been working on

Characters to a western story with the plot revolving around redemption.

A short script about a cheap bank robber.

21. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Roll call! Haha, I'm trying to see how many people have 2, 3, four, more!? projects going at once. Even better, how many of you have posted bits and pieces from numerous projects on this board for critiquing? I think I've done this a couple times, and I feel like I'm annoying or something with that.

Started this thread because I have yet another new project I wanted to post a little bit of for review.

22. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I would say that most of us have several projects on the go at any one time. Half the battle is getting something, anything complete. The second half of the battle is making it any good!

23. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've got two projects on at this moment in time.

24. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I'm currently working on four "projects" - each has it's own schedule and I work on all of them a certain amount each day. They are listed in order of importance.

Palace Dawgs - Vietnam War story; completion date of March 31, 09

Kids, Pancakes & Sunday Mornings - cookbook; completion date of end of June 09

Chester - story set in an orphanage for unwanted kids; completion date of September 09

Rice Wine - modern day adventure/thriller set in Cambodia & Vietnam; comp in early 2010
    (I posted the first chapter of Rice Wine as a short story in the weekly contest. The actual adventure begins in the second chapter, when father and son are inside Cambodia. Here is the link if you're interested:

http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=10877

Other stories in concept/outline phase are: the sequel to The Last Human War (sci-fi), Queen Exchange (espionage) and Tiger's Breath (another VN war story). I spent the past 40 years taking care of other people (family and employees) in a business that I hated. Now, it's MY turn to write all the stories I've been thinking about for a lifetime, hence the heavy schedule.

25. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

There are at least four that I've worked on in small bits for the last several years. I've always been too eclectic to stay with one particular project non stop till the end. I cycle through them every so often. I think it's more fun that way, personally. I have a 'ten year' goal to see something finished.