1. Alora

Alora New Member

Does this plot sound boring/over-used?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Alora, Jul 1, 2008.

Ok, so I've always wanted to write a story about a slightly crazy psychic, with fiery red hair and a quirky personality. And then I thought..why not add a adorable shy boy who's super smart? And eventually, I came up with this;

It started as a normal day for Lulu, which, of course, meant the apocalypse. And normal for this obviously... odd girl meant something bad..very bad, was about to happen. Little does she know that the word 'bad' could hardly described what was slowly taking place. The sins of humanity, unknown to the human race, slowly slithered down into the underworld, know to the mortals as 'the sewer', giving it's demonic inhabitants enough power to rise up from the darkness. Narrowly escaping doom, the heroin ducks into the sewer to escape the attacks. While trudging through the mucky waters, she bumps into Micheal, a nervous, shy, and extremely smart boy, who also happened to evade the baddies above the darkness. While they deside to team up, a annoying tattle-tale, demonic messenger overhears their conversation and reports to the head demon that two humans have survived. So the head demon sends out her three best warriors; Baka, a bimbo, Kosh, a powerful warrior who's overly serious, and Kitsune, who's trashy, extremely flirty, but kunning in battle. And so, the two totally unsuspecting (They're going to be like eighteen and nineteen.) teens fight their way through the labrinth or waste and rats (I was thinking of having them form a army of rats later on.) and fight their way past the demons of the underworld. Shame the fate of humanity rests on them, huh?

I don't want it to be a cliche' teen book, so I was wondering on what you all thought? I'm only thirteen, by the way, so no 'You suck!' please. xD

2. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

whoa. it sounds like my life. minus the psychic part.

But, no plot is original. Just write it.

3. Klee

Klee New Member

The only thing that can make your plot successful is your own ability as a writer.

You don't need to ask other people what they think of your idea, just write it and find out yourself.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

As the others said, and as has been said many times on this site and many other writing sites, only your ability as a writer can make this plot work or fail.

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

OT, I know, but...

I realize that only a writer's skills determine how a plot, no matter how great sounding or stupid sounding it may be, will turn out in the end. And truthfully, I don't even bother reading any "How does this plot sound?" posts in any detail because I'm usually not interested.

That having been said, I get the feeling that the majority of people who post here to ask this question are just looking for opinions--not right, not wrong--on what individual people think of what they have of a plot so far. Yes, the story isn't written up yet, so the people responding might not be able to give an accurate answer--they might think a plot idea sounds good, then if it ends up written, they might think it sucks. But that's just it. These people are posting asking for opinions on their ideas. Somebody might think it sounds interesting; somebody might not; somebody might suggest something that helps the potential writer actually write the plot well.

To tell everybody who comes in here, "There's no point in asking for our opinions" seems kind of pointless and rude, especially if this is the first place they post to. They're looking for opinions, so why not give them? Sure, the opinions are based only on the plot summary given, and thus nobody can actually comment on the story or how well it might turn out. But I'm sure the writers will discover that on their own, in time. Right now, they just want opinions on their plot ideas. They're sticking a toe in the water, and that's difficult. They really don't need to be lectured that they shouldn't even bother asking.

I thought the only stupid question is the one which isn't asked...?

The plot forum may be for people to work on particular plot details instead of things like "Here's my plot, what do you think?" But these are potential writers too and all they want are opinions and feedback. Instead of telling them to not bother asking, why not just give them opinions (albeit tentative ones, with a disclaimer attached)? Maybe a few yeas or nays is all it will take them to write the story and find out if the plot really works or not.

I hope I don't end up banned or something for this, but it's something that's been bugging me for a while now. I used to ask all sorts of questions about my writing, some of them incredibly stupid. But it was through interacting with people and getting their opinions and answers that I finally learned to focus on the writing itself. I think that's what these users need.

*crosses fingers that she'll be able to use this forum again tomorrow*

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I understand what you are saying, but the point I keep trying to get across is that there is no benefit to the writer in asking for an opinion on a raw plot idea.
    The only opinion the writer should be seeking at that point is his or her own, whether the writer likes the idea enough to carry it through the time and effort to develop it.

There are three things the writer might hear:
    1. It's been done (translation - don't bother)
    2. It sounds great - can't wait to read it (empty encouragement)
    3. Instead of X, do Y (translation - this is how I would write it)

So my response it that the writer need to look within, not to everyone else. Because asking for an opinion on a story idea that bare is about half a pace past asking, "Should I write. or shouldn't I?"

And answering the question on that surface level is not doing the writer any favors, any more than posting a slapdash review of "Nice story, keep it up!"