1. learnerofenglish

learnerofenglish New Member

Does this sentence have the correct punctuation?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by learnerofenglish, Apr 27, 2010.

It becomes my refuge from the everyday world: the oasis in the middle of the desert of life.

I'm referring to the colon between 'world' and 'the'. Somehow, it doesn't sound quite right. If you can also rearrange the word orders to make this sentence more grammatically correct and pleasing, please do so.

2. Ninetails666

Ninetails666 New Member

According to Microsoft Word 2007, its right... I don't know how it just is... So I think your fine with either the colon or the other one (semi-colon??), yet again, Word 07 is pretty stupid so I'm kinda hesitant if I should say 'go for it'.

Don't take my word for it if you don't want to but my Word says it's correct.

Sorry I can't be of any more help -^-^'''''-

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It would be better to write something along the terms of
    What you have there is very awkward to read.

4. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I'd personally say...

The second part simply adds poetic imagery to the first part. I'd save the colons for when the second part actually expands upon or clarifies the first part. For instance, if you're talking about a literal oasis in a desert becoming your refuge, the colon would be acceptable in my eyes. But in all likelihood, there would still be better ways to put it. Less awkward ways.

I also have to disagree with thirdwind's correction. In the most unoffensive way possible, I think it sounds a little dull and uninspiring when you word it like that. But that is, of course, assuming that I'm correct in assuming the bit about the oasis being a non-literal metaphor. If we're speaking of an actual oasis, then I would take thirdwind's example. But since you said "desert of life," I'd guess that isn't the case.

5. Manav

Manav New Member

I will suggest you to omit the second part because it sounds cliche.

6. learnerofenglish

learnerofenglish New Member

Thanks for replying ^^
    I think I will go with FMK, and yes it refers to a non-literal metaphor.
    Again thanks a lot for helping me :D

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

aside from the cliched wording itself, i agree with fmk on the best way to punctuate it...

8. Eternity

Eternity New Member

What about a semi-colon? (It becomes my refuge from the everyday world; the oasis in the middle of the desert of life.) Otherwise, I'd go with FMK's comma, too. :)

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as does my fellow ;-hating pal cog, i always advise not using semi-colons in fiction... in all instances, a comma, period, em dash, or conjunction will do a much better job...

10. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    A comma there would be fine. Fowler says that using a semicolon there is "not wrong", and that using a colon instead of the semicolon is an "individual choice". So it's some way away from the usual punctuation, but it's still legitimate. Interestingly, Fowler notes in particular that a colon is used in that context in metrical Psalms, and your sentence does have the structure of the Hebrew poetry of the Psalms. If that's the effect that you want then it's a good reason to keep the colon. In isolation I like your version better than any of the alternatives yet proposed, but that might not be the case in context.